1993 - Page 26
Bevercotes Closed 1993, After 36 Years
- Continued -
Colliery mothballed March 1993, closed September 1993. 1 million tonnes was achieved only 5 times. It was planned and expected to produce plus one million tonnes from the outset once the required face room had been opened up.
Bevercotes No1 tower headstock being demolished by explosion
Underground locos: 2’ 4” gauge 3 x 0-4-0 DMF 68hp HC 1965, 2 x 0-4-0 DMF 68hp HC 1966, 0-4-0 DMF 68hp HC 1968, 0-4-0 DMF 68hp HC 1972.
Sub-Area Managers / Group Managers / Production Managers
- Jack Hanman (3115) Group Manager 1958-
- Charlie C Clarke (3684) Group Manager No4 1961-1965 (killed in car crash)
- Jim B Kerr (5266) Group Manager 1965-1967 (transferred to Special duties 1972, committed suicide on London Underground at Holborn Station 1976)
- TJ Robert (Bob) Sales (5516) Production Manager 1967-1975 (later committed suicide)
- Robert (Bob) Anderson (5547) Production Manager 1975-1986
- David S Widdowson (8857) (died 2007).
Managers for Bevercotes:
- Arthur Holmes (350) (transferred from Bilsthorpe Jan 1953, died suddenly Apr 1953 aged 62)
- John H Otter (5592) (sinking, transferred from Manager Bilsthorpe) 1953-1956
- Edward Bishop (2707) (sinking, transferred from Blidworth) 1956-1958
- John William (Bill) Rawlins (4225) (promoted) 1959-1964
- George D Edwards (5201) General Manager (transferred from Agent/Manager Ollerton, transferred back to General Manager Rufford) 1964-1975, died 2005
- David S Widdowson (8857) 1975-1985 (General Manager promoted from Clipstone, promoted to Production Manager Nottinghamshire Area) d 2007
- Robert (Bob) W Robson (10955) 1986-1990 (promoted from Bilsthorpe, General Manager transferred to General Manager Harworth)
- Derek R Bell (10149) 1990-1993 (General Manager promoted from Deputy Manager Sherwood).
- Jim EG Cannon (7674) 1967-1969 (transferred from Bilsthorpe, then transferred to Sherwood)
- George Brown (5088) 1969-1971 (transferred from Manager Sherwood)
- Peter A Chambers (8313) 1971-1975 (promoted from Assistant Manager Rufford, promoted to Manager Silverhill)
- Harry Lingard (8786) 1976-1985 (transferred from Deputy Manager Sutton) d 2013
- Gordon F Froggatt (8164) 1982-1988 (Ops, promoted from Assistant Manager Thoresby, promoted to Manager Creswell)
- Alan Allsop (9700) 1988-1989 (transferred from Harworth, promoted to Manager Gedling, then Rufford)
- Neil M Bacon 1988-1990 (Services)
- Willie McGranaghan (11633) 1989-1991 (promoted from Assistant Manager Sherwood, transferred to Deputy Manager Bilsthorpe, later Asfordby then Manager Rossington, later Wistow, Riccall (-2004) then Harworth (Nov 2004-Oct 2006)
- Dave C Bishop (10774) 1991-1993 (promoted from Welbeck)
- David M Evans 1991-1993 (Services).
- Harry Jones (2nd) from Ollerton)
- Mike Goldsby (8208) (promoted from Undermanager Wolstanton Mine, Staffs, 1968, but after only 4 months was transferred to Thoresby) died 2006
- Brian Allen (9024) 1969-1970 (promoted from Lofthouse, North Yorkshire, prior to the inrush there, transferred to Rufford as Undermanager, due to lack of production and blocking out, later Deputy Manager, then Manager Silverhill) – died 2005
- Don Lunn (6163) 1969-1973 (promoted from Thoresby, back to Undermanager, transferred to Rufford)
- Herbert H (Bert) Grime (8956) 1969-1971 (promoted from Undermanager, back to Undermanager 1971-1973, then back again to Assistant Manager 1973-1975 when production recommenced, promoted to Area Tunnelling Team Engineer HQ, replacing ‘Eddie‘ Agar Gilfillan an ex Sinker at Bevercotes) 1985-1990 (worked for Caledonian Mining Co, died 1991)
- Pat J Murphy (7912) 1971-
- DM Evans (11…)
- Ron Errington (Asst Manager Services) promoted from Calverton Aug 1990-1993.
