1958 - Page 1
Collieries in No1 Area, Bolsover, 1958
- General Manager Norman Siddall (3655)
- Production Manager George Inverarity (2666)
- No1 Robert Scott (4454)
- No2 Arthur W Baddeley (2543)
- No3 Frank T Murphy (4644)
- No4 Jim H Stone (4524).
- Bolsover, Deep Hard, 877 and 186 Manager Harry Jones (3630), Undermanager J Webster (1386)
- High Moor Drift, Clowne, 57 and 6, output 33,379 tons from one face, Manager George Walker (3903)
- Oxcroft, Main Bright, 662 and 118, Manager A McNeish (1653), Undermanager F Marsden (4745)
- Ramcroft, Top Hard and 1st Waterloo, 474 and 105, Manager G Bishop (3009), Undermanager Don Hunt (4595)
- Renishaw Park, Deep Soft and Chavery, 639 and 108, Manager AH Jackson (5097), Undermanager S Hunt (6092)
- Westthorpe, Flockton and Thorncliffe, 1,092 and 203, Manager George Walker (3903), Undermanager George Bradshaw (6694 / 2)
- Arkwright, 1st Waterloo, 691 and 120, Manager Frank Rimmer (3649), Undermanager TC Beaver (4436)
- Ireland, Deep Hard, 779 and 195, Manager George S Payton (4228), Undermanager A Russell Dove (4719)
- Markham No1, Blackshale, 751 and 149, Manager Alec Belfitt (3052), Undermanager Rob L Tighe (4871)
- Markham No2, Deep Soft, 1,014 and 241, Manager Harry Wright (3911), Undermanagers JH Eric Dobb (4407) and Chris Gifford (5831) (later to HMI)
- Markham No4, Deep Hard, 900 and 168, Manager Peter Hallam (4279), Undermanager FV Haywood (6648 / 2)
- Grassmoor, Manager Charlie L Round (2996), Undermanager Fred Oldfield (4397), Threequarter, Tupton and Piper, manpower included with Williamthorpe, Manager Vacant, Undermanagers WH Lowe (3383 / 2), Dennis A Brain (6055) and Des Stringer (5243), Deep Hard, Deep Soft and Tupton, 2,259 and 451
- Holmewood, Tupton, Threequarter and Deep Hard, 1087 and 302, Manager Sam B Pick (1149), Undermanagers G Mason (3577 / 2) and A Whitton (6162) (Pilsley Tupton)
- Morton, Tupton and Threequarters, 881 and 150, Manager William H Southern (2602), Undermanager GC Clayton (5402)
- Parkhouse, Tupton and Deep Hard, 744 and 140, Manager Cyril Hazlehurst (4443), Undermanager Les Hayes (5679)
- Pilsley, Threequarters, 37 and 34, closed, Manager RH Swallow (2557)
- Woolley Moor, Alton, 598 and 5, Undermanager EC Prince (3519 / 2)
- Creswell, High Hazel, 1,144 and 320, Manager Sid C Carter (2979), Undermanager H Beech (4202)
- Glapwell No1 Manager J Gillespie (2090), Undermanager R Wilson (4886) and No3, Manager Tom Wallace (5270), Undermanager G Jack Wood (5274) and Deep Hard Undermanager H Ross (4906), 1st Waterloo, Low Main and Deep Hard, 2,274 and 488
- Langwith, High Main, 1,064 and 246, Manager Peter I Allsop (5283), Undermanager Jim B Wallace (8061)
- Whitwell, High Hazel, 1,123 and 225, Manager Len E Fletcher (3059), Assistant Manager Wilf Daniels (2957 / 2), Undermanager B George Stepney (5360).
Collieries in No3 Area
- Edwinstowe, 1958: General Manager Arden A Bowker (2736), Production Manager P Cliff Parry (4149), Deputy Area Production Manager (Ops) J William Crossland (3610), Deputy Area Production Manager (Planning) Jim Reid (2103): Group Managers No1 Jack S Thompson (3006), No2 George H Keverne (3333), No3 Charlie W Ringham (2199) and No4 Jack Hanman (3115).
