1986 - Page 8
Babbington (Cinderhill) Closed After 142 Years
- Continued -
No4 shaft at 420 yards (384m) deep was 6 yards (5.5m) diameter.
No5 shaft at 11 feet (3.35m) dia was sunk 125 yards (114m) to Low Bright in 1901, but used as an Air shaft and deepened in 1944.
BA Collieries Co Ltd took over the pits in 1936 and in 1942 No6 shaft Cinderhill at 18’ 2” (5.54m) dia was sunk 140 yards (128m) to Main Bright.
The No5 Bulwell shaft 10 feet (3.05m) dia, 307 yards (280m) deep, some 2 miles from Cinderhill, sunk in 1868 to the Top Hard to assist ventilation and also to allow men living nearby to descend to their work more easily was exhausted by 1910.
A small amount of coal, 100 to 150 tons a day was drawn by a small engine 25hp vertical high pressure, steam supplied by 2 egg ended boilers 4’ 6”(1.37m) x 30 feet (9m) long, to supply Landsale for Bulwell village and neighbourhood.
The Main Bright was worked until 1944.
From Jan 1945 to Oct 1946, No4 shaft was enlarged from 10 feet (3.05m) dia to 18’ 2” (5.54m) and deepened from 172 yards (157m) to Deep Soft at 202 yards (185m). The surface was 193 ft (58.8m) above sea level and the shaft finally abandoned in 1929 when the coal pillar supporting the shaft was then robbed 1929-1933.
The Cinderhill Main seam 3’ 9” (1.14m) was at 522 ft (159m) and Top Hard at 659’ 9” (201m).
In 1954 No1 Hucknall Colliery No2 shaft (sunk in 1870) was deepened from the Top Hard seam horizon at 143 yards (130m) to 553 yards (505m) and called No7 shaft for ventilation for Babbington.
In 1956/57 there was a major reorganisation when the original wooden headgears at Windy and Smokey shafts were demolished and new modern steel headgears built. During this period some men were bussed from Babbington pithead baths to Hucknall Top pit where the men rode No7 shaft to access the Deep Soft districts that were approaching Hucknall No2 pit shaft pillar in the town, substantially some distance from Babbington shafts. The men were bussed back to Babbington for bathing at the end of their shift. This system continued until the Babbington No1 and No2 shafts were brought back into commission as upcast shafts.
In 1967 No6 shaft was abandoned, filled in and capped.
The Newcastle shafts, sunk to Top Hard at 136 yards (124m) in 1853, were at Bobber’s Mill. Top Hard worked 1853-1928, Low Hazel from Bagthorpe heads 1916-1928, Main Bright 4’ 0” (1.22m) 40 yards (37m) High Hazel 2’ 9” (0.84m) 1928-1929 and Threequarter 85 yards (78m) deep, 100hp engine.
Kimberley shafts sunk 1855 to Top Hard, worked 1855-1875.
An UC shaft 9 feet (2.74m) dia, 110 yards (100m) deep with 6 yards (5m) sump, shaft bratticed throughout, single tram cages. A DC and pumping shaft 7 feet (2.1m) dia 110 yards (100m) deep plus 10 yards (9m) sump. 2 more shafts sunk to Deep Soft and worked 1865-1897, and Deep Hard 1864-1876. Broxtowe, 2 x 7 feet (2.13m) dia shafts sunk in 1863/65 were connected to the Broxtowe heads.
Under a lease of Strelley royalty held by John Thomas Edge.
Top Hard worked 1893-1917, Deep Soft 1890-1919, Deep Hard 1910-1929. It was merged with Babbington, and used as a ventilation shaft until abandoned and filled 1948/49.
Nuthall Temple pit – an old pit 7 feet (2.1m) dia, app 100 yards (91m) to Top Hard. This was intended by Mr Woodhouse to be a pumping shaft to drain the area and liberate coal to the rise to be worked by Cinderhill, Newcastle and Broxtowe collieries. A large engine house was being constructed, until the owner died. The engine was a vertical beam type.
A 6 feet (1.8m) dia shaft was abandoned at 12 yards (10m) deep.
