Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Decline Of The Industry Continued
After Nationalisation 1947

Bk5
Chimneys
1985

1985 Pages   1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9     10     11  

1985 - Page 3


Moorgreen Closed After 120 Years

  • Moorgreen colliery (South Nottinghamshire) produced its lowest tonnage for many years at 341,543 tonnes for the financial year 1984-1985 with a manpower of 565.
  • Maximum output 1,058,420 tons in 1963 with 1,505 men.
  • Maximum manpower was 1,719 in 1953 when 760,834 tons was produced.
  • The pit was closed at the end of July 1985 after 120 years.
  • Moor Green 2 shafts at 13ft (3.96m) dia were sunk in 1865 to the North of Eastwood by Barber Walker and Co to the Deep Hard at 266 yards (244m). Height above sea level was 265.75 feet (81m). Shaft positions E447947, N347863 and E447911, N347837.
  • Turbines were closed down in 1956, installed in 1937.
  • Area Central Garage built at Moorgreen in 1954.
  • A loco shed was built in 1968.
  • The Low Main drift driven in 1921 was repaired in 1939 and 650 yards (585m) of heading down to new pit bottom. The shaft walls and pit bottom arch section was lined with reinforced concrete. Completed by 1942. Other work such as deepening the sump by 25 yards (23m) was suspended during the War and was completed in 1945.
  • The adit drift haulage started June 1945. Conveyors replaced this later. There was a spiral chute to No1 loading point. A cable belt was installed and operational first week in April 1956.
  • The old pit top was dismantled, skip equipment installed and a new winding house built after 1945 and the old engine dismantled.
  • Pithead baths opened 1953.
  • Selston coal was sent to Moorgreen from August 1956

Seams

  • The Top Hard seam 4 feet 6 inches (1.37m) thick at 124 yards (113m) deep.
  • 1st Waterloo (Abbey) 3 feet 1 inch (0.94m) at 141 yards (129m), 1963-1967.
  • 2nd Waterloo (Deep Main) 3 feet 5 inches (1.04m) at 157 yards (143m) from High Park 1918-1927, drift from Moorgreen to High Park then wound up Moorgreen.
  • Deep Soft 3 feet 3 inches (0.99m) at 269 yards (246m) finished Sep 1949.
  • Deep Hard 2 feet 6 inches (0.76m) at 286 yards (261m).
  • Piper 3 feet (0.91m) at 297 yards (271m).
  • Low Main.

Nationalisation in 1947

On Nationalisation in 1947 the pit became a unit of No5 Area of the NCB and from 1967 became part of South Nottinghamshire Area

  • Lodge started 1948, Moorgreen from 1949
  • Lodge Piper up Moorgreen from 1959, Lodge men then wound at Moorgreen No1 Dec 1959
  • Then became Moorgreen Piper, Lodge No1 and No2 then renamed Moorgreen No4 and No5
  • Low Main or Tupton 3 feet (0.91m) at 333 yards (305m)
  • Blackshale 4 feet 6 inches (1.37m) thick at 374 yards (342m) deep, - Mar 1968

Connections were made to High Park and Pye Hill and a surface drift at 1in3 grade was driven from both ends in 1940. The top part had to constructed in concrete because of ground fissures.

At High Park water had flooded the shafts when sinking began in 1856. The water was coming from the nearby Moorgreen Reservoir constructed from 1795-1800c to be used as a feeder for the Nottingham Canal. After draining the Reservoir, sinking was completed to the 6 feet (1.83m) plus Top Hard seam and the shafts equipped by 1861. Barber Walker & Company successfully sued the Nottingham & Grantham Canal Co.

Coal turning had finished at the High Park shafts in Feb 1927 and all coal was hauled through a connection made to Moorgreen in 1924, down a 1in9.7 drift to the Deep Hard pit bottom until 1945. During 1944 coal was wound up High Park shaft for a time. Coal was then hauled up the surface drift in tubs by rope driven by a 460hp steam engine. The coal went to the screens via a cross conveyor.

At High Park the 2nd Waterloo or Deep Seam was worked by hand got system and holing was done in the middle dirt band, the dirt being gobbed. An electric coal cutter was installed in early1940s. 1st Waterloo or Abbey seam was worked until Sep 1932. The High Park shafts were filled and capped in 1957.


There Was Strike At The Pit 1873

There was strike at the pit starting January 1873 following a change of working hours by the Co.
The miners were striving for an 8 hour day but the lads hours were 10 hours a day.
A new pay scale for boys was accepted in 1908.

In 1934 a new steel headgear was built.

Boilers capable of burning slurry were installed.

The first manhauler was operational in 1937 and a further one in 1940.

Deep Hard to Low Main drift with the Low Main developed in 1941.

A new pit bottom was made at the Low Main horizon.

New winders were installed in 1946.

Skips installed in 1947.

A diesel loco was introduced underground.

No2 shaft was deepened between 1940 and 1945 as part of a reorganisation planned up to 1950.
Water was pumped at Moorgreen at around 155 gallons per minute and water also passed through Moorgreen from overspill at Woodside and also from Babbington and was allowed to enter a water lodge constructed at Bentinck via several purpose drilled boreholes.

The first 5 leg chocks (4 leg Seaman chocks with cantilever bars) were installed at Moorgreen (and Silverwood in South Yorkshire).