- Blidworth, Top Hard, 1,449 and 330, Manager George Brown (5088), Assistant Manager William (Bill) J Galloway (4803), Undermanager John H Smith (4964)
- Mansfield, High Hazel, 1,493 and 294, Manager J Brian Perry (3119), Assistant Manager F Jimmy Hooley (4668), Undermanager Arthur E Jacques (5132 / 2)
- Sherwood, Top Hard, Dunsil and Deep Soft, 948 and 277, Manager Robert Anderson (5547), Assistant Manager Jack Winnard (3909), Undermanager Jack Winfield (5720)
- Shirebrook, Top Hard, Main Hard and Deep Soft, 1,356 and 347, Manager Frank Heald (3274), Assistant Manager Glynn Wynn Rodgers (5313), Undermanager G Shadbolt
- Warsop, Top Hard and High Hazel, 1,251 and 347, Manager R John French (5532), Assistant Manager Jim B Kerr (5226), Undermanager George T Tildesley (6399)
- Welbeck, Top Hard, 1,306 and 333, Manager Jack E Wood (4395), Assistant Manager Chris Bollans, Undermanager Wilf Barrett (5395)
- Clipstone, Top Hard and Low Main, 1,185 and 269, Agent/Manager vacant, Assistant Manager J William (Bill) Rawlins (4225), Undermanager Cyril Arnold (5624)
- Rufford, Top Hard, 1,759 and 384, Manager Len Wright (4456), Assistant Manager Harry Jones (3595), Undermanager Frank Wheatcroft (2164 / 2)
- Thoresby, Top Hard, 1,470 and 312, Manager Sam Thorneycroft (2499), Assistant Manager Abe L Goodwin (3834), Undermanager Joe Green (3392 /2)
- Bilsthorpe, Top Hard and Low Main, 1,189 and 312, Manager John H Williams (4368), Assistant Manager Frank Mallinder (3236), Undermanager J Downes (4678 / 2)
- Harworth, Barnsley Bed, 1,498 and 409, Manager Fergus McNeill (4553), Assistant Manager Horace Henshaw (3328), Undermanager C Senior (4087 / 2)
- Ollerton, Top Hard, 1,282 and 289, Manager David R Mounsey (4840), Assistant Manager David Rodden (5352), Undermanager Edward E (Teddy) Bishop (5396)
- Bevercotes, sinking, Manager John H Otter (5592).
Collieries in No4 Area
- Huthwaite, 1958: General Manager F Donald Severn (977), Production Manager Charlie Round (2996), Group Managers No1 Jimmy A Wright (3926), No2 Jack W Smalley (3722), No3 Humphrey F Watson (4986), No4 Jack Frith (3831).
- Annesley, Deep Soft, 731 and 185, Manager Sam M Merry (1923), Undermanagers Marshall Robson (3011 / 2) and A John Burgess (6153)
- Kirkby, Deep Soft and High Main, 1,466 and 308, Manager Les Cumberland (5563), Undermanagers AW Wood (5800), Charlie Hart (3640 / 2) and Lol Harcombe (7162 / 2)
- Newstead, High Main, 990 and 272, Manager Ray Gregory (4354), Undermanagers HN Bates (1889 / 2), A Stewart (3152 / 2) and Harold Greasley (3913 / 2)
- Alfreton, Blackshale, Threequarter and Yard, 683 and 183, Manager Eric G Sellars (3000), Undermanagers E Watts (2743 / 2) and Jack F Dodd (4495)
- Blackwell A Winning, Threequarter, Silkstone and Low Main, 965 and 255, Manager Horace Wenman (3254), Undermanagers L Upton (2nd), L Halley (2nd) and E Cliff Glover (2nd)
- Blackwell B Winning, Waterloo and Threequarter, 507 and 124, Manager vacant, Undermanager Arthur Gidlow (5831)
- New Hucknall, Piper, 490 and 147, Manager Jack S Fletcher (2139), Undermanager Eric Allcock (3411 / 2)
- Shirland, Deep Soft, Deep Hard and Threequarter, 418 and 91, Manager Fred B Turton (5713), Undermanager Freddie Towndrow (3329 / 2)
- Wingfield Manor, Low Main, Threequarter and Blackshale, 469 and 103, Manager Edward Arthur Hopkins(5684), Undermanager B Wheeler (3753 / 2)
- Bentinck, Waterloo, Deep Soft, Deep Hard and Low Main, 1,259 and 318, Agent/Manager Tommy R Jameson (2621), Undermanagers RA Vincent (5873 / 2), T Les Dennis (6968 / 2), Harold J Eley (3175 / 2) and Denis W Ward (6003)
- Brookhill, Piper, Low Main and Blackshale, 828 and 214, Manager Sid Vardy (4647), Undermanagers WH Tideswell (2nd), Frank Dale (5643) and Arthur Townsend (6400)
- Cotes Park, Yard, 354 and 87, Manager George K Noble (5852), Undermanager Bernard Smalley (3406 / 2)
- Langton, Waterloo and Silkstone, 737 and 204, Manager Bernard Gascoyne (6286), Undermanagers Ernie Kirkwood (2250 / 2) and Wilf G Shelton (3736 / 2)
- South Normanton, pumping 2 and 7, Manager Sid Vardy (4647)
- Swanwick, Low Main, Yard and Silkstone, 927 and 205, Manager Albert Field (2502), Undermanagers Joe A Rodgers (4226) and Alan Severn (4963)
- Pleasley, Dunsil and Deep Hard, 1,043 and 278, Manager Edward (Teddy) R Maiden (5341), Undermanagers Charlie Hall (4055 / 2), Colin Wells (6005) and Ron N Leverett (6738)
- Silverhill, Deep Hard and Low Main, 965 and 253, Manager Robert (Bob) A Moncur (1793), Undermanagers Joe Morley (3086 / 2), John R Moulton (6113) and W Robson (5536?)
- Sutton, Piper and Low Main, 477 and 143, Manager Joe H Cosford (5990), Undermanager Andrew Stones (2293 / 2)
- Teversal, Dunsil and Waterloo, 756 and 147 men, Manager Horace O Gubbins (2928), Undermanagers Jim E Davies (1489) and Willis Bacon (5574).
Collieries in No5 Area
- Eastwood, 1958: General Manager Tommy Wright (3048), Production Manager Cecil V Peake, Group Managers No1 Sam S Thornhill (3123), No2 William Murday (4631), No4 Arthur Dennis (4207).
- Coppice No1, Piper and Low Main, 576 and 124, Manager Alf Postlethwaite (4750), Assistant Manager vacant, Undermanager David A Weir (6148)
- Coppice No3, Ashgate and Mickley, 642 and 138, Undermanager JE Smith (4364)
- Mapperley, Deep Soft, Piper and Low Main, 617 and 161, Agent Ben Denton (2594), Manager William E Bridgett (3816), Undermanager G Baker (2nd)
- Stanley, Piper, Low Main and Kilburn, 452 and 90, Agent Ben Denton (2594), Manager John Hobley (2651), Undermanager R Harrison (4057 / 2)
- Woodside No1, Top Hard and Waterloo, 76 and 8, Manager David M Parkes (5431), Assistant Manager Robert (Bob) Haworth (5086), Undermanager J Smith (2nd)
- Woodside No2, Piper, 729 and 176, Undermanager Jack Murday (5850)
- Woodside No3, Mickley and Ashgate, 531 and 176, Undermanager Sammy P Greaves (5674)
- Britain, pumping, Manager Cyril W Richards (5429)
- Denby, Silkstone, Mickley, Ashgate and Alton, 581 and 168, Manager Ronnie CH Hamilton (4441), Undermanager David C Alcock (5926)
- Denby Hall and Ripley, Piper, Mickley and Silkstone, 1,419 and 288, Manager Cyril W Richards (5429), Assistant Manager Derek M Wright (5161), Undermanagers Jim S Dodd (5803), GL Goff (2nd) (Ripley)
- New Langley, Roof Soft and Piper, 415 and 91, Manager John Dow (3090), Undermanager HT Botterill (7579 / 2)
- Ormonde, Piper, Low Main, Mickley and Ashgate, 756 and 220, Manager Des Marriott (5671), Undermanager Derek Noble (5922)
- Moorgreen, Low Main and surface, Manager Charlie W Dickens (4208), Undermanager A Brook (2nd)
- Moorgreen, Waterloo and Piper, men ? , Manager Bas G Wright (5160), Undermanagers S Akers (2684 / 2) (Piper) and S Wyld (6584 / 2) (Waterloo)
- Selston and Silkstone, Low Main and Silkstone, 568 and 115, Manager Stan Hayes (4214), Undermanagers Gerald Hartley (5838) and U William Hallam (6083)
- Cossall and Oakwood Grange, Piper and Low Main, 729 and 130, Manager Trevor T Allbrighton (3897), Undermanagers Jack Taylor (6263) (Cossall) and I Pilbeam (5872 / 2) (Oakwood Grange)
- Lodge, Piper, 362 and 83, Manager John R Trevorrow (3666), Undermanager KG Edwards (5826)
- Pye Hill and New Selston, Low Main and Blackshale, 816 and 208, Manager Maurice Godfrey (5994), Assistant Manager Derek M Brooks (5468), Undermanagers J Smith (6390) Pye Hill and R Tyler (3523) (New Selston).
Collieries in No6 Area
- Bestwood, 1958: General Manager Noel R Smith, Production Manager Walter Sharpe (2223), Group Managers No1 Eric P Lawrence (3181), No2 John K Walker (4319), No3 Arthur Walmsley.
- Bestwood, High Main, 1,818 and 447, Manager Frank Dunn (5647), Assistant Manager GMT Seaward (2nd), Undermanagers John E Hancock (2nd) and H Fisher (2nd)
- Calverton, High Main, 1,542 and 318, Manager William Tom Elliott (5567), Assistant Manager Fred Goodwin (6332), Undermanagers Ben H Beevers (5551) and Charlie Daykin (2nd)
- Linby, High Main, 1,090 and 266, Manager Cliff Rhodes (4610), Assistant Manager Harry Brown (2nd), Undermanager vacant
- Babbington, High Hazel, Deep Soft and Deep Hard, 1,499 and 347, Manager Stan Chadwick (3747), Assistant Manager WH John (3711), Undermanagers SE Marston (2nd) and W Housley (2nd)
- Hucknall 1 and 2, High Main, Main Bright and Low Bright, 1,126 and 369, Manager William Morrell (2577), Undermanagers C Kinston (2nd), LT Saxton (2nd) and T Brown (2nd)
- Radford, Deep Hard and Tupton, 510 and 146, Agent W Alan Jones, Manager J Derek Harding (5225), Undermanager B Meakin (2nd)
- Wollaton, Deep Hard, Piper and Tupton, 671 and 137, Agent W Alan Jones, Manager Wilf Clements (5817), Undermanager Wilf F Morrell (7879)
- Clifton, Deep Hard and Piper, 942 and 229, Manager Wilf Knight (5224), Assistant Manager Kenn Butt (4675), Undermanager Ken J Simmons (6132)
- Cotgrave, developing 82 and 118, Manager W Alan Jones (535)
- Gedling, Top Hard and Low Hazel, 1,961 and 536, Manager TJ Robert (Bob) Sales (5516), Assistant Manager AJ Wilkinson (2nd), Undermanagers A Lomas (2nd), Harold Durkin (6168) and MS Beedan (2nd).
South Derbyshire Collieries in No7 Area
- Cole Orton, 1958: General Manager William Unsworth (2391), Production Manager Harry B Bennett (2820), Deputy Area Production Managers LJ Mills (Ops) and Tom W Peters (4482) (Planning), Group Managers No1 William C Statham (3660), No2 Jack EM Chapman (1734), No3 Sam A McKee (3637), No4 Jack Godley (4139) (for South Derbyshire pits)
- Bretby, Stockings and Woodfield, 290 and 83, Manager Derek Smith (5445), Undermanagers A Cheatle (1602 / 2nd) and Tom Ollerton (3933)
- Cadley Hill, Little Kilburn, Little Woodfield and Kilburn, 447 and 111, Manager Jock R Gibson (4391), Undermanagers WJ Thomas (7235 / 2nd) and Arthur H Henson (5775)
- Church Gresley, Stockings, Woodfield, Eureka, Main and Kilburn, 808 and 215, Manager Ernest W Bosworth (4012), Undermanagers HJ Betteridge (2nd) and J Chris Boyle (5733)
- Swadlincote, Block, Stockings and Woodfield, 462 and 140, Manager William Tatham (4103), Undermanagers A Atkin (6276 / 2nd), GF Gill (4857) and WE Jones (5103).
- Bagworth 710 Middle Lount, Nether Lount, Yard and High Main, 190 s/f, Manager Jock McPherson (5237), Undermanager AL Street (3792 / 2nd)
- Desford 1,151 Nether Lount, Middle Lount, High Main, Upper Main, Yard, Lower Main, 279 s/f, Manager R Jim W Agar (3049), Undermanagers M McPherson (5551 / 2nd), A Hunter (3949), M Smith (3248)
- Ellistown 881 High Main, Middle Lount, Nether Lount, 224 s/f, Manager H Johnston (2284), Undermanager Alec Hindmarsh (5417)
- Merry Lees 484 Lower Main, Yard, 113 s/f, Manager Arthur Summers (4896), Undermanager John T Anderson (4917)
- Nailstone 630 Middle Lount, Nether Lount, Yard, Lower Main, Manager John Henry Northard (4954) (later Area Director North Derbyshire), Undermanagers W Flint (5118 / 2nd), Charlie Toon (4634)
- New Lount 690 Middle Lount, Nether Lount, Yard, High Main, 158 s/f, Manager Peter L Richardson (3242) (promoted to Group Manager), Undermanagers F Gregory (5757 / 2nd), Ken Bradford (5553) (promoted to Manager)
- Snibston 644 Lower Main, Middle Lount, Nether Lount, 201 s/f, Manager Reg Price (5134) (promoted to Group Manager), Undermanager C Shaw (2835 / 2nd)
- South Leicester 670 Middle Lount, Nether Lount, High Main, 189 s/f, Manager Fred C Neath (1599), Undermanagers AB Wortley (1817), Lol Newbold (5589)
- Whitwick 765 Five Feet, Middle Lount, Nether Lount, 190 s/f, Manager W Hall (1023), Undermanagers CJ Mattley (5636 / 2nd), Sherratt G Joyce (4827)
- Donisthorpe 960 Little Woodfield, Woodfield and Stockings, 238 s/f. Manager Les R Watkin (4376) (promoted to Group Manager), Undermanagers HE Whaling (338 / 2nd), John Pash (5758), Stuart A Skelding (6257) (promoted to Manager), Granville 564 Kilburn, Little Kilburn, Little and Stockings, 145 s/f, Manager William Wallace (2747), Undermanager C Clamp (6516 / 2nd)
- Measham (including Minorca) 573 Woodfield, Stockings, Main and Eureka, 147 s/f, Manager Walter Lavin (6548), Undermanager JW Webb (2932 / 2nd)
- Rawdon 1,033 Stockings, Woodfield, Eureka, 239 s/f, Manager Hunter C Reid (5386), Undermanager G Morris (5149 / 2nd).
