A LITTLE HISTORY
During the past 112 years three seams have been worked, the Top Hard (215 yards deep), Dunsil (246 yards) and First Waterloo (256 yards).
Production commenced in the Dunsil but these working were abandoned in 1877. A staple shaft had been driven from the Dunsil workings to theTop Hard seam, which was brought into production in 1869 and worked continually until exhausted in 1948, Twin drifts were put down from the Top Hard into the Dunsil and First Waterloo seams between 1918 and 1919. The Dunsil was worked again but abandoned for the second time in 1925. A third drift was put down from the Top Hard into the Dunsil between 1921 and 1922, but no working took place. In 1924 another two drifts were driven between the two seams and the Dunsil was worked again until 1928, then abandoned. Between 1935-36 the Dunsil workings which were abandoned in 1925 were reopened and worked continually until 1968 when exhaustion of coal forced the final closure of the seam. In the meantime the First Waterloo seam had been opened by driving cross measure drifts from the Dunsil and commenced production in 1957, The last face worked in this seam - 35's - was also the last to be worked at the colliery.
Managers Since Nationalisation
- 1947-51 - Mr. J.P. Metiers
- 1951-53 - Mr. J.A. Wright
- 1953-60 - Mr. H.O. Gubbins
- 1960-80 - Mr. G. Noble
Mechanised cutting of coal was introduced well before the industry was nationalised in 1947. This system of undercutting the coal and then hand filling it onto and top loading conveyor running along a face was the method of coal winning used well into the 1950's. The first fully mechanised face to include power loading was the first face to start production in the First Waterloo in 1957. Mechanisation of faces continued in this seam although workings in the Dunsil were always hand-filled. Conveyors to carry coal along the trunk roads to the pit bottom, where it was loaded into tubs for surfacing were introduced in the early 1950's. The last pony to work at the colliery retired in 1973, several years after ponies had ceased to work underground.
Teversal has always been a profitable mine and in recent years has been producing about 300,000 tonnes per annum for the housecoal, manufactured fuel and industrial markets, by far the greater part going to power stations. This profitability could only have been achieved through the close co-operation of everyone employed at what was a "family" pit.
Teversal Colliery was known locally by the name of Butcherwood.
The adjacent plan is an old one showing the area before Teversal Colliery shafts were sank; you will note a small wooded area on the plan named Butcherwood; this was to become the site of Teversal Colliery.
The whole area has been landscaped, planted with trees and is now named Silverhill Woods. I am of the opinion that the old name for the original wood should have been used; if not for the whole area, then for the woods covering the curtalidge of the old Teversal Colliery.
Also shown on this plan is the Engine Pit Level, also known as the New Inn Level. This is an old drainage sough driven to drain water from the mines in the local area; the small circles show the position of the shafts sunk for access to the sough as work progressed.
Water is still drained from this level and exits into the pond behind Hardwick Inn, (Previously called The New Inn)
||The adjacent plan shows the last coal face (150s) to be worked in the Dunsil seam in relation to the surface.
The old railway line that passed between Teversal and Silverhill lay directly above the face as it passed beneath in 1967.
Early in 1968 as the coal face advanced beneath the old colliery spoil heap, subsidence caused the spoil heap to slip and partially block the railway line.
The old railway line is now a pleasant pathway that leads from old Silverhill Colliery to the two ponds that are situated at the old Teversal Colliery site.