Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Decline Of The Industry Continued
After Nationalisation 1947

Chimneys

1961
1963
1965

1963   1    2    3    4 

1963 - Page 2


Cotes Park Closed After 113 Years

In May 1963 Cotes Park colliery (Derbyshire) sunk in 1850 to 155 yards (142m) by J Oakes and Co was closed after 113 years. Shaft positions: SK45NW, No1 shaft 442595, 355040, No2 shaft 442614, 355013. Depth 465 ft (141.7m) to Hard coal; other shaft 284 yards (260m) deep. Locally the pit was known as ‘Coachie’. The pit was situated south east of the town of Alfreton. Theoretically the manpower was to be shared amongst other nearby pits Cotes Park pit 1947where the lost tonnage would be achieved or even improved upon. The idea never did materialise to its full extent, and manpower at pits in general began to fall.

The NCB had inherited a seller’s market in 1947, which only began to change after 1957, losing markets when oil from the Middle East became cheaper.

In 1956 the output at Cotes Park reached 241,043 tons and the maximum manpower was 445 in 1958. On closure the manpower had fallen to 210. It tended to be a training colliery for Managers and Surveyors as most only stayed there for a couple of years before moving on to a larger colliery. Water was constantly dripping from the roof and was collected by a series of pumps to the pit bottom. Pit ponies transferred from Newstead and neighbouring Swanwick arrived as small dumpy well fed animals but after a few months of struggle up the 1in8 grades were reduced to ‘skin and bone’. (quote Charles J Whyte, ex Surveyor). 90% of the output was sent to Battersea Power station in the 1950s.

Seams worked in the past were

  • Deep Soft 3’ 8” (1.12m) 1857-30th June 1862 (Coates Park pre 1894-
  • Deep Hard at 127 yards (116m) deep c1857-1903
  • Tupton (Low Main) 1899-1941
  • Yard 3’ 1” (0.94m) 1915-1932 and 1936-31/7/1963
  • Silkstone (Blackshale) at 284 yards (260m) 1899 -1945 and 1962
  • (Tupton) Threequarters 1916-Sep 1931 and re-opened Apr 1940- Feb 1943 and 1962.