Nearby New London shaft position: 43/4846/614144, 220 yards (201m) deep.


Seams Worked

  • Top Hard (Rifle bed) 4’ 6” (1.37m) 1866-
  • 1st Waterloo 3’ 1” (0.94m) -1966
  • Deep Seam (2nd Waterloo) heads abandoned top coal 2’ 3” (0.68m), dirt and coal 3” (0.08m), coal 3” (0.08m), dirt 1’ 0” (0.30m), coal 1’ 8” (0.51m)
  • 2nd Waterloo -1919, 2nd Waterloo 3’ 5” (1.04m) 1927-24/9/1976
  • Deep Soft  3’ 3” (1.0m) 1870-26/9/1949
  • Deep Hard (Jays 11”, Scuds 9”, hards 4’ 3”) (1.30m) 1870-1931/32
  • New Soft or Piper 3’ 0” (0.91m) -1931 drift 1in3 down from Deep Hard
  • 1st Piper (or New Soft) coal 2’ 0” and dirty coal 9”) -1962
  • Low Main or Tupton 3’ 0” (0.91m) 1948-1953, -1968
  • Blackshale 4’ 6” (1.37m) 1976-1985.

Deep seam worked from High Park developed 1918-1927. In 1927 a 1in10 drift from Moorgreen Deep Hard was driven to High Park and after completion the coal was then wound at Moorgreen.

No1 shaft manriding and materials to 2nd Waterloo and Blackshale, 2 x 2 decks, 16 men or 2 tubs. 

No2 shaft 7¼ ton skip, manriding 8 men, shaft deepened in 1945 at 14ft dia (4.27m) and No1 deepened at 14ft (4.27m) in 1949 to Tupton at 333 yards (305m). 

New pit bottom 1953.

No3 shaft 12ft dia (3.65m) 115 yards (105m) sunk to Top Hard 1865,

UC for 2nd Waterloo Dec 1960 when a connection was made to Watnall shafts and new fans installed.

No3 then became a DC shaft and coal was wound from Deep Hard level. 

Shaft deepened to Tupton in 1945 and a Surface drift 660 yards (603m) at 1in 3, 12ft x 9ft (3.65 x 2.74m) was driven in 1943.

The 2nd Waterloo coal was transported out via the drift in tubs hauled by endless rope.

From 1948-1956 Deep Hard coal was wound at No2 shaft from Tupton level.

A 42” cable belt was installed in the 1in3 surface drift in April 1956 and all coal ultimately was exited there, the 2nd Waterloo and Piper only to start with.

Until 1927 the 2nd Waterloo was only worked from High Park.

A steep drift about 1in2 was driven to the Deep Hard and the seam was then worked from Moorgreen.

100hp Hudswell Clarke diesel locos operational 1946.

Further development of the 2nd Waterloo in December 1960 when a connection was made to Watnall No1 and No2 shafts at the Main Smut horizon, these shafts being used as Upcast shafts for a limited period.

Watnall No1 was used for manriding and supplies.

Watnall Main Bright water hazard when the pumps were switched off.

Prior to the end of 1964 hard water had encrusted the pump equipment. There was an inrush of water into W16s panel in the 2nd Waterloo in September 1964. It was assumed that the Top Hard barrier had been fractured as it was different water as from ancient workings. Another source of water was from down Moorgreen No3 shaft through old Top Hard workings to High Park and down the drifts to the 2nd Waterloo seam.

Prior to 1968 the Blackshale was worked from Selston but wound up Moorgreen shaft via roads in the Tupton seam.

In March 1968 Selston was abandoned and half the reserves were given to Pye Hill and the south east half given to Moorgreen.

In 1969 drifts to the Blackshale were driven from Tupton to work the coal to the northeast. These workings were stopped 19/7/1985 and finally abandoned 18/12/1985.


Surface Locos 4’ 8½” Gauge:

  •  5 0-6-0ST 1874
  •  6 0-6-0ST 1873
  •  20 0-6-0T 1893, rebuilt 1920
  •  21 0-6-0T 1891
  •  8 0-6-0ST 1883
  •  23 0-6-0T 1900
  •  24 0-6-0ST 1883
  •  33 0-6-0ST 1944
  •  0-6-0ST 1943
  •  4wVBT ?
  •  36 0-6-0ST 1945
  •  37 0-6-0ST 1945
  •  38 0-6-0ST 1954
  •  0-6-0DE 1955
  •  0-6-0DE 1957
  •  39 0-6-0ST 1943
  •  34 0-6-0ST 1943
  •  D8 0-6-0DH 1961
  •  D1 0-6-0DE 1955
  •  0-6-0DE 1962
  •  9 4wDH 1962
  •  10 4wDH 1962
  •  DE6 0-6-0DE 1960
  •  D11 0-8-0DH 1964
  •  D12 0-8-0DH 1964
  •  D13 0-6-0DH 1964
  •  D14 David 0-6-0DE 1958
  •  D15 Simon 0-6-0DE 1958
  •  D16 Robin 0-6-0DE 1958.

Underground Locos 3’ 6” Gauge

  • Pioneer 0-6-0DMF 1946
  • Vanguard 0-6-0DMF 1946
  • No2 Festival of Britain 0-6-0DMF 1950
  • No3 Festival of Britain 1950.

 

Page 4