Of all Nottinghamshire's collieries none has been more closely associated with the development of a major town than Hucknall, the first of a chain of important mines to be constructed in the Leen Valley proper.
The town grew from a village of about 660 houses and 2,800 inhabitants as a result of the coming of the coal industry, first represented by Hucknall No. 1 and No. 2 Collieries.
Both pits were sunk by the Hucknall Colliery Company whose partners were Alfred Ellis, Edward Shipley Ellis, William Paget and William Walker.
Hucknall No. 1 - 1959 used for ventilation for
Hucknal No2 and Babbington Colliery
Hucknall No. 2 - 1957 Headgears, winding house and steam raising plant
No.1 pit - which ceased winding coal in 1943, was in Watnall Road. Two shafts were sunk to the Top Hard Seam horizon in 186112 and between then and 1943 the Top Hard, Main Bright and High Main Seams were worked. From 1943 coal winding was transferred to No. 2 Colliery sited in Portland Road.
No.1 continued to be used for ventilation, manriding and materials until about 1960 when all activities were transferred to No. 2 Colliery.
No.2 pit - Two shafts were sunk in 1865/6 to the Top Hard, one of them being deepened to the Deep Hard in 1889. By 1920 all the Top Hard was worked out. An area of Deep Soft was worked via drifts from the Top Hard pit bottom between 1913 and 1930.
Unfortunately, in July 1986 a massive sandstone intrusion appeared on K33's coalface in the Blackshale seam. This eventually stopped the face and finally prompted a management decision, accepted by the mineworkers in ballots organised by their trade unions, to cease production on the grounds that there was no prospect of economically recovering the remaining Blackshale reserves.
Hucknall Colliery 1958
New Hucknall Colliey, Huthwaite. The enormous spoil tips nearby gave off sulphurous fumes and lit up the night sky. The pit, sunk in 1876, was a gassy mine and in 1983 up to 100 million litres of pure methane were drawn off each week.
The area is now a golf course.