Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me

The Decline Of The Industry Continued
After Nationalisation 1947

1977 1978
1981 1982 1983

1980 Pages   1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9     10     11  

1980 - Page 7

(Teversal Colliery Closed After 111 years - Continued)

The sketch shows fish tails in a washout as I remember seeing in the gate side at 40s leading to 50s Bottom supply gate.

There was a stall face and several connecting roadways in Dunsil in the pit bottom driven in 1870 - 1871 and there was a connection to the staple shaft from Top Hard to Dunsil. However after only a few yards (metres) advance with the leading stall heading uphill in the direction of Silver Hill the whole project was abandoned. Possibly it may have been due to being waterlogged. Refer to water and pumping mentioned previously.

Two of the Managers after Nationalisation resided at ‘Merrydews’, Chesterfield Road, Tibshelf, Derbyshire. Messrs Gubbins and Noble lived there. Jimmy Wright lived at the Grange in Teversal village for a time. Horace Gubbins apart from his liking of gardening at home would sometimes be found setting out plants he had grown in his greenhouse on the traffic island in the pit yard, and was renowned for his liking of snuff. He very rarely went down the pit, only about 6 times in 5 years as I remember (other than maybe to accompany an Inspector on his visits, and always used a hand lamp and always had his shirt sleeves rolled up). ‘It’s the Undermanager’s job down there, my job’s up here!’ he used to say to me, and he always referred to Clary Skeavington as ‘Skeviton’.

He did go down to a washout on a face head once and stopped the job. The gate was headed forward and a new face heading set out and that too ran into the washout, which of course are unpredictable, so he went down again to set out the third attempt and this time it was successful. We had plotted the possible position of the washout on the plan and had put a line on to suit. Of course it was his idea. Anyway I had been inbye on that last visit and was illegally and foolishly ‘riding the rope’ i.e. balancing on the 2 mph haulage rope which was lifting whilst going through a small swilley when Gubbins came out of that gate and caught me. I thought this is it, but no, he said ‘You don’t do that, you ride out on the tubs’! With that he told me to ride on the front star clip (dangerous and slip!) whilst he rode on the buffers on the last full tub of a run of four that was slowly making its way past us. We made our way out to the bank head of the steep plane road, then I had to escort him out of the pit as he was ‘unsure of the way’! Now I knew why he didn’t 'chelp' me off. (chelp was a slang term for being told off).

He very rarely found you a job to do, likewise with George Noble who followed him. Gubbins’ main preoccupation seemed to be saving the number of colliers on a handfilled face by asking me now and then to do check measuring and check sections with the various Chargemen and Deputy, noting the result after calculation of yardage (by cubic feet) for the various jobs, i.e. so many cubic feet for a collier, half for the Chargeman, and less for the man in the fast end and less for the man at the centre gate end where all the coal delivered from the top loading conveyor belt onto the gaumers of the gate belt. This man was always busy as invariably when the belt stopped, coal would pile up and drop off and he would have to clean it up, so somedays he did twice as much shovelling as he ought to have done.

Mr Gubbins then made me go down next day to the panel and get the Chargeman to mark out the new stints by a chalk line at the front whilst I hung on the back of the tape and on Mr Gubbins’ orders (not to my liking but I had to do as he said) hold the tape end about 1 foot (0.30m) in front on every measure along the length of the face thereby knocking one man off, making the stint a touch longer and hoping that the men didn’t notice! It seemed to work. Normal stint lengths were in the region of 7 to 8 yards (6.4m to 7.3m) depending upon the height extracted and an advance of 5’ 6” (1.68m). Several times it left the Chargeman and the Deputy scratching their heads wondering why they were a man short when they had asked for one extra! Gubbins used to be delighted with the result and beaming and peering over his small round gold rimmed glasses take an extra pinch of snuff from the large tin on his desk which had to be frequently topped up and on those occasions offer me one. Unfortunately his waistcoat glistened with streaks from this operation albeit that he used a ‘kerchief.

He didn’t retire until he was 66 when I think they forced him to. Normally he was a grumpy old sort and very few people could ‘get to know him’. He only had a small entourage who he would talk to on a regular basis. Clary Skeavington the Sub - Area Surveyor, they had a common link with Hucknall, Wilf Haycox the Head weighman and the Chief Engineer from Area, otherwise his office was always empty except for him.

I had to fetch his progress plan folder every week to plot the development headings and once a month to plot the working panels up to date, a job I didn’t relish because when I took the folder back he would invariably ask obscure questions and try to catch me out. Even if I had the right answer he would change it round to make it look as if he had solved the problem.

On another occasion 60s Dunsil seam left hand benk was stopped and we were not informed and only found out about it three weeks later when the linesmen measured up and could only find 2 gates instead of 3 as we only measured the progress on handfilling panels once a month at that time. Both the tail gate had been stopped off as well as the face line. When Bernard Bailey the Surveyor confronted MrGubbins and told him that he should have informed him by Law that he was stopping a working so that the final position could be surveyed and plotted on the Working plan. Realising he was wrong he quickly sent for his Chief Clerk Jack Limmer, who was frightened to death of him. Jack typed a letter that briefly stated that the working was to stop, back dated the letter to about a month before and Gubbins signed it and as he gave it to Bernard he smirked and told him that ‘it had got lost in the post’! Bernard was mortified but you could not beat him, he was a wily old bird and it didn’t pay to cross him as others found out. We then had to contact the Deputy and workmen on the district to work out where they thought the face had been packed off so we could plot the finished face line in the best ‘guestimated position’. Fortunately it was in an area where no other working was to take place. This was not the way to run a pit but I have often thought how many times has that happened in the past at other pits and has gone un - noticed, particularly when surveys were carried out firstly at 6monthly intervals then 3 monthly intervals but at many pits the Surveyor and his team were based at the Company offices and did not visit the mine for weeks on end. Maybe this kind of action has resulted in some of the workings being breached when thought to be further away than they were in practice.

However when I qualified as a Surveyor Clary Skeavington sent me down to see Mr Gubbins to tell him of my achievement and you would not think he was the same man. He was so thrilled for me and even sat me down for a reasonable long chat about how my career could blossom. I had two pinches of snuff that day. He was certainly a Jeckyll and Hyde character. If only workmen at the pit realised ‘what went off in the offices’. I think Jim Davies the Undermanager in his tenure only called in for a few minutes each day. Jim Davies (1489) was qualified some time before Gubbins (2928) but they were the same age within a year. Jim’s Uncle William (26) and his father James (28) were killed in the disaster at Whitwick Colliery, Leicestershire on 19th April 1898. Jim’s eldest son Jim was a Draughtsman in No4 Group, No4 Area and his youngest son George became Surveyor at Langton to 1968.

The First Waterloo seam (10 yards (9m) below Dunsil) around 4 feet (1.22m) thick 1957 - 1980, was developed by 1in8 Loader Gate and 1in6 Supply Gate drifts down from the Dunsil seam roadways July to Dec 1956. A total of 25 mechanised panels were worked, using shearers from 1957 and trepanners, trepan/shearer, 1964 - including one retreat face 22s, plus one handfilled face 6s, with thick middle dirt requiring a lamming shift. Victoria drift off the later N Manrider meeting, 1918, was a short exploratory heading down to the First Waterloo, abandoned 1919 a steep 1in4 drift down to the Waterloo junction from the pit bottom Back Level was driven in the late 1940s and by drving level met the Dunsil seam again and was part of the haulage system for the North side Dunsil workings when the roads were coupled up.

Waterloo Panel numbers were:

  • 1s the first mechanised panel at the pit (worked on strike of seam July 1957, rope - hauled Anderton shearer but with a thin disc (nicknamed a bacon slicer), face 260 yards (495m) to 185 yards (352m) props and bars, Bonser chocks for pushing over, Dobson double 2 supports, July 1961 trepanner, finished July 1963), 2,800 yards (2,560m) run
  • 2s (Jan/Apr 1961 face 170 yards (155m) - Mar 1963), 985 yards (900m) run, shearer working uphill at 1in 8, bad face heading, several attempts to open out
  • 3s (Feb 1962 face 275 yards (250m) to 180 yards (165m) to 210 yards (192m) - Oct 1964, ran into swilley at D Gate end 21st June 1963, water at D Gate and ventilation leakage 29 May 1964) 1,220 yards (1,115m) run, shortened down face and changed direction. A Trepan - Shearer with plough and in Sep 1964 Annesley long bar exemption for Waterloo, struck fault at Loader gate
  • 4s opposite (Feb 1964 bi - di shearer to June 1965 floor mounted Trepanner installed, face link bars, batch control Roof master chocks Aug 1965, 200 yards (183m) to 140 yards (128m) to 210 yards (192m) - Feb 1967), 2,410 yards (2,205m) run, Conveyor Mounted Double Ended Trepanner, Oct 1965, ran into swilley at D Gate end, shortened down face
  • 5s (bi - di shearer Jan 1963 and 13” bi - di Apr 1964, face 200 yards (183m) - May 1968), 2,920 yards (2,670m) run. There was a drift off
  • 5s DG thirled to North Manrider to facilitate easier and quicker time for men to get to and from the faces
  • 6s (top jib cutter in middle dirt band, 5’ 6” (1.3m), the only handfilled face in the seam, Aug 1964, face 250 yards (230m) to 130 yards (120m) - Jan 1967), 2 conveyors on face, hydraulic props and bars, 6 yard (5.5m) stints at top conveyor length due to thicker dirt and 7 yard 6.4m) stints to bottom conveyor length, 750 yards (685m) run, thick middle dirt band stowed in gob (173m), Double Ended Conveyor Mounted Trepanner (DECMT) with turret, 2 augers and 2 floor discs, Gullick 5 leg chocks Oct 1965 - July 1969), 2,120 yards (1,940m) run
  • 8s (Apr 1967 face 190 yards (174m) - Dec 1968), 850 yards (777m) run, uphill at 1in8, great difficulty in getting the face established after several attempts
  • 9s (Aug 1969 face 280 yards (256m) to 219 yards (200m) shortened down due to faults - Oct 1971) 1,830 yards (1,675m) run
  • 10s (Apr 1968 face 190 yards (174m) - Oct 1969), 590 yards (540m) run
  • 11s (July 1972 face 265 yards (242m) narrowing to 240 yards (220m) then to 200 yards (183m) and 205 yards (190m) – 12th July 1974), 1,300 yards (1,190m) run, nest of large faults 6 feet (1.8m) and 10 feet (3.3m) in advanced head and gate end stopped the face
  • 12s (Apr/May 1970 face 240 yards (220m) to 180 yards (165m) - Dec 1972) 1,120 yards (1,025m) run, bad face heading, thick wooden jumbo props (tree trunks) used as extra supports, even these smashed like carrots, face breasted through May, bored to 2nd Waterloo, steep rise to face from 25/11/1972
  • 14s (Mar 1974 - Dec 1975 face 246 yards (225m) 733 yards (670m) run, several faults up to 3 feet + (1m)
  • 15s (Mar/Apr 1971 - Jan 1975 face 153 yards extended to 219 yards (200m) after 628 yards (575m) to miss the 1in2 drift, 2,045 yards (1,870m) run, advanced head
  • 16s Dec 1974 - June 1976 face 257 yards (235m) shortened down after only 45 yards (40m) due to swilley 798 yards (730m) run, advanced head
  • 20s (May 1976 - May 1977 face 251 yards (230m) 450 yards (410m) run, negotiated and worked through short exploratory heading and 1in2.5 Victoria drift 1919
  • 22s Retreat face, the only one, Aug 1977 - Apr 1978 face 208 yards (190m) stripped goaf both sides 450 yards (410m) run
  • 24s (May 1975 - May 1976 face 246 yards (225m) 470 yards (450m) run
  • 30s (Oct 1975 - May 1977 face 252 yards (230m) 1,017 yards (930m) run
  • 31s (Jan 1976 - Apr 1977 face 252 yards (230m) 1,367 yards (1,250m) run swung the face at the North Nottinghamshire/North Derbyshire boundary
  • 32s (Apr 1977 - Dec 1978 face 236 yards (216m) to 219 yards (200m) 875 yards (800m) run
  • 33s (Oct 1978 - May 1980 face 268 yards (245m) 1,050 yards (960m) run
  • 35s (May 1979 - July 1980 face 268 yards (245m) 667 yards (610m) run, stopped at North Nottinghamshire/North Derbyshire boundary
  • 30s snicket connection from 30s Loader Gate to old abandoned face line at Pleasley, 63 yards (58m) long driven in coal June/July 1980. Most of the later panels had advanced headings at the Loader gate.