Manpower: Jas Oakes and Co

  • 1946: Coates Park: 1884: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1885: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1886: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • Cotes Park: 1887: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1888: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1889: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1890: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1891: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1892: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1893: Deep Soft, Deep Hard
  • 1894: No1 and No2: 243 Deep Soft and Deep Hard, 57 s/f, total 300 men
  • 1895: 236 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 65 s/f, 301 men
  • 1896: 256 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 54 s/f
  • 1897: 224 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 56 s/f
  • 1898: 224 No1 Deep Soft, No2 DH, 68 s/f, No3 34 sinking, 8 s/f
  • 1899: No1, No2, 232 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 64 s/f, No3 65 Tupton, Silkstone, 12 s/f
  • 1900: No1, No2, No3, 164 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 50 s/f, 182 Tupton, 52 s/f, total 448 men
  • 1901: 174 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 40 s/f, 256 Tupton, Silkstone, 76 s/f
  • 1902: 140 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 34 s/f, 355 Tupton, Silkstone, 89 s/f
  • 1903: No1 63 Deep Soft, 12 s/f, No2 and No3 362 Tupton, Silkstone, 94 s/f, 531 men
  • 1904: No1 closed. No2 and No3 398 T, S, 85 s/f
  • 1905: No2 and No3 407 Tupton, Silkstone, 72 s/f, 479 men
  • 1906:366 Tupton, Silkstone, 69 s/f
  • 1907: 379 Tupton, Silkstone, 81 s/f
  • 1908: 389 Tupton, Silkstone, 92 s/f
  • 1909: 412 Tupton, Silkstone, 85 s/f
  • 1910: …
  • 1911: 417 Tupton, Silkstone, 103 s/f, 520 men
  • 1912: 406 Tupton, Silkstone, 95 s/f
  • 1913: 424 Tupton, Silkstone, 89 s/f, 513 men
  • 1914: 425 Tupton, Silkstone, 97 s/f
  • 1915: 399 Tupton, Yard, Silkstone, s/f 98, total 497 men
  • 1916: 413 T, Tupton Threequarters, Yard, Silkstone, 100 s/f
  • 1917: 415 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters ¾ s, Yard, Silkstone, 94 s/f
  • 1918: 370 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters ¾ s, Yard, Silkstone, 111 s/f
  • 1919: 403 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters ¾, Yard, Silkstone, 106 s/f
  • 1920: 400 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters, Yard, Silkstone, 103 s/f, 503 men
  • 1921: 403 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters ¾, Yard, Silkstone, 116 s/f
  • 1922: 380 Tupton, Tupton Threequarters ¾, Yard, Silkstone, 102 s/f, 491 men
  • 1923: No2: 361 Low Main (Tupton), Three-Quarter, No3: LM, Yard, Blackshale (Silkstone), 110 s/f
  • 1924: 376 Low Main, Threequarter, Yard, Blackshale, 96 s/f
  • 1925: Jas Oakes and Co (Riddings Collieries) Ltd: 366 LM, ¾, Y, BS, 79 s/f, 445 men
  • 1926: 272 LM, ¾, Yard, BS, 51 s/f, 323 men
  • 1927: 334 LM, ¾, Yard, BS, 63 s/f, 397 men
  • 1928: 359 LM, ¾, Yard, BS, 73 s/f, 432 men
  • 1929: 380 LM, ¾, Yard, BS, 75 s/f, 455 men
  • 1930: 384 Low Main, Threequarters, Yard, Blackshale, 79 s/f, 463 men
  • 1931: 214 Low Main, Threequarters finished, Yard, Blackshale, 57 s/f
  • 1932: 224 LM, Yard finished, BS, 52 s/f
  • 1933: 210 Low Main, Blackshale, s/f 56, 266 men
  • 1934: 214 LM, BS, 57 s/f
  • 1935: 210 LM, BS, 62 s/f, 272 men
  • 1936: 232 LM, Yard, BS, 67 s/f
  • 1937: 247 LM, Yard, BS, 79 s/f
  • 1938: 230 LM, Yard, BS, 85 s/f
  • 1939: …
  • 1940: 239 Low Main, Threequarters, Yard, Blackshale, s/f 85, total 324 men
  • 1941: 216 LM finished, ¾, Yard, BS, 83 s/f
  • 1942: 214 ¾, Yard, BS, 74 s/f
  • 1943: 192, ¾ finished, Y, BS, 61 s/f
  • 1944: 175 Yard, BS, 55 s/f
  • 1945: 162 Yard, Blackshale, s/f 48, total 210 men

Tonnage and Manpower NCB: No4 Area EMD:

  • 1947: 74,178 tons, 227 men
  • 1948: Yard, 98,129 tons, 304 men
  • 1949: 111,203 tons, 326 men
  • 1950: Cotes Park (formerly No2 and No3): 141,625 tons, 350 men
  • 1951: 208,459 tons, 370 men
  • 1952: 221,734 tons, 370 men
  • 1953: 214,814 tons, 398 men
  • 1954: 221,218 tons, 395 men
  • 1955: 212,265 tons, 397 men
  • 1956: 241,043 tons (max), 332 u/g, 66 s/f, 398/417 men
  • 1957: 219,071 tons, 436 men
  • 1958: 201,767 tons, 445 men
  • 1959: 186,587 tons, 439 men
  • 1960: 175,755 tons, 432 men
  • 1961: 173,479 tons, 426 men
  • 1962: 164,233 tons, 423 men
  • 1963: 47,987 tons, 336 Yard, 84 s/f, 420/210 men
  • 1963/64: 8,406 tons, 108 men
  • 1963: 42,000 tons, 305 men ¾, Yard.
  • Colliery closed May 1963.

The mine was surrounded by old pits: Swanwick, Whites Lane to the west, Skellingthorpe, Heighington, Victoria, Balguy, Shady and Cloddy pit to the south, Lower Birchwood, Rope and Chain, Sleights to the east, Carnfield and Alfreton to the north. One plan refers to Riddings Colliery Cotes Park pit (James Oakