Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Decline Of The Industry
And Nationalisation 1947

Bk
Chimney
1934
1936

1934 - Page 2


Clay Cross No2 Colliery Closed After 84 Years

Clay Cross No 2 pit (Derbyshire) was closed in May 1934, having been sunk in 1850, but the shaft was kept open for ventilation and as an emergency exit for Park House No7 pit (Clay Cross Co) and is listed under that. No4 pit was merged in 1920 and closed on 16 Nov 1929. The winding engine was built by William Howe in 1865 and installed by A Handyside of Derby. It was rated at 200hp with a drum of 15 feet (4.57m) dia, 5 feet (1.52m) stroke with 30 inch (0.76m) bore. 2 tons of coal could be raised from 385 yards (352m) in 35 seconds, equivalent to 1,568 feet (477.92m) per minute.

Manpower:

  • 1894: 239 Tupton, Silkstone 233 s/f share with No3 pit
  • 1900: 324 Tupton, Silkstone, 163 s/f
  • 1906: 193 Deep Hard, Tupton, 219 s/f
  • 1911: 303 Tupton, Silkstone, 41 s/f
  • 1919: 294 T, 77 s/f
  • 1921: 436 Tupton and Tupton Threequarter, 80 s/f
  • 1926: 337 T, T3/4, 83 s/f
  • 1927: 355 T and T3/4, 83 s/f
  • 1928: 347 T and T3/4, 82 s/f
  • 1929: 329 T and T3/4, 82 s/f
  • 1930: 389 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters, Blackshale opened, 45 s/f
  • 1931: 375 T, T ¾, BS, 81 s/f
  • 1932: 387 T, T ¾, BS fin, 88 s/f
  • 1933: 345 T, T ¾, 89 s/f
  • 1934: 335 T, T ¾, 86 s/f discontinued May 1934

Agents:

  • John Jackson pre 1884-
  • SC Haigh (80) 1920
  • G Nicholson 1920-1922
  • EL Ford (3984) 1923-1927
  • SC Haigh (80) 1927-1931
  • George William Dickinson (255) 1932-1933
  • AM Mitton 1933-1934

Managers:

  • Thos D Croudace for all Clay Cross Co pits and No2 - 1888
  • William BM Jackson (2374) 1888-1898
  • George Wharton (420) 1898-1900 (transferred to Avenue No9)
  • FA Blackburne (579) 1900-1904
  • George Wharton (420) for all pits 1905-1906
  • George W Dickinson (255) 1906-1910
  • George Nicholson (3064) 1910-1914
  • George W Dickinson (255) for all 1914-1916
  • EL Ford (3984) 1917-1919
  • SC Haigh (80) 1919-1932
  • William Marsh (1657) 1932-1934 (transferred to Bonds Main)

Undermanagers:

  • George Parker pre 1887-1889
  • William Bloor (1097) and (725) 1889-1905
  • John T Butler (4106) 1906-1911
  • A Hunter (679)1912-1913
  • John H Clarke (2283 / 2) 1913-1927
  • Jos Ridgeway (2069 / 2) 1927-1928
  • A Sharman (2847 / 2) 1929-1934

Ringrose Gas Detector

Trials were made at Markham colliery (Derbyshire) (Staveley Coal and Iron Co) with the Ringrose lamp gas detector. This was a rather large cumbersome hand held battery for carrying and was then hung up at strategic positions, mainly along a face line and should methane gas be present, above 1¼% a red light on top of the battery flashed continually warning the men so they could take action.

The Coal Mines General Regulations (Lighting) 1934 came into force on 1st June. Explosives in Mines Order 1934 came into force also.


Explosions at Bilsthorpe

There was an explosion at Bilsthorpe (Nottinghamshire) in the Top Hard seam on 26th July 1934. It was caused by shotfiring in the gate igniting firedamp in the first waste on North West 6s district LH benk. A second explosion occurred 3 hours later. A total of 10 stoppings were put on to seal off the district and there were 13 explosions in total. 14 men were killed and a further 8 injured. Several rescue personnel engaged in working at the stopping sites were overcome by carbon monoxide gas and working times at the site were reduced to around 20 minute periods. Rescue personnel from Mansfield Rescue station and Chesterfield Rescue station attended the scene and men were sent from other collieries to assist, one member being Joe Morley a future Undermanager at Silver Hill and another Jim Davies an Overman at Bilsthorpe and future Undermanager at Teversal (all Stanton Ironworks pits).