The pumps were switched off having raised 27 million gallons per year at 250 gallons per minute and after pit bottom stoppings were built the shafts were filled with limestone chippings and concrete at various levels in November 1980 and the shaft tops were capped by the end of the year.

The colliery was abandoned in January 1981. Water made from Teversal shafts and pit bottom would later travel through a purpose - made connection in the Waterloo seam horizon on 30s panel at Teversal to 24s at Pleasley, completed on the day of closure, into old workings at Pleasley, where it was firstly pumped into old abandoned dip side workings. A water trap was set up at the Teversal side of the heading.

I made a nostalgic underground visit to the pit on the last day of working, and escorted by Carl Sterland the Surveyor’s Assistant met and had a chat with Ron Wood (7453) the Undermanager and Ray Gregory (4354) the Production Manager on 30s on their visit to the last face. I met some of the men who I knew from some 10 years before, Sammy Steele (header) was one and Graham Bradshaw Colliery Overman another. I crawled through the coal heading connection they were completing and into the old Pleasley First Waterloo working, which was in good condition.

The water would eventually arrive at Pleasley in Oct/Nov 1986 and in the Deep Hard seam pit bottom via the drift in 1987, and would then eventually be pumped through the connection to Shirebrook when Pleasley was merged in January 1984.

As Senior Surveyor at Edwinstowe HQ from 1986, a part of my duty, as my predecessors did, was to keep a check and monitor water underground, pumping figures and document the results and report any findings, and in doing so had to contact the Surveyors at other collieries, then in North Derbyshire Area. The Surveyor for Pleasley / Shirebrook Mick Barber (5407) kept in constant touch with me by phone regarding the time of arrival of the water (Oct 1986), the depth, firstly pumping the water into old workings then finally pumping the water through to Shirebrook where it was raised to the surface and discharged. Methane drainage by boring holes up and over the goaf was practised in the later panels in the First Waterloo seam as part of Area policy.

The Teversal colliery site was razed to the ground in preparation for over - tipping by dirt from Silverhill. The tipping site would be shaped and grassed and walkways created after 1994. (see 21st March 2005, re Statue unveiling at the highest point of the tip and highest point in Nottinghamshire). The 360 miners were transferred to other local pits such as Sherwood, Silverhill and Sutton or accepted redundancy terms. Teversal men were entitled to special benefits for transferring to collieries within daily travelling distance. For men with 10 or more years service, £600 on transfer and a further £600 payable in 3 instalments after 6, 12 and 24 months at the new colliery. For men with less than 10 years service the initial payment was less, but would still get £600 over the 2 year period. Around 200 men over 55 years of age were offered redundancy / early retirement.

The weekly output record was broken several times in 1970 culminating with 15,170 tons for week ending 28th November 1970 with a maximum ever output, for the year 1970 - 71 of 644,000 tons, realising a profit of £700,000. I jokingly used to say that the pit would go downhill when I left and ironically that tonnage was never ever reached again.

In the 1972 and 1974 strikes there were no problems and the Official NUM Picket line men show their geniality. From left to right...Bill Rhodes, Bill Billings, Hec Evans, John Brown, Stewart Langton and Frank Euerby.

Manpower Stanton Ironworks Co: Butcherwood 1869 - 1874
Teversall 1874 - ...unknown but there would have been a general build up as more faces were opened until records were published in 1894: 561 Top Hard, 161 s/f, total 722 men and boys

