1970 - Page 1
Teversal Inrush Of Water
At Teversal (Nottinghamshire) on 21st January 1970, there was an inrush of water in 21s Waterloo panel from old Top Hard workings 40 yards (37m) above. No one was hurt but the ventilation was cut off for a time before the water was pumped away. The panel was stood whilst HMIs Freddie W Gill and Harry Jones inspected the incident. It was assumed that the water had been lying in a localised swilley in the seam above however because of the lack of information in that seam we were unaware that any water was there otherwise we would have had to have given notice to the Manager some time prior to the panel approaching any danger by means of a SM1 form detailing possible dangers and the Manager would acknowledge receipt of the warning by sending a MS1 back to the Surveyor. He would then in a case where water was known to exist arrange for a hole to be bored to prove same, usually arranged by the Area boring team using a Burnside borer with a stuffing box that would prevent an inrush if water was tapped. Position and direction of the hole would be set out by the Surveyor. The Manager would then through the Surveyor inform higher management at HQ and the HMI of actions to be taken should there be any potential risks. Of course in this particular instance no one was aware of the water and the Inspector accepted our explanation of the incident. Overlay tracings of the workings in Top Hard had been prepared years before because it was necessary to show workings that were within 40 yards (37m) above and below each seam worked. We had to do a guestimate of the amount of water from levels and contours etc and gate size and voids etc. A pump had to be got to the site as soon as possible but I can’t remember how long it took to remove the water via the fire fighting pipe range or where it went to. However production resumed and the weekly output record was broken w.e. 7th February with 13,944 tons and an OMS of 68.8 cwts. Further records were 14,037 tons w.e. 21st March, and culminating with 14,651 tons 28th March 1970, giving 560,308 tons for year 1969-1970.
Grassmoor Finished Production
Grassmoor (North Derbyshire) finished production in February 1970. There were underground connections to Williamthorpe and Holmewood. All coal production after August 1950 had been raised at Williamthorpe No2.
Maximum manpower had been 3,000 men and boys. In the 1700s, pits on the site had been called Grass Moor and Grass Hill and other shafts lay between Mill Lane and Gill lane. The first pits were 3 shafts sunk by Alfred Barnes at Corbriggs. In the 1870s shafts were sunk to the Blackshale at 450 yards (411.5m) deep. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1928 and a new company was founded with the same name!
Pinxton No2 shaft (Derbyshire) officially abandoned on 6th February 1969 was filled to the surface with stone and capped with concrete on 28th January 1970, 413 yards (378m) deep. Brookhill shaft was filled and capped by 27th February, 417 yards (381m) deep.
Supplement on Salaries
From March 1977 there was a supplement paid on salary at 5% of earnings in the month.
Service related leave was introduced from May 1986....for 35 years, 3 extra days annual leave, 30 years, 2 days and 20 years, 1 day.
Brinsley Shafts Closed For Winding
The shafts at Brinsley (South Nottinghamshire) near Eastwood were finally closed for winding. The twin wooden tandem headstocks of pitch pine 46 ft 5 in (14.15m) high and 125ft 7in (38.3m) long with front pair of legs 16½ in x 15½ in (0.42 x 0.39m) and back pair of legs 14 in x 14 in (0.35 x 0.35m) remained in position.
The shafts at Brinsley (South Nottinghamshire) left open for ventilation and pumping for Moorgreen were finally abandoned. Prior to the abandonment Ron Storer, historian and assistant at Lound Hall Mining Museum and two or three others descended Brinsley shaft to examine the pit bottom for old relics to display in the museum. They found the roadways as they were driven in 1872 and the old stables where the ponies were kept still in good condition. An old wooden sledge, tallow candle and an old spout lamp were discovered behind an old stopping. Shortly after this the wooden tandem headstocks were removed and re-erected at Lound Hall near Bevercotes. The headstocks would be returned to the site at Brinsley after Lound Hall Mining Museum was closed. The photo shows some of the manpower during a strike period.
Some of the manpower during a strike period
There was an explosion16/6/1883 with a prosecution relating to same 26/10/1883.
Award For Faceline Idea
Ken Gray (2905) 38, Surveyor at Annesley (South Nottinghamshire) was awarded £100 for his idea of reflective red tape on 1½” (0.038m) split pins hanging freely off the face chocks and set in a straight line to give immediate notice if the face was out of alignment. The idea or likewise spread to other pits.
Safety Quizzes Introduced
Safety quizzes were introduced throughout the region in an effort to promote safety and reduce accidents. Regional finals were held at Edwinstowe on 19th April 1970.
Creswell produced the highest-ever output of 829,097 tons with 1,144 men in 1969-70. Linby produced its 8th and final 1m tons with a total of 1,054,392 tons and 1,438 men.
Output 1969-1970 10,590,147 tons was produced by 17,469 men in North Derbyshire Area at an OMS of 56.0 cwts, and 11,152,945 tons by 16,916 men in South Nottinghamshire Area at an OMS of 58.6 cwts, and 11,783,756 tons in North Nottinghamshire Area by 18,739 men at an OMS of 58.7 cwts.
Sick Pay Scheme
The Sick Pay Scheme was improved in March 1970, whereby statutory benefits were made up to a proportion of the basic weekly wage.
Regional Pumping Committee Established
In April 1970 a Regional Pumping Committee was established for Nottinghamshire, North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire Areas. Woodside in Derbyshire would continue as a Central Pumping station, because originally pumping at Woodside had been set up to protect Ormonde which also had satellite pumping stations at Bailey Brook, Denby, Ripley, Salterwood and Western collieries. With Ormonde closing in Sep 1970 it was decided to cease pumping at all the satellite pits and allow the water to migrate to Woodside which was at the lowest point of the Shipley basin, where however the water was to be maintained at a level some 200 yards (183m) below the surface to prevent water flowing to Lodge shaft that had a direct connection to Moorgreen mine, still in operation. A further pumping station was established at Blackwell A Winning to control water from the closed Alfreton and Swanwick pits. If allowed to rise the water could overflow and migrate via Blackwell B Winning and New Hucknall to Bentinck. Because the water pumping was protecting pits in South Nottinghamshire the costs were to be allotted to them. Williamthorpe (North Derbyshire) was to close in 1970 also but the shafts were to be left open to monitor the rise in water levels which if allowed to rise too high could put pressure on the old Area barrier to Silverhill in North Nottinghamshire in the Low Main. A Regional Pumping Committee was established to monitor the water problems which were emerging in the Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire Areas and in particular water from Derbyshire pits migrating and affecting the deeper Nottinghamshire pits to the east. Water flowed to Williamthorpe from Avenue, Grassmoor and Holmewood collieries. Morton pumping station received water from Avenue also as well as Parkhouse, Clay Cross and Tibshelf.
Other pumping stations were set up at Morton, St John’s, A Winning, Langton, Bentinck and Williamthorpe.