1960 - Page 1
The Mines (Notification of Dangerous Occurrences) Order 1959 came into operation from 1st January 1960. This again put further pressure on Surveyors as more measuring was needed to produce plans were necessary following an incident or ‘dangerous’ occurrence. Sometimes we were ‘lucky’ as photographs were more explicit. The Manager was deemed to inform the Mines Inspector within hours of such.
Nottinghamshire County Council gave their support to the Coal Industry Housing Association’s (CIHA) plans to build 1,300 houses for miners at Cotgrave colliery. The planning application had been previously refused because it warranted building the houses on green belt land, however now the housing was required urgently for miners moving from the North East of England to the new pit.
On 10th February 1960 there was an accident on the newly opened South Paddy at Teversal (Nottinghamshire), where ‘Big Bill’ Marriott (Management Trainee / Overman, about 6’ 6” (1.98m) tall) struck his head on low girders of an old overcast whilst riding in the cars. The cars were travelling inbye downhill and he was sitting facing uphill. Again HMI were involved and the offending low girders removed before further manriding operations were allowed to restart. We went back to walking and it was quite steep going outbye, 1in6 max. He wasn’t too popular for a while – everybody said ‘he should have ducked’! He didn’t stop too long after that and emigrated to Australia.
West Kiveton Shafts
No3 and No4 shafts at West Kiveton (Derbyshire / Yorkshire) were filled in April 1960.
Miss Pamela Hands 17, of Mansfield was chosen as Blidworth Colliery Coal Queen at a dance at the Colliery Institute on 30th April 1960. Yearly competitions were held at many collieries in that era and winners went forward to the Area finals.
A new office block was opened at Eastwood Hall HQ.
New Sinkings in 1960
A new shaft No5 at 630 yards (576m) deep was completed at Hucknall (Nottinghamshire), sinking was begun in 1958. Shaft position: SK54NW, 454029, 348995.
A third drift was driven from the surface at Oxcroft where an old shaft 6 feet x 4 feet (1.98 x 1.22m) and wood lined was found on 8th July and old dry ancient workings were passed through in September. The Air shafts were 17 yards (15.5m) and 27 yards (25m) deep. Surveyor: F Barnett (2955).
Cotgrave (Nottinghamshire) at 685 yards (626m) deep sunk from June 1956 to July 1960 and the first pit south of the River Trent in a remote rural position began developing at Deep Soft horizon, however there would be floor heave and crush and much bye work would have to done. The winding shaft was equipped with cages that were independent of each other. Normally when cages are wound up and down the shaft, one cage is at the top when the other is at the bottom, whereas at Cotgrave either cage could be wound independently of the other from the overhead tower winder. Also at Cotgrave a new village was to be built to house the workforce, mainly from pits in the North East of England that were closing down. A Welfare Hall including all facilities would also be built.
Newbold Colliery (Derbyshire) Messrs Pearson and Co (Chesterfield) Ltd), Tupton Threequarter and clay. Coal 1’ 4” (0.40m) Dirt 2’ 3” (0.68m), clay 3’ 0” (0.91m).
Abandoned March 1960.
Reason for closure waterlogged area underground – no pumps. Lack of demand for product.
- Manager Tom Hill.
- Surveyor: William (Bill) M Erskine (1518) in February 1960.
At Creswell (Derbyshire) electric winders were installed during 1960 and 1961 replacing the old steam winders.
The No3 shaft at Moorgreen (Nottinghamshire) had been used as an upcast shaft for workings in the Second Waterloo seam until 1960, when a connection was made to Watnall colliery and new fans were installed there. The shaft was then converted to a downcast.
Shafts, Outlets and Roads Regulations 1960 came into force, also the Radioactive Substances Act, 1960.
Firedamp Drainage Regulations 1960 implemented where under Reg 13 (e) firedamp discharged underground to have a fence around the outlet and the gas not to exceed 2% by volume at the fence.
There was another outburst of firedamp at Harworth (Nottinghamshire) from the Barnsley bed. Men were sent home again.
The NCB processed fuels such as Phurnacite, Roomheat, Homefire, Sunbrite and Multiheat and privately manufactured smokeless fuels such as Rexco and Coalite. Housewarm another cheap grade of bituminous coal could be burned as the others ‘smokelessly’ leading to a vast increase in solid fuel roomheater appliances. To help to pay for the installation of a roomheater the NCB launched a Housewarming Plan which was a no deposit low interest loan scheme. Several of the local collieries were supplying coal to the adjacent manufacturing plants, for example, Mansfield, Ollerton and Thoresby to Rexco plants etc. At Rexco pre-sized coal was put into a retort and then the hot gases over the coals carbonised and drove off the volatiles.
Clipstone manufactured Coalite, where dust was burnt at a low temperature and created a light coke, the volatiles being around 19%.
Coventry Homefire was a briquette manufactured from various mixes of coal and dust.
Collieries Closed in 1960
Shipley and Lodge, Newthorpe, Were Closed 1960 After 82 Years
On 31st January 1960 coal production was ended at Shipley Woodside No2 (Derbyshire) after 60 years. (see 1961)
Lodge, Newthorpe, (Nottinghamshire) working Piper seam was closed in 1960 after 82 years and merged with Moorgreen. The colliery was located between Eastwood to the north and Awsworth to the south.
