Dalquharran Mine, Dailly, near Girvan, Ayrshire
Owned by Hon T F Kennedy
Photo and information below from Canmore.org.uk
Dalquharran Colliery, South Ayrshire This mine was one of a number driven by the National Coal Board in the late 1940s and early 1950s to give a rapid increase in the output of coal pending the sinking of more economic deep pits. Most had very basic facilities, the coal produced being prepared for sale at existing deep pits. This shows the surface buildings of the mine. The steelwork is an extension of the inclined tunnel (mine) leading down into the workings, and the pulleys at the end carried the cables used to take mine cars to and from the workings. The buildings below the gantry housed lamp-room and offices. Coal from this mine was screened and washed at Killochan Colliery, in facilities there retained after the end of production. Dalquharran and Maxwell collieries, the last in the Girvan Valley coalfield both closed in 1977 and the structures seen here were then demolished.
Photo From Old Brick History At Your Feet
In Memory - A Few Of Those Who Died
- John McMurray, Collier, aged 42, killed by a fall of coal while robeing a pillar contrary to the rules of the colliery, 12 September 1864
- Thomas McClusky, Sinker, aged 44, died after falling off the kettle while being raised in the shaft, 24 August 1868
- James Galloway, Collier, aged 37, killed by a fall of coal, 30 March 1880
- William McIntyre, Miner, injured by a roof fall, 15 July 1887
- James Bryden, Miner, injured by a fall of coal while holing, 02 October 1888
- Matthew McQuilton, Miner, aged 42, killed by a roof fall at stoops, 27 September 1889
- Hugh Bryden, Miner, aged 42, injured by a roof fall at stoops, 27 September 1889
- Robert Forrest, Brigade fireman, aged 45, died while attempting to put out an underground fire, he was overcome by the fumes. Other men who were beside him were hardly affected, 20 October 1899
- John Jones Snr., Miner, injured by a fall of rock, 14 May 1890
- Alexander Harrerty, Drawer, aged 28, killed by a roof fall in working place, 12 September 1900
- Peter Mooney Greig, miner, 12 Penkill Road, Girvan, died at Dalquharran Colliery, Dailly, Ayrshire, when he became entangled in the drum of an underground belt conveyor, 28 April 1977
In memory of the lives lost in the
--------- Dailly Pits ----------
GIRVAN VALLEY COAL FIELD
The nearby Miners Memorial to all those who died and worked at the coal mines at Dailly between 1415 and 1977, was unveiled and dedicated on 21st June 1999.
The Monks of Crossraguel Abbey were authorised by King Robert The Bruce to extract coal in the Girvan Valley and they in turn granted a Charter to Lord Glen Stinchar in 1415 to extract coal for commercial purposes and since that time the coal industry became the lifeline for the Girvan Valley and the Village of Dailly owes it’s existence to coal.
Since coal was first discovered in the valley there have been in the region of 110 pits of various sizes and apart from a few situated at the western end of Bargany Estate, all are to be found on the right bank of the River Girvan between Killochan and Kilkerran Estates.
Out with the main village several mining communities grew up and the largest of these were Kilgrammie and Wallacetown and there were many individual miner’s-cottages situated on the, hillside overlooking the village.
Killochan Pit was sunk on Bargany Estate in 1900 to supersede Meadowmain Colliery which had consisted of eight shafts and a mine. Killochan closed In July 1967 and at that time it employed 153 miners.
Kilgrammie Pit closed in 1907 and probably occupied more surface area than any other pit in the valley. It is best remembered as the work place of John Brown who after being entombed for 23 days was brought out alive but died 3 days later on 3rd November 1835. His grave can be found in Dailly Churchyard.
Romilly Pit opened in 1864 and closed in 1904, it was named after Sophie Romilly, wife of Thomas Kennedy of Dalquharan. A large community grew up around the Romilly including brickworks, several cottages and a two storey building housing several families which was built about fifty yards away from the pit head.
Dalquharran Pit in the mid 1800’s like all others in the area had ceased to employ females underground but boys started work underground at nine years of age. Dalquharran eventually closed in October 1899 following an underground fire.
The Maxwell Colliery was named after Adelaide Louisa Maxwell, wife of Colonel John Kennedy of Dalquharran. It was opened just before 1900 and extended into the old workings of several pits nearby. The Maxwell was noted for it’s dangerous working conditions due to it's steep workings. It was the smallest nationalised colliery in Scotland and eventually closed in August 1973 with the loss of 90 jobs.
Dalquharran Mine was opened in 1951. It was the last National Coal Board colliery to be opened in the Girvan Valley and was the last one to be closed with the loss of 120 jobs. On 28th April 1977 the day before the official closure of the mine, a 44 year old miner, Peter Mooney, from 12 Penkill Road, Girvan was killed, he became entangled in the drum of an underground belt conveyor, the last of the great many over a period of 562 years reflecting the true price of coal.
Daily Community Council wish to thank everyone who gave up their time to help with fund raising for the Miners Memorial Thank you.
David M Hunter. FSA Scot