1985 - Page 8
New Selston Closed After 95 Years And Merged With Pye Hill
New Selston colliery (South Nottinghamshire) sunk in 1893 by J Oakes and Co at Jacksdale and locally known as ‘Bull and Butcher’ was closed in Aug 1956 after 95 years and merged with Pye Hill.
The shafts at 14 feet 6 inches (4.4m) dia and 180 yards (165m) and 184 yards (168m) deep were filled and capped in Jan 1969. New Selston No1 shaft 43/4552/771791
No2 43/4552/826783, 363’ (110.6m) above sea level.
- Deep Hard -1930, -29/6/1936, -1962
- Piper -1930
- Deep Soft 3’ 5” (1.04m) -29/7/1932
- 2nd Waterloo -1975
- Deep Soft heading 1977.
- Chas H Oakes Agent
- WG Ball (1095) Agent
- Jack H Pedley (2182) Agent
Managers New Selston
- James HW Laverick (2354)
- Ben McLaren (1789)
- WG Ball (1095)
- JO Ranger Agent
- WG Ball (1095) Agent and Manager
- E Searson (2104) Manager
- Sam S Thornhill (3123) Aug 1947-June 1951
- Frank M Ball (2889) June 1951-Sep 1952
- William Murday (4631) Sep 1952-May 1954
- W (Bill) E Bridgett May 1954-1956.
Undermanagers for New Selston
- G Searston (2nd)
- T Chamberlain (2nd)
- EH Perkins (2nd)
- R Tyler (2nd) (transferred to Pye Hill)
- Jimmy Wright (3926) moved from pony ganging at Bentinck and worked there as a collier, Shotfirer, Deputy and then Undermanager for a short time then ‘trouble shooter’ for James Oakes’ group of pits and later become Manager of South Normanton, Cotes Park, Teversal, Kirkby and Group Manager, Chief Mining Engineer and finally Deputy Director for South Nottinghamshire Area.
- George H Bond ME in 1860s
- FG Lander
- George H Whitelock (910)
- W (Bill) E Martin (1523) Area Surveyor 1947-1950s
- Eric W Harpham (2469) 1950s-1986.
Fatal Accidents for New Selston
- Timothy Coleman (30) 18/9/1863
- James Orme (40) 1/5/1867
- William Wagstaffe (..?) 10/5/1867
- George Bradley (14) 16/8/1867
- Thomas Mellor (22) 26/2/1870
- Jonathan Clark (25) 20/11/1874
- George Walker (..?) 27/4/1876
- George Samson (23) and William Jarvis (25) roof fall, 19/10/1877
- Thomas Jepson (15) 15/11/1883
- George Coleman (37) 1/1/1886
- George Beresford (..?) (26/2/1886
- Joseph Wilde (..?) 1/3/1898
- William Naylor (47) 25/1/1899
- William Naylor (..?) -/1/1899
- Arthur Hodkinson (23) 23/3/1904
- Herbert George (20) 24/6/1904
- Alfred Shipman (45) 15/9/1904
- Robert Housley (43) 29/11/1907
- Henry Brown (25) 20/12/1907
- Albert Gregory (42) 5/3/1908
- Horace Williamson (14) 7/9/1909
- William Barton (42) and Henry Gelsthorpe (23) and William Thomas Lane (19) killed in roof fall, 1/12/1916
- William Wardle (42) 12/9/1918
- Thomas Haines (61) 15/12/1921
- Frank North (38) 26/1/1922
- Henry Leivers (38) 2/11/1922
- Alex Yates (28) 11/1/1923
- Harold Wyld (42) 20/2/1923
- - Allcock (..?) -/3/1923
- Edward Flint (18) 7/5/1924
- George Ashmore (62) 21/2/1929
- Joseph Purdy (49) 23/10/1929
- George Enoch Wagstaffe (41) 23/10/1929
- William Martin (..?) 27/6/1934
- Fred Lewis Brinsley (60) 21/11/1935
- Rylott Ward (38) 14/5/1942
- William Crookes (43) 2/2/1951
- William Hawthorne (59) 12/7/1951
- Timothy Wilson (52) 20/1/1953.
Tonnage and Manpower NCB
- 1947: 104,968 tons, 338 men
- 1948: 145,424 tons, 376 men
- 1949: 162,962 tons, 415 men
- 1950: 161,703 tons, 421 men
- 1951: 157,050 tons, 409 men
- 1952: 171,094 tons, 414 men
- 1953: 217,682 tons, 399 men
- 1954: 219,403 tons, 392 men
- 1955: 203,885 tons, 407 men.
Colliery closed, merged with Pye Hill August 1956. 1976/77 output 982,000 tonnes, 1,063 men. Selston?