2 members of the Chesterfield Mines Rescue Brigade died from burns and 3 others were seriously injured.


Coke Ovens

There were 170 coke ovens at Hartington and Ireland, with 60 at Norwood, 75 at Heath, 40 at Blackwell A Winning, 91 at East Beighton and 50 at Waleswood just over the border into Yorks. At Holmewood more modern coke ovens were opened. The Hardwick Co appointed Harry Watson Smith as Managing Director in 1935. The wooden headgear at Holmewood was replaced by steel.


Workmens' Pit Inspectors Appointed

Workmens Pit Inspectors began to be appointed from September 1934. These men would tour the various parts of the pit on regular visits and report back to the Manager in writing regarding abnormalities etc. A copy of the report would be sent to the Mines Inspector for the district.


Collieries Opened or Sunk in 1934

  • Brierley Wood (Arthur Barlow) (429) Surveyor, Ashgate seam, magnetic meridian for correlation Feb 1934, Footrill, pumping shaft and air shaft
  • Tupton mine (Geo Wilson) Piper, adits.

Collieries Closed in 1934

  • Birchwood Vale (A Kay), Ridgeway, Silkstone, coal 1’ 6” (0.45m), tinkers 9” (0.23m), coal 1’ 8” (0.51m), 2/nil, 2 areas worked, fin 10th Aug, 2 adits driven at 1in4 dip 1932, fin Aug 1934, and an earlier adit Dec 1924, fin 1926, 6 adits total, and the tramway to Ford Lane screens used for several years was still in use. Old ‘skelper wheel’ near the dam. Surveyor Arthur D Marriott (918)
  • Blue Clay (C Purdy), Unstone, Ashgate, bats 9” (0.23m), coal 1’ 4” (0.40m), bats 6” (0.15m), 2 separate areas, adit and air pit 10 feet (3m) deep, Surveyor Arthur D Marriott (918)
  • Clay Cross No2 (Clay Cross Colliery Co Ltd) Clay Cross, Blackshale, Tupton and Tupton Threequarters discontinued
  • Dobholme (J and J Slack) Troway, Mickley discontinued Dec 1934
  • Grassmoor No2 Deep Soft or Dunston at 268 yards (245m), 31 Dec 1934, Surveyor HD Randall 18 Jan 1935
  • Horsely (….?) seam ?
  • Hutchcliff Wood (Pickford, Holland and Co Ltd) situated by River Sheaf near Millhouses. LMS access. Coal 2’ 3” (0.70m) and Ganister 3’ 0” (0.91m) and fireclay, 2 adits and 1 shaft 5’ 6” (1.67m) dia, 62 feet (18.9m) deep sunk through old workings, extensive headings then robbed pillars on retreat. Start 1919-1920, fin 3rd Aug 1934, Surveyor BR Russell (909)
  • Octavia (Joseph E Whitchurch) (Nottinghamshire), sunk 1930, Piper 31st Dec 1934, Room and pillar, 6 shafts from 28’ 0” (8.5m) to 49’ 0” (15m) deep, met old works, Surveyor PR Smith (cert)
  • Peacock, Low Main
  • Old Swadlincote No1 UC 268 yds 2’ 5” (245.8m), No3 DC 78 yds 1’ 3” (71.7m) to Little, No2 DC 268 yds 2’ 5” (245.8m) Little seam 4’ 3” (1.30m) plus 1’ 3 (0.38m) potclay, worked into Gresley Wood old works, 2 shafts – no depths, worked up to old Darklands pit (sunk to Stanhope seam, found one old shaft 9 ft (2.74m) dia, 21 Feb 1934, Surveyor Arthur A Hook (63)
  • Styrrup Farm, (Styrrup Coal Co) Chisworth, Yard, 2/1 Mar; Upper Hartshay (Butterley Co Ltd Ironville), Ripley, Mickley 2’ 6” (0.76m), 156/61, 16th Oct 1934 restriction due to quota, closed after 30 years, Chief Surveyor Ernest Severn Lamb (839)
  • Wingerworth Park (E Smith), Wingerworth, 2/1, Blackshale top coal 2’ 0” (0.61m), tinker 8” (0.20m), dirt 2” (0.05m), bottom coal 2’ 2” (0.66m), fireclay, fin 31st May, abandoned July 1934, the lessor refused to extend the lease, Surveyor: Arthur D Marriott (918).
  • Brinsley (Barber Walker and Co Ltd, Eastwood Collieries) Deep Soft 3’ 3” (1.0m) abandoned 25 Apr 1934, but had finished working 31 Jul 1932, Surveyor George Chas W Whitelock
  • Plumbley Lane (JW Bishop Co) abandoned ? Surveyor: Ernest H Clarke (1774) 11th August 1934. Later he would be the Abandoned mine plans officer.
  • Bagot Mine (Geo Hartley), West Hallam. Piper seam abandoned Aug 1934.
    The Surveyor died shortly after making the last quarterly survey and the Owner completed the plan to be deposited at the Mines Records office, via the HM Inspector.
  • Bretby Main (Nether) 8’ 6” (0.91m), pot clay 3’ 6” (1.07m) finished 9 Oct 1934, Over coal 7’ 6” (2.29m), pot clay 3’ 6” (1.07m) fin 27 Nov 1933, Surveyor Arthur A Hook (63), No1 and No2 pits depths not known, No3 shaft 143 yards 1 ft 4½ in (133m) deep, 29 yards 1 ft (26.8m) to Main coal inset. There were 3 other shafts in the vicinity, again with unknown depths.
  • Old Swadlincote Little seam coal 4’ 11” (1.50m) and 1’ 3” (0.38m) pot clay, abandoned 21 Feb 1934, part leased by Moira Colliery Co and worked from Gresley, Surveyor Arthur A Hook
    (63 Pits).