Lodge was sunk to the Kilburn seam in 1880 and closed in 1896. However it was reopened in 1915 to work other seams.
Aluminium prefab pithead baths were opened in April 1949 along with a canteen. Coal was transported through the connection to Moorgreen from 7 December 1959.
Seams worked: Piper, Low Main, Kilburn.
- 1951: 264 P and LM, 89 s/f
- 1952: 270 P and LM, 89 s/f
- 1953: 270 P and Lm, 89 s/f
- 1954: 335 P and LM, 85 s/f
- 1955: 339 P, LM, 90 s/f
- 1956: 339 Piper and Low Main, 90 s/f
- 1957: 362 P, 83 s/f
- 1958: 362 P, 83 s/f
- 1959: 364 P, 90 s/f;
- Tommy Wright (3048)
- Jim William Crossland (3610)
- Jim H Stone (4524)
- Hubert Hyde (2411) – 1955
- John R Trevorrow (3666) 1955-1960 (transferred to Area Safety Engineer).
- W Platt (1036 / 2nd)
- Frank E Shields (3152) -1955
- Gerald Hartley (5838) 1955-1956
- Ken G Edwards (5826) 1956-1960
New Langley Colliery Was Closed 1960 After 70 Years - Merged With Ormonde
New Langley colliery, (Derbyshire) sunk 120 yards deep (110m) in 1889-1890 to Deep Hard as New Winnings by the Butterley Iron and Coal Co, was closed in 1960 after 70 years and merged with Ormonde. East shaft position: SK44NW 444660, 346410.
The mine was situated in Langley Mill to the south of the main road from Eastwood to Heanor. DC shaft 43/4446/661415, UC shaft 43/4346/599401.
In Feb 1880 it was found that much damage had been done to houses and shops in Langley Mill due to workings from Langley Colliery, owned by Butterley Co. About 20 houses were affected but the company owned most of them. Two shops remained empty.
7 Sep 1887 Langley was closed on the Friday and all the horses belonging to Jeremiah Eggleshaw were all drawn out of the pit. The tools were removed also and the men were dismissed by Butterley Co.
In Jan 1891 New Langley, which had closed in 1887 due to trade being very bad, was re-opened. 2 stalls were working and 15 men had been set on. William Sutton was manager and William Beresford was undermanager.
- Roof Soft -1924
- Deep Soft -1924
- Deep Hard -1924
- Low Main -26/6/1941
- Piper -1957 were worked.
Highest ever manpower was 505 in 1953 and highest tonnage 244,877 in 1956.
Manpower: listed as New Winnings until 1891 – under Loscoe.
- 1887: sinking New Winnings
- 1888: Deep Soft
- 1889: Deep Soft
- 1890: Deep Soft
- 1891 New Langley
- 1892 Deep Hard
- 1893DH merged with Loscoe: DH
- 1894: DH
- 1895: DH
- 1896: DH
- 1897: DH
- 1898: DH; split and now New Langley
- 1899: 54 Deep Hard, 10 s/f
- 1900: 93 DH, 19 s/f
- 1901: 123 DH, 19 DH
- 1902: 128 DH, 18 s/f
- 1903: 155 DH, 28
- 1904: 145 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 30 s/f
- 1905: 155 DS, DH, 29 s/f
- 1906: 133 DS, DH, 29 s/f
- 1907: 133 DS, DH, 23 s/f
- 1908: 127 DS, DH, 22 s/f
- 1909: 147 DS, DH, 31 s/f
- 1910: 155 DS, DH, 30 s/f
- 1911: 164 DS, DH, 32 s/f
- 1912: 190 DS, DH, 44 s/f
- 1913: 206 DS, DH standing, 53 s/f
- 1914: 225 DS, 49 s/f
- 1915: 215 DS, 54 s/f
- 1916: 212 DS, 60 s/f
- 1917: 219 DS, 50 s/f
- 1918: 219 DS, 50 s/f
- 1919: 240 DS and Low Main, 75 s/f
- 1920: 258 DS, Hard, Roof, LM, 85 s/f
- 1921: 246 DS, H, R, LM, 50 s/f
- 1922: 232 DS, H, R, LM, 54 s/f
- 1923: 198 DS, H, Roof, LM, 54 s/f
- 1924: 218 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, Low Main, 69 s/f
- 1925: 209 Low Main, 69 s/f
- 1926: 243 LM, 61 s/f
- 1927: 237 LM, 59 s/f
- 1928: 194 LM, 57 s/f
- 1929: 193 LM, 51 s/f
- 1930: 189 LM, 52 s/f
- 1931: 187 LM, 50 s/f
- 1932: 188 LM, 48 s/f
- 1933: 188 LM, 54 s/f
- 1934: 179 LM, 52 s/f
- 1935: 177 LM, 52 s/f
- 1936: 159 LM, 44 s/f
- 1937: 167 LM, 55 s/f
- 1938: 196 LM, 67 s/f
- 1939: 194 LM, 68 s/f
- 1940: 192 LM, 69 s/f
- 1941: 184 LM, Piper and Deep Soft, 75 s/f
- 1942: 255 Piper, 104 s/f
- 1943: 301 P, 131 s/f
- 1944: 330 P, 148 s/f
- 1945: 361 P, 145 s/f
- 1946: 336 Deep Hard and Piper, 132 s/f