Abandonment Of The Complex
The Pye Hill drift driven 667 yards (610m) at 1in3.75 in 1966/67 on 12’ 0” x 9’ 0” (3.7 x 2.7) arches to the Blackshale seam for a new coal clearance system was concrete plugged with 51cu m at 164 yards (150m) down, the rest of the drift to the surface at 97 yards (88.7m) above sea level filled with 1,320 cu m of pea gravel.
A further drift at the base was driven at 1in7.6 to No2 pit bottom.
Pye Hill No2 Colliery No1 Shaft May 1984.
The shaft at 4.4m dia with surface level at 100 yards (91.3m) above sea level.
A new concrete cap 77cu m poured Sunday 3/11/1985.
The shaft was sunk in 1874 by James Oakes and Co to 216m to work Tupton (Low Main) and Blackshale and after 1963 this DC shaft was only one in use.
70 cu m of limestone chippings to above Black Rake ironstone inset bricked up May 1968 at 78.9m deep, Deep Soft inset at 101 yards (92.5m). 343 cu m of concrete plug poured 30/10/1985. Tupton inset at 172m deep, 137 cu m concrete poured 25/10/1985. New stoppings were put on. Blackshale pit bottom at 232 yards (212m) with sump at 237 yards (216.3m). Some 280cu m of concrete poured 22/10/1985. Soft Coal shaft 2.4m dia. New concrete cap 23 cu m. Surface level 88.2m above sea level. Limestone fill to pit bottom at 68m approx.
Pumping level was 71.85 yards (65.7m). and used as a pumping shaft the water being used in the washery plant and underground fire fighting and dust suppression purposes.
Fan shaft 3.2m dia. Surface level 103.7 yards (94.85m). Shaft sunk prior to 1862, pit bottom at 148.1m to Tupton Threequarters, to the depth assumed to be sunk to.
Insets to Deep Soft and Black Rake ironstone known to exist at this shaft and the Soft Coal shaft. When filled in July 1985 it was flooded to a depth of 34.3 yards (+31.4m).
Black Rake shaft sunk to the Black Rake ironstone and used as a pumping pit for there was a beam pump still working after nationalisation but had ceased by 1952.
Water from these ironstone workings was allowed to run into No2 UC shaft. The shaft was filled and capped in 1959.
The Tunnel adit (surface drift) was driven in 1864 at a gradient of 1in3 to the Deep Soft and Deep Hard. Workings in the Deep Soft were connected to New Selston and Pollington. Pumping from the Black Rake ironstone workings continued in the Adit until April 1966 when it was temporarily stopped off. It was permanently filled and capped in Aug 1976.
Pye Hill No2 UC shaft sunk in 1866 to the Black Rake ironstone and continued down to the Yard seam at app 232 yards (212m) by 1870-75 time was filled in 1964. Until 1969 New Selston colliery shafts formed part of Pye Hill Colliery No2, the No2 shaft being used as an UC. They were filled and capped in 1969.
As noted there were a number of old shafts sunk and a drift driven within the confines of the colliery surface by James Oakes and Co.
The Blackshale was developed at Pye Hill No2 colliery and production started in 1874 and continued without interruption until abandoned on 9/8/1985.
The Piper workings were abandoned just prior to that on 14/6/1985.
The original colliery take was split by a large fault running East-West varying from 100 yards (90m) at the West end to 11 yards (10m) throw at the East end.
Prior to 1929 all working was to the North side of the fault, known as the Old Blackshale. These finished in 1948. Roads were then driven through the fault from the Tupton to the Blackshale and working commenced on the South side of the fault and this area became known as the Pollington Blackshale and these continued until 1985 and connections were made to the then Selston colliery and also to Moorgreen Blackshale workings.
Cross-measures drifts were also made to New Selston Tupton workings. A thirling in the Tupton seam between Selston and Moorgreen was completed in 1956 and in 1978 a connection was made to Moorgreen K14s Supply gate in the Blackshale.
At Pye Hill No1 colliery (Selston at Underwood) entry into the Blackshale was by drifting from the Tupton and production started in 1956. When the collieries were merged in 1968 these Blackshale workings were divided, the East side going to Moorgreen and the West side to Pye Hill. There was also a connection to Brinsley shafts by a 1in3 drift. This was defunct from 1984.
Production from the Piper seam began in 1979, finishing with P4s in June 1985, the initial development commencing in Feb 1977 in the vicinity of the Selston shaft (now known as Pye Hill colliery No1 shaft). The drivage of a return drift from the Deep Soft and a main intake from the intersection of the Piper seam in the 1in4 drift connecting the pit bottom and the main trunk road in the Blackshale.