Babbington 2 shafts 275 yards (250m) sunk 1859, DC 12 feet (3.65m) dia, 2 tiers of 2 trams on each deck, 90hp engine. 6 plain egg ended boilers, UC ventilation only, 10 feet (3.05m) dia, Jack engine 15hp. No haulages underground, all coal loaded out by horses.
On North’s death it was found that he owed Wright’s bank £190,574. The Wrights who traded as the Babbington Coal Co sold the property to Sir Charles Seely and Charles Seely Junior of Birchwood in 1872. The Seelys paid £114,000 for Basford Hall and grounds and the Babbington colliery together with Wright’s interest in the Radford Glebe lease on 3rd July 1872.
Hempshill shaft 43/5244/644476 was capped firstly in 1945 and again in 1955.
Broxtowe shaft E452354 N342932, was filled in 1946 prior to being over tipped. Shaft positions:
- No1 43/5453/319668
- No2 43/5343/313659,
- No3 43/5343/342671
- No4 43/5343/204711
- Cinderhill No6 43/5344/310221
At one time, 6 huge brick built chimneys and 4 wooden headstocks dominated the skyline.
American mining was introduced here under the Lease-lend agreement.
Longwall cutters with 13 feet (4m) jibs and Joy loaders, Duckbill loaders were tried.
It was a unit of No6 Area of the NCB, then South Nottinghamshire Area from 1967-1986.
According to Fred Paling ARICS (later Area Surveyor Yorkshire) when he was at Cinderhill No6 which was less than 200 yards (180m) from the main railway line, everyone knew what time it was in the Hazel seam which was about 120 yards (110m) deep when the 10.30am train was easily heard as it clattered by.
Babbington Colliery Rescue TeamThe photograph shows the Babbington colliery Rescue team. At all pits a couple of Rescue team men were arranged to be on all shifts.
Babbington canteen was opened in 1936.
New Pithead baths were opened in 1953, replacing the ones built in 1938.
A chain feeder for tubs and auto control at No4 shaft was installed in 1954.
The old No1 and No2 headgears were demolished in 1956 and a new No1 and No2 headgear with airlock built in 1957.
8 ton skips were installed at No4 shaft Deep Soft pit in 1958-1959.
A new surface and underground reorganisation was carried out in 1959.
There was a new underground bunker commissioned.
Cage Being Removed
The Deep Soft tubs were 15 cwts and in 1958 an underground tippler sent coal to 9 ton capacity skips.
An underground control cabin was operational in 1959.
Walton chocks and ‘dolly props’ with Groetschel bars were introduced in 1959.
A 42” (1.0m) wide cable belt was installed in Aug 1958.
A surface walkway was built in 1960.
Several other improvements were made such as Gullick 5 leg chocks.
Mono rail manriding was tried in 1960 and the Tupton drift had a Hunt ski-lift type manrider installed in 1963. Manriding in 1970 was by Hudswell Clarke diesel train taking men 3½ miles inbye.
Surface locos 4’ 8½” gauge:
- Colonel 0-6-0ST 1892
- Admiral 0-6-0ST 1900
- Michael 0-6-0ST 1945
- 0-6-0ST 1944
- Philip 0-6-0ST 1943
- Peter 0-6-0ST 1943
- 5 0-4-0ST 1921
- No5 4wVCG 1954
- No3 0-6-0DM 1954
- 6 Valerie 0-6-0ST 1924
- No3 Felix 0-6-0ST 1924
- Paul 0-6-0DM 1957
- 0-4-0DE 1958
- Jayne 4wDH 1964
- Stephen 0-6-0DH 1964
- Andrew 0-6-0DH 1956.
- 3’ 0” gauge: Darley Dale 0-4-0WT 1925
- Kinder 0-4-0WT 1925. 2’ 0” gauge: 4wDM 1958
- 4wDM 1958.
Underground locos 2’ 0” gauge:
- No1 0-6-0DMF 1957
- No2 0-6-0DMF 1957
- No3 4wDMF 1958
- No4 4wDMF 1961
- No5 0-6-0DMF 1963
- 0-6-0DMF 1964
- No7 0-6-0DMF 1966
- No8 0-6-0DMF 1967
- No3 4wDHF 1979
- 4wDHF 1980.