In South Derbyshire from the 1930s-1950s coal sellers were called ‘hagglers’ whereas in the early days were called ‘higglers’. However this term would persist in certain parts for many years.


Upper Hartshay Colliery Closed After 29 Years

Upper Hartshay (Derbyshire) (Butterley Co Ltd) was closed in 1934.
Seams worked: Tupton 1905-1923
Silkstone 1919-1928
Kilburn 1905-1932
Ashgate 2’ 0” (0.61m) and Mickley at 2’ 6” (0.76m) thick 1931- abandoned 16 Sep 1934, to concentrate workings at other pits.

Hartshay Colliery name changed to Lower Hartshay from 1913 to differentiate between the two pits.

A Training Centre was set up in the late 1940s. Sulzer pumps underground raised 1,700 gallons per minute,

Manpower:

  • 1903: 49 sinking, 29 s/f
  • 1904: 57 sinking, 29 s/f
  • 1905: 47 Tupton, Kilburn, 20 s/f
  • 1907: 194 T, K, 67 s/f
  • 1908: 302 T, K, 124 s/f
  • 1911: 122 Tupton, 41 s/f and 264 Kilburn, 76 s/f
  • 1912: 183 T, 43 s/f, 287 K, 70 s/f
  • 1913: 462 T, K, 150 s/f
  • 1914: 151 T, 270 K, 119 s/f
  • 1915: 192 T, 290 K, 135 s/f
  • 1916: 178 T, 318 K, 159 s/f
  • 1918: 163 T, 340 K, 183 s/f
  • 1919: 196 Tupton, Silkstone, 340 Kilburn, 211 s/f
  • 1920: 236 T, S, 356 K, 208 s/f
  • 1923: 610 Tupton (to Low Main), S, K, 211 s/f
  • 1925: Silkstone, Kilburn, 614, 196 s/f
  • 1928: 340 Silkstone, K, 123 s/f
  • 1929: 343 Kilburn, 123 s/f
  • 1931: 336 Kilburn, Mickley, 117 s/f
  • 1932: 61 Kilburn, Mickley, 35 s/f
  • 1933: 133 Mickley, 61 s/f
  • 1934: 156 Mickley, 61 s/f, abandoned October 1934.

Agents:

  • Henry Eustace Mitton 1905-1919
  • Jack Bircumshaw 1919-1934.

Managers for Hartshay:

  • Sam Allsop (418) 1903-1910
  • CP Proctor (1872) 1911-1927
  • George H Riley (4014) 1927-1931
  • W Stan Fletcher (2349) 1931-1934 (transferred to Ollerton)
  • Hubert Hyde (2411) 1934 (transferred to Low Moor (Kirkby).

Undermanagers:

  • AA Peake (2508) 1904-1906
  • John Walker (3883) 1906-1920
  • Frederick Rodgers (5104 / 2nd) 1911-1929
  • FB Lawson (136) 1920-1921
  • Leslie C Ellson (124) 1921-1924
  • W Stan Fletcher (2349) 1929-1931 (promoted to Manager).