Undermanagers for Bevercotes:
- FW Gregory (7430) 1961-1963
- David G Martin (7363) 1964
- H Brian Bennett (8306) 1964-1966 (transferred to Bilsthorpe, transferred then to Warsop)
- David S Widdowson (8857) 1964-1967 (transferred to Clipstone, later Manager Bevercotes then Production Manager HQ)
- Herbert (Bert) H Grime (8956) (from Lancashire, promoted to Assistant Manager) 1968-1969 and 1971-1973
- Alan Allsop (9700) 1969-1975 (promoted to Bilsthorpe)
- Don Lunn (6163) (from Assistant Manager, transferred to Rufford)
- Ray F Flint (2nd) 1976-1978 (promoted from Assistant Undermanager Thoresby, demoted and transferred to Assistant Undermanager Ollerton)
- William (Bill) H Hiley (10077) 1977-1982
- Dave C Bishop (10774) 1979-1982 (transferred to Welbeck)
- Stuart H Crowhurst (11002) 1982-1992
- Phil L Gwilliam (11155) 1982-1988 (promoted to Yorkshire Area)
- John M Brown (11279)
- John R Nichol (11129) 1988-1993 (transferred from Sutton).
Assistant Undermanagers included
- Phil Coward (transferred to Safety Engineer Harworth 1986)
- CM Cooper (transferred from Bilsthorpe 1988).
Technical Assistants included
- Dave J Bainbridge (promoted to Assistant Undermanager Calverton) 1988.
Training Officer: included
- Danny Tryner 1984-1991 (previously Assistant Training Officer 1978-1984 and previously to that on the Ventilation staff at Ollerton).
Supplies Officer: included
- Brian Bracegirdle (transferred to Mansfield as Assistant Training Officer).
- Brian Halliwell (2…) 1954-1959 (transferred to Sinking and Tunnelling Engineer 1959 - , committed suicide)
- Ken CB Mirfin ARICS (2…), (transferred from Ollerton 1959-1986), died shortly after retiring
- Graham Hall ARICS (6025) (promoted from Deputy 1986-1990, left the industry to run a post office/store at Tuxford)
- Steve T Barnes (6278) 1993-1994 (promoted from Deputy, transferred to Cotgrave, transferred back to Bevercotes on closure of Cotgrave 1993).
Fatal Accidents Bevercotes:
- Ronald Bonser (37) crushed to a stage loader 17/2/1978
- John Gerrard (48) crushed by a mine car 30/4/1980
- Norman John Wood (32) run over by a mine car 30/4/1982.
- 1971 or 1972 there was a fire on the pit top caused when underground treacly oil that had been tipped between the stones partway from the pit top to the Rapid loading bunker setting on fire by an unknown source. Several fire engines from Retford and other surrounding Fire stations were in attendance and fortunately the wind was in the right direction to prevent the billowing black smoke from being sucked down the shaft. A friend Brian Bracegirdle, Supplies / Materials Officer was on site at the time.
- John Brown (11279) Undermanager was involved in a small explosion of gas in a Parkgate development heading in 1989.
A European drivage record of 274m in a week was achieved at Asfordby in September 1993. The advances were quite phenomenal compared to 1960s figures.
Non-Operational Collieries Group
Also in September 1993, the Non-Operational Collieries Group was formed, to manage collieries which had ceased production, but which were offered for lease and license. This Group also had the responsibility for old shafts and shallow works.
Abandonment plans for seams and mines would be deposited in compliance with Regulation 31 of the Management and Administration of Safety and Health at Mines Regulations 1993.