- Cobnar Wood (JW Fidler Ltd, Whitecotes Colliery) and Manager, Deep Hard and Tupton, nil and 4
- Dent Main (Dent Main Colliery (1924) Ltd), Parkgate, 26 and 13, Agent and Manager A Pemberton
- Doe Lea (Doe Lea Colliery Co Ltd), Top Hard, 22 and 8, Manager Dominic Lavin
- Handley No1 (Handley Collieries Ltd), Flockton, 30 and 6, Agent HS Lee, Manager J Hall
- Harper Hill (Horace Taylor (Whatstandwell) Ltd), Waterloo, 12 and 2, Manager Don Rogerson
- Lightwood (Handley Collieries Ltd), Deep Hard, 20 and 4, Agent HS Lee, Manager J Hall
- Moor Side (Dent Main Colliery (1924) Ltd), Parkgate, 10 and 2, Agent and Manager A Pemberton
- Moorwood Moor Quarry (Refractory Mining Ltd) Alton, 10, Agent MH Potts
- Mossbrook (Mossbrook Colliery Ltd), Parkgate
- Newbold (Pearson and Co (Chesterfield) Ltd) , Tupton, Tupton Threequarters and fireclay, 10 and 3
- New Plumbley (W Redfern), Deep Hard
- Riley Lane (H and C Hartshorne, Furnace Hill Colliery), Low Main, 11 and 3
- Scarsdale (H Blair, J Blairand W Outram), Top Hard, 15
- Springfield Mine (Firthwood Collieries Ltd), Deep Soft
- Strathfield (H and CHartshorne), Blackshale
- Stretton Straw Lane (Horace Taylor(Whatstandwell) Ltd) Deep Hard, room and pillar, coal undercut by Siskol cutter
- Wheeldon Mill No1 (JS Gaunt) and Manager, Deep Hard and Piper, 17 and 4.
In January 1958, the Beethoven Dynamo Condenser type shot exploder was first used at Teversal (Nottinghamshire) in 40s Dunsil seam scouring.
A shotfiring metal mesh curtain can be drawn across the gate to act as a barrier to any stray material blasted along the gate from a shot.
Week ending 15th January 1958 saw a record 46,940,000 tons produced in the East Midlands Division.
During 1958 there were outbursts of methane gas at Markham (North Derbyshire) Deep Hard seam at 490 yards (448m) deep, and Renishaw Park Chavery seam at 400 yards (366m) deep and Ireland Deep Hard at 210 yards (192m) deep (North Derbyshire).
Partial Extraction At Ireland
At Ireland (Derbyshire) the first face in the old Campbell ‘take’ was started. A Joy continuous miner was introduced also to partially extract coal from beneath built up areas to minimise subsidence damage.
New Mines Rescue Station
The new Mines Rescue Station costing £80,000 was opened at Mansfield Woodhouse on the main A60 Mansfield Road on 13th February 1958 replacing the old one on Yorke Street opposite, which had opened in 1910. Purpose-built assimilated underground galleries were built for training purposes. New housing was built adjacent for the full-time Rescue members to supplement the existing ones on Yorke Street. The last Rescue Station opened was in 1931. Other Rescue Stations in the region were at Ilkeston, Chesterfield and Ashby de la Zouch (1954).
Blizzards Cause Havoc
The worst blizzards for 10 years caused widespread havoc on 23rd / 24th / 25th February 1958.
Brinsley Merged with Selston
Brinsley (Nottinghamshire) merged with Selston at Underwood (Nottinghamshire) since 1950 was closed 24th February 1958. Maximum output for Selston 548,595 tons with 738 men in 1964/65 and maximum manpower 766 in 1961. Shaft positions: SK44NE, No1 shaft 446429, 348779, No2 shaft 446427, 348778. The shafts would remain open for ventilation and pumping for some years. Self-set trees on the small dirt tip completed the scene.
Surveyors included: … Bernard Gill (2587).
Cage Crashed At Brookhouse
On 4th March 1958 44 men were injured many with broken legs when a cage crashed into the pit bottom at Brookhouse colliery, Beighton (South Yorkshire).
Coal stocks reached the highest ever in Nottinghamshire.
Sherwood Brickworks Closed
Sherwood brickworks closed down 19th April 1958. The bricks were renowned for their hardness and were made from bind out of the pit not clay.
NCB tenants received notice of rent increases from 30th April 1958, as much as plus 12s 0d (60p) a week.
The maximum ever manpower at Williamthorpe (Derbyshire) reached 2,767 and similarly a maximum 1,837 at Calverton (Nottinghamshire) in 1958.