Banner
Address FT Site Email CCL Info In Memory Menu Philip Individuals Search Webmaster Content Work Fionn Bob
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me

Emails from Scotland
Mining Memorials in Scotland
Jim Henry
Links to Other Scottish Sites



email James

Memorials - Photographs - Page 9

Leadhills

This Monument Dedicated to Mine Manager James Stirling

JB

JB

The Curfew Bell was erected by the Scots Mining Company in 1770 to commemorate mine manager James Stirling in the year of his death.

The bell was an integral part of the mining industry in Leadhills, it was rung to inform the miners of shift changes and to summon the children to school It also warned of accidents in the mines or when people were lost on the hills. Today the bell is used only to ring in the New Year.

James Stirling was a renowned mathematician with a shrewd business sense who joined the Scots Mining Company in 1735. He transformed it from the verge of bankruptcy to one the most profitable enterprises in the country.

While manager at the company he cut the miners hours underground to six daily and vastly improved their working and living conditions. He also encouraged them to build strong stone cottages and to keep gardens. It was during his time here that the Miner's Library was founded, the oldest subscription library in the British Isles.

Wheel

Kirkconnel Polveoch

Polveoch
Looking from Polveoch Terrace to Main Street,  Kirkconnel, Dumfries and Galloway
Mine Head Wheel

Wheel

Fauldhead Colliery Memorial Kirkconnel

The Original Kirkconnel Memorial To the Men Killed in Fauldhead and Sanquhar Collieries

M3

 

Kirk-1

Kirk-M-2


Two Memorials (Above and Below) Were Built and Dedicated as Two Separate Entities

Fa-1

FH5

This plaque is on the ground immediately in front of the central brick "Wall" shown in photo of the original Kirkconnel memorial which is surmounted by the miners head statue. You will see that in the original photo the area in front of the memorial was merely slabbed using stone slabs. The "plaque" is oriented along the axis at right angles to the original memorial wall. This slab must have been added when the Fauldhead Memorial was installed.

F-2

F-3

F4

Wheel

A Frame, Kirkconnel

Kelloholme
Mine A Frame, Auchengour Allotments, Kelloholm, Kirkconnel

Wheel

Kirkconnel Miners Hall

Kelloholme
Kirkconnel Miners Hall
Needle Street,  Kirkconnel, Dumfries and Galloway

Top
Menu