Surveyor:

  • Ernest Severn Lamb (839).

Fatal Accidents

  • Sam Adams (33) fall of coal 23 Mar 1908, died 29 Mar 1908
  • Richard Flint (37) fall in a roadway 8 Mar 1910
  • Herbert Maycock (25) fall of coal 16 Oct 1910, died 21 Jan 1911
  • Thomas Lambert (41) fall of roof 7 Feb 1911
  • George Blood (33) fall of roof 27 Jan 1912
  • James Wass (22) fall of roof 5 Jan 1923
  • James Key (41) fall of roof 19 Nov 1924.

Old collieries closed previously in the Wingerworth area were:

  • Wingerworth
  • Hunloke
  • Avenue 9
  • Avenue 11
  • Hockley.

And old collieries closed previously in the Tupton area included:

  • Tupton
  • Woodthorpe
  • Sough
  • Beresford Moor
  • Wingerworth Furnace.

There were dozens of other old shafts surrounding these including many ironstone mines.


Old Shaft Collapsed

The shaft at old Clay Cross No3 collapsed in 1934 and was filled in. It was sunk in 1850 and had been abandoned in 1910 (Clay Cross Colliery Co Ltd) but like many shafts of that era was not fully protected and most probably just had a few posts and barbed wire round the shaft.

 


Old Collieries

Old collieries closed previously in the Clay Cross area included: -
Kilburn, Jacks, Clay Cross No1, Clay Cross No2, Clay Cross No3, Stretton, Cliff, Alma, Alma Cannel, Newmarket, New Market, Elm Tree, Cannel, Clay Host Lane, Henmore, Clay Lane, Nibble and Clink, Thomas Elliotts, Newmarket Cumberland, Newmarket Silkstone, Timberland, Tupton, Clay Lane, Clay Lane, Saw, Stretton, Toll House, Turnpike, Lees, Furnace Hill, Gents Hill, Flaxpiece (Clay Cross No 8) and Danesmoor.
There were over 100 shafts, some bell pits and about a dozen adits in the area. Again, some of the pits have no information and some are not listed.


Bretby

At Bretby (Hall’s Collieries Ltd) the Main or Nether seam was exhausted in October 1934, mainly pillar and stall working.


Eustace Mitton Stood in as Holmewood Manager

The Manager at Holmewood Fred Chambers was so ill that he had to relinquish his position and Eustace Mitton of the Butterley Co and a Director on the Hardwick Colliery Co Board took over for about a year before Harry Watson Smith was appointed as Manager. He began as he meant to carry on. The pits at Holmewood and Williamthorpe were in a poor state and it was seen necessary to spend money to improve matters or the company could collapsw along with the pits. Underground operations were very poor and all coal getting was hand got and loaded into 8 cwt wooden tubs. On the surface things were not much better and steel work on the screens needed replacing as it was rusting away.


Fatal Accidents 1934

  • Blackwell, James Dickman (?) fall of roof 25 May 1934, died 26 May 1934
  • Britain, Vincent K Fletcher (25) fall of roof 13 Sep 1933, died 5 May 1934
  • Brookhill, John Caleb Ford (44) fall of roof 13 Apr 1934, died 18 Apr 1934
  • Brookhill, Joseph F Fletcher (51) fall of roof 4 May 1934
  • Coppice, William Keightley (24) fall of roof 17 Aug 1934, died 88 Aug 1934
  • Creswell, Charles J Coalwood (31) fall of roof 16 May 1934
  • Langwith, Reginald Skinner (23) fall of roof 6 May 1934
  • Pleasley, Stephen Whiten (15) fall in a roadway 15 Jul 1934
  • Shipley, Albert Dilks (52) fall of roof 13 Jul 1934, died 18 Jul 1934
  • Shipley, Wilfred Beardsley (23) crushed by tubs 11 Jul 1934, died 18 Aug 1934
  • Shirebrook, Thomas H Shepherd (47) fall of roof on 8 May 1934, died 9 May 1934
  • South Normanton, Sam Marriott (64) fell down shaft 29 Jun 1934.

Output For 1934
Nottinghamshire pits 13.2m tons,
North Derbyshire
pits 11.1m tons and
South Derbyshire pits 1.273m tons
Leicestershire 1.7m tons. (By comparison Yorkshire produced 40.9m tons).

 

left 1

 

1935
Menu

Pit Terminology - Glossary