The Derbyshire Times, Fri 29 Sept 1950
Thanks to Ian Gilbert for this information
History of The Colliery
History Of The Colliery The Bolsover Colliery Co., who owned Creswell Colliery prior to nationalization, came into being in 1889 when the late Mr. Emerson Bainbridge obtained from the Duke of Portland a lease of the Top Hard seam situated within the parishes of Bolsover and Elmton in Derbyshire, and the parishes of Cuckney, Woodhouse Hall, Nether Langwith and Norton in Nottingham. Bolsover and Creswell Collieries were sunk and equipped, and subsequently the Company sank and developed in Nottinghamshire, Mansfield, Rufford, Clipstone and Thorseby Collieries.
Creswell Colliery was laid out and developed on similar lines to Bolsover, and a daily output of over 3.800 tons was attained. Throughout its history Bolsover Colliery followed a progressive policy, and at Creswell, as else where, underground and surface equipment was installed in conformity with most modern practice. The Company was one of the earliest to appreciate the benefits to be obtained from the establishment of a separate department dealing entirely with safety measures. First aid and medical services were organized on the most modern lines. Creswell, as were the other Collieries, was equipped with modern cleaning, screening and grading plants.
Attention was paid to hygienic housing conditions and social amenities. Creswell Colliery, with a weekly output of about 14,000 tons, is regarded as one of the most efficient pits in the East Midlands Division. It has attained prominence, not only by reason of the good team spirit among the men, but also because of its social activities. It is well known in the field of sport and the Creswell Band is one of this country's leading brass bands and has broadcast several times. The colliery came into No. 1 Areas from No. 2 on the partition of the latter on July 1st 1949.