  • 1895: 559 TH, 166 s/f
  • 1896: 544 TH, 144 s/f
  • 1897: 564 TH, 163 s/f
  • 1898: 599 TH, 172 s/f
  • 1899: 569 TH 146 s/f
  • 1900: 530 TH, 146 s/f
  • 1901: 553 TH, 150 s/f
  • 1902: 550 TH, 152 s/f
  • 1903: 564 TH, 172 s/f
  • 1904: 565 TH, 164 s/f
  • 1905: 554 TH 142 s/f
  • 1906: 553 TH, 159 s/f
  • 1907: 547 TH, 149 s/f
  • 1908: 555 TH, 149 s/f
  • 1909: 584 TH, 141 s/f
  • 1910: 600 TH, 185 s/f
  • 1911: 629 TH, 163 s/f
  • 1912: 624 TH, 234 s/f
  • 1913: 625 TH, 281 s/f
  • 1914: 632 TH, 230 s/f
  • 1915: 523 TH, 184 s/f
  • 1916: 540 TH, 180 s/f
  • 1917: 544 TH, 195 s/f
  • 1918: 511 TH, 185 s/f
  • 1919: 605 TH, 205 s/f
  • 1920: 612 Top Hard and Dunsil, 197 s/f
  • 1921: 750 TH and D, 224 s/f
  • 1922: 748 TH and D, 242 s/f
  • 1923: 743 TH and D, 187 s/f
  • 1924: 772 TH and D, 200 s/f
  • 1925: 785 TH and D, 187 s/f, 952 men max
  • 1926: 748 TH and D, 150 s/f
  • 1927: Teversall 768 TH and D 165 s/f
  • 1928: name changed to Teversal, 730 Top Hard, 161 s/f
  • 1929: 735 TH, 173 s/f
  • 1930: 654 TH, 167 s/f
  • 1931: 644 TH, 129 s/f
  • 1932: 656 TH, 135 s/f
  • 1933: 702 TH, 149 s/f
  • 1934: 670 TH, 155 s/f
  • 1935: 693 TH, 161 s/f
  • 1936: 581 TH, 158 s/f
  • 1937: 628 TH, 157 s/f
  • 1938: 649 TH, 154 s/f, 803
  • 1939: 825 TH and Dunsil
  • 1940: 677 Top Hard and Dunsil, 169 s/f, 846
  • 1941: 653 TH and D, 173 s/f
  • 1942: 599 TH and D, 179 s/f
  • 1943: 624 TH and D, 162 s/f
  • 1944: 613 TH and D, 193 s/f
  • 1945: 647 TH and D, 183 s/f, 830
  • 1946: app 850 men and boys.

Method of Handfilling And Supports Set

Scabby and Treacherous Roof That Has Fallen.

Tonnages: Stanton Ironworks Co: 1913: 303,036 tons, 1917: 263,563 tons.
Tonnage and Manpower NCB: No2 Area EMD: 1947: 324,643 tons, 877 men, Top Hard abandoned July 1948

  • 1948: 326,853 tons, Dunsil seam only, 860 men
  • 1949: 366,033 tons, 889 men
    No4 Area: 1950: 352,933 tons, 876 men
  • 1951: 354,843 tons, 855 men
  • 1952: 436,559 tons, 926 men
  • 1953: 437,834 tons, 941 men (max)
  • 1954: 411,819 tons, 917 men
  • 1955: 408,783 tons, 910 men
  • 1956: 434,293 tons, 898 men
  • 1957: 402,947 tons, 907 men, 1st Waterloo entry
  • 1958: 441,485 tons, Dunsil and Waterloo 901 men
  • 1959: 370,236 tons, 867 men
  • 1960: 392,672 tons, 855 men
  • 1961: 390,929 tons, 873 men
  • 1962: 388,486 tons, 867 men
  • 1963: 414,577 tons, 901men
  • 1963/64: 412,598 tons, 906 men
  • 1964/65: 418,395 tons, 900 men
  • 1965/66: 446,079 tons, 893 men
  • 1966/67: 499,746 tons, 864 men
    North Nottinghamshire Area 1967/68: 553,207 tons, 857 men
  • 1968/69: 498,549 tons, 849 men, Dunsil abandoned
  • 1969/70: 560,308 tons, 1st Waterloo only 832 men
  • 1970/71: 643,683 tons (max), 806 men
  • 1971/72: 440,440 tons, 811 men
  • 1972/73: 502,063 tons, 792 men
  • 1973/74: 383,216 tons, 742 men
  • 1974/75: 380,874 tons, 723 men
  • 1975/76: 423,301 tons, 714 men (571 u/g, 143 s/f)
  • 1976/77: 377,792 tons, 685 men
  • 1977/78: 384,418 tons (390,588 tonnes), 633 men
  • 1978/79: 370,999 tonnes, 590 men
  • 1979/80: 377,468 tonnes, 521 men
  • 1980/81: 108,784 tonnes, 132 men. Colliery closed July 1980.