1980 - Page 9
(Teversal Colliery Closed After 111 years - Continued)
- Richard G Coke 1870s
- George Wilson -1888
- Ernest Stokes 1888 -
Stanton Company –1946, NCB No2 Area -1949, HQ at Mansfield Woodhouse
No4 Sub-Area -1967, Group Office at Teversal for Teversal, Silverhill, Pleasley and after 1949 Sutton also) HQ at Huthwaite
- James Alexander Burlinson (300 service cert) (transferred from Blackwell Colliery Co c1920, previously from Cramlington, NE 1906, Chief Surveyor for Stanton Ironworks Co to 1946, transferred to NCB No2 HQ then No3 Area HQ Edwinstowe 1947-mid 1950s)
- Frank England (unqualified, transferred to Planning department No4 Area) 1947-Mar 1959
- Clarence Skeavington (1347) (promoted from Senior Assistant, promoted to Sub-Area, then Group, then Senior Surveyor 1948-1968) died 2004
- Denis Hill (2186) 1950-1st Mar 1954 (promoted from Warsop, transferred to Pleasley, later Group Surveyor then Subsidence Engineer South Midlands)
- WE Brian Barlow ARICS (2730) 1st Mar 1954 -1st May 1958 (promoted from Kirkby, (ex British Railways, did his 2,000 hours underground experience at Silverhill 1950-1952) transferred to Bilsthorpe, later Group Surveyor then Deputy Area Surveyor North Nottinghamshire)
- Malcolm J Smith (3026) ARICS 1st June 1958-Sep 1959 (promoted from Bilsthorpe, left to be a Mineral Valuer)
- Bernard T Bailey (2728) 1st Oct 1959-16th Sep 1968 (transferred from Cotes Park, transferred to Area HQ Civil Engineering, Tips Surveyor, (thinking he had made a mistake on a tip at Harworth when a bank burst and waste and water flooded some premises he committed suicide by hanging Oct 1989)
- Cheslaw Stasiewicz (3030) (Polish) 16th Sep 1968-1978 (transferred from Kirkby on closure, retired)
- A Jim Hanson (2365) 1978–1980 (transferred from Silverhill to closure).
Senior Assistants Teversal: ?…..Frank England (uncert) 1922-1946
- JCM Joyce 1922-1938
- Jack Rockley 1938-1945
- Clarence Skeavington (1347) 1942-1947 (transferred from Ollerton)
- J Russell Smith -1951 (2…) later Planner at HQ)
- Keith Mitchell (3…) 1953 transferred to Newstead Sep 1954, later Planner North Derbyshire, then Cementation Co
- Robert Bradley (4381) (self) Senior Assistant Surveyor 1960-1971 (transferred to Ollerton, appointed Surveyor for the mine Ollerton 1971-1986, promoted to Senior Surveyor North Nottinghamshire Area HQ 1986-1990)
- Keith Briggs (4…) transferred from Ormonde 1st Mar 1971-1980, transferred to Mansfield as second Deputy (1980-1988).
- J Russell Smith
- Keith Mitchell (promoted to First Assistant)
- Robert Bradley (self) (promoted to Senior / First Assistant)
- John Clifford Sep 1961-Dec 1963 (transferred from Silverhill, left to Method Study at No4 Area HQ, later Carbonisation Plant).
Group Staff Surveying Assistants based at Teversal Office included:
- Colin Hardy (3168) mainly at Sutton, later Surveyor Swadlincote, Cadley Hill)
- Colin Burlinson (mainly at Silverhill, left to Area HQ, later private contractors, died 2005)
- Ted Bucklow (transferred from Blackwell, mainly at Pleasley, (Surveyors cert and 1st class cert later), transferred to South Nottinghamshire HQ Ventilation dept and Nottinghamshire HQ 1985-1987
- Peter Holmes (mainly at Pleasley, left to Port of London Authority, returned later with Shephard Hill tip contractors)
- Alan Elliott (linesman at Sutton, then Assistant at Silverhill, transferred to Planning dept Area HQ)
- Geoff Austin (Linesman and Apprentice at Sutton, left to Zambia Copper mines, returned to Assistant Silverhill, promoted to Surveyor Sutton then transferred to Bilsthorpe)
- Robert Bradley, self, (experience at Silverhill, Sutton and Pleasley but mainly at Teversal)
- John Wilmot 1954-1959 (to Pleasley, later Subsidence dept North Derbyshire HQ, Bolsover)
- Barrie Tideswell 1955-June 1957 (transferred from Blackwell transferred to Assistant to Stan Brunskill No4 Area HQ Geologist, transferred to North Derbyshire Boring dept 1967.
- Roy Briggs 1941-1942 transferred to Ollerton
- J Russell Smith 1944 – (promoted to Assistant)
- George Davies 1943-1947 (transferred to Silverhill, later Surveyor Langton)
- Keith Mitchell (promoted to Assistant) 1948-1954
- Robert Bradley (self) (promoted to Assistant) 1960
- John Clifford Apr 1960 - (transferred from Kirkby, promoted to Assistant)
- Barry Bladon 17th Aug 1959 - Aug 1961 (transferred from Pleasley, left industry)
- Norman Bircumshaw Sep 1955-1956 (left industry)
- Bob Wain Dec 1957- May 1959, (sacked for non-attendance at Tech College) left industry
- Alf Fletcher 16th Mar 1964 - Oct 1968 (transferred to Linesman, transferred to Silverhill at closure)
- Tony Maddock –Nov 1974 (transferred to Sherwood, died in service)
- John Walls Nov 1974 – (later Deputy Surveyor Welbeck, then appointed Surveyor Harworth -2010, retired ill heath).
Diallers, Chainmen and Linesmen: ..?.....
- A Tagg
- C Toon
- P Hogg
- J Matthew
- W Russ
- R Bailey
- J Oldknow
- J Ward
- W Pitchford
- H Osborne
- C Tagg
- J Halfpenny
- C Yates
- Job Toon
- A Thompson
- Frank England 1920-1922 (promoted to Assistant)
- G White
- W Beresford
- W Harrison
- JCW Joyce 1922-1938
- G Roberts 1928-
- B Scott 1928-
- N Billings 1935-
- R Holmes 1938-1940
- GR Bullick 1939-1946
- Jack Rockley 1939-1941
- J Drury 1942-
- J Alcock 1943-46
- Sammy P Greaves 1945-1950 (later Undermanager Woodside)
- Frank Walton 1941-1944 (to coal face, later a Deputy, then Dust Sampler following a nasty accident with a Joy Loader at 3s dev, later leaving the NCB to run a pub in Derbyshire)
- A Bee 1944-
- H Green 1944-
- Emeris Pritchard 1946-1948
- EJ Bird 1947-1948
- Wright 1948
- J Brooks 1948
- Barry Pitt 1951-1952 (to coal face)
- Lionel Frederick Hemstock 1950-1952 (to coal face, later a Deputy at Sutton, died in service)
- Geoff Bingham -1952
- Tommy Pickering Oct 1952-1953 (to coal face, joined the Army, later a Coal Rep for Hobart House, died in service)
- Les Ryde ex coal face, 1953
- British Rail surveyors were employed temporarily in the 1950s in order that they achieved a minimum of 2,000 hours of underground training to qualify for the Surveyor’s certificate and where Johnny DeStefano May 1956 – Oct 1957 and Don Burton Nov 1957 - 1958 (both achieving high management positions after returning to British Rail)
- George Watson short period July 1954
- Eddie Watson (transferred from Silverhill, sacked) 1955
- Robert (Bob) Elliott Apr 1954 - Feb 1959 (to coal face, later ran a Learner driving school)
- Geoff Beastall, Sep 1954 - Dec 1958 (Staff Apprentice at Langton Jan 1959-, later leaving to coalface and Deputy at Sutton, died in service)
- Brian Hayes, Sep 1957 – Mar 1958
- Tony Baines Dec 1958 – Oct 1962, left industry
- Don Hurt Mar 1959 - Aug 1965, left industry to Scotland
- Jimmy Gilbert Dec 1959 – July 1960, left industry
- Jim Sterland, July 1960 - left Jan 1965 to Dust Suppression, restart June 1965 – Feb 1966, (promoted to WIPS Staff Supervisory Linesman at Newstead Mar 1966, later transferred to Bevercotes, then left industry to be a Rep at Dosco)
- Carl Sterland, his cousin, Oct 1962, (promoted to WIPS Staff Supervisory Linesman Teversal Feb 1968-1980 and supervised closure, later same position at Harworth 1981-2003)
- David Haighton, Feb 1965 - Feb 1969, left industry
- Alan Toon Mar 1962 -
- David Franks Feb 1966 - Dec 1966 (left industry to be a Stable boy / Jockey)
- Alan Wombwell, Jan 1967 - June 1969
- Alf Fletcher, Oct 1968 – 1980 (transferred from Staff Apprentice to Linesman, transferred to Silverhill 1980-1992)
- Alan Hill (transferred from closed A Winning, compensation case, injured back) Apr 1969 -1977
- Hedley Hill, June 1969 – 1973, left industry
- Paul Thompson, Mining Trainee Mar - Aug 1970
- P Bancroft, Oct 1973-1977
- A Newbold, June 1976-1978
- J Smith, Aug 1976-Nov1979
- R Bailey, June - Aug 1979.
Photo 1958: Back Row: Don Burton (British Rail Apprentice), Bob Wain (Apprentice), Brian Hayes (Linesman), Bob Elliott (Linesman), John Wilmot (Group staff), Front Row: Bob Bradley (self, Apprentice / Assistant), Geoff Beastall (Linesman).
Planners included: NCB:
- Frank England (uncert) 1947-31st Mar 1959
- Gordon Darrington (Surveyors cert) (promoted from Assistant 1st Apr 1959-1967 No4 Area, and 1967 to 1980 North Nottinghamshire Area), Assistant Alwyn Noble (1st class cert?) died in service 1979, aged 54).
Enginewrights / Mechanical Engineers included: …
- Harold Parsons retired 1960
- Denis Pearson 1st Nov 1960 – 25th Feb 1963 (transferred by Chief Mining Engineer Jimmy Wright to Wingfield Manor, due to 3 Tripanners breaking down on the same day, later transferred to Annesley)
- Dougie Green (transferred from Wingfield Manor) Feb 1963-1970s
- Len Tipple 1970s-1978
- William (Billy) Lowe (promoted from Deputy) 1978-1980.
Note - Alec Feirn, Apprentice fitter 1950s became Chief Mechanical Engineer and later Chief Engineer for South Nottinghamshire Area. Unfortunately he was blinded in one eye by a firework (d 2009).
Head Electrician/Electrical Engineers included:
- William (Billy) Williamson retired Dec 1957
- John Morris 1st Feb 1958 – Apr 1961 (transferred to Kirkby, died in service)
- Alan McDiarmid 1st May 1961 - (promoted from Silverhill, transferred to Welbeck 1971) died 2004
- Malcolm Simpson 1971-
- Keith W Laver -1980.
- Fred Daft 1947– Aug 1962, transferred to Salvage Officer
- Arthur R (Jack) Truswell Aug 1962- (promoted from Sutton Fire Officer and member of the Rescue team), always wore a dog collar round his neck to hang his oil lamp on when crawling through faces
- Roy Smith (2nd Class) (transferred from Ventilation Officer) -1980.
- Maurice (Mod) Jones 1947-1961, died in post, brain tumour
- Percy Hinds early Mar 1961-Oct 1961 (transferred to Stone dusting)
- Derek Harris (ex-Civil Fireman (no underground experience) 1st Sep 1961-23rd Sep 1963, transferred to Cotgrave)
- Frank Smith (ex Shotfirer/Deputy) acting, appt’d 14th Oct 1963-1980?
- Jack Clews (ex-Deputy) 1947-1963
- Wilf Turner (ex-Deputy, Teversal 1st Dec 1963 – Apr 1968)
- William Freeman (transferred from A Winning Apr 1968 -)
- Cliff Hayes (ex-Clipstone)
- Ray Cave -1980
Ventilation Officers: Before 1947 some of this work done by Surveyors
- Jack Barker 1947-1959
- Alan Vardy Aug 1959 – March 1961 (sacked for falsifying figures)
- Frank Walton temp March 1961-1st Sep 1961
- Cyril Ward 1st Sep 1961 - 31st Dec 1962 (transferred to Silverhill, later moved to Cotgrave as Training Officer)
- Brian Stones 1st Jan 1963 - 1971 (promoted from Linesman at Sutton, youngest appointed to that position, later coal face then Nottingham University (1st Class cert 10930), Lecturer Worksop Technical College, later Health and Safety adviser
- Roy Smith (2nd class) 1971-
- Malcolm Hardwick -1980
- Ken Bullock (No4 Group) 1955- ex Kirkby (to North Nottinghamshire Area 1967-1987) with Harold Jackson (ex-Gedling Official in charge)
- Jim Fleming (from NE) died in post
- Edgar Holmes (from Sutton) 1968-1969
- Tommy Flannery (transferred from Mossley Common, Lancashire, Oct 1969-July 1980 transferred to Mansfield) died 2004.
- George Dwelley (1st Class cert) 3rd Sep 1962 – (transferred from Ramcroft, (Training Officer). George had had a serious accident whilst doing some shotfiring in a heading. The shot failed to detonate and after waiting the appropriate time required as laid down in the rules, re-entered the heading, however as he approached the head end the explosive detonated and his hearing/brain was severely damaged by the blast) transferred to Mansfield, but returned, due to the complexity of the materials handling system there, working several seams and different rail gauges?)
- John Sparks (transferred to Thoresby after a short time)
- Arthur Wilcox -1980.
- Fred Daft 1963 (ex Safety Officer)
- George Stain (ex Deputy) 18th Nov 1963
- George Dwelley -
- Sam Ward (ex prop bobby).
- Harold Humphries (Overman and NACODS Sec)
Chief Clerks included: ….
- Jack Limmer (when he started work as a clerk for Stanton Co he had to cycle from Skegby to Bilsthorpe and back)
- Barry Haycox Junior clerk, became Head of Purchasing and Stores at Doncaster HQ
Head of Time and Wages:
- Ray Gunby (previously Check Weighman) and Time Office.
- Wilf Haycox, retired Mar 1969
- .... ?.
- Ike Sutton (ex Deputy Silverhill), Tom Watson?
- George Blackburn - Mar 1963
- Derek Hunt Apr 1963 (transferred from Cotes Park) - 7th Aug 1965
- John Weston 26th July 1965 - 1st Dec 1967 (promoted to Area HQ, later Chief Accountant at Doncaster HQ and advisor to Ian McGregor NCB Chairman in 1984 strike period)
- Stuart Farnsworth 1st Dec 1967 – 12th May 1968 (transferred to Bevercotes, then Ollerton, then Immingham Docks)
- Jeff Carlin 12th May 1968 – Aug 1968 (transferred to Bilsthorpe)
- Colin Clarke 11th August 1968 – 6th Apr 1970 (transferred to Bilsthorpe, later Administrative Officer)
- Brian Watson 6th Apr 1970 – 27th Nov 1970 (transferred from Rufford, transferred to Sherwood)
- Tom Riley (transferred to Clipstone). John Banks Group Costs, promoted from Langton, transferred to North Nottinghamshire 1967-1968, then to Berry Hill HQ until 1970 when he moved to Doncaster as the department was relocated there.
Head Joiners included:
- Les Parker (died 2004, 90+). (Wheelwright and Undertaker in his spare time).
- Harry Parsons
- William (Billy) Winterbottom
- Charlie Parker (striker).
Nursing Sisters: included
- Miss. Edwards 1950s (committed suicide).
- Barbara Harrison 1960s - 1977, transferred to Sutton for a short time.
- Maureen Foster replaced Barbara Harrison from 1977 - 1980 for both Teversal and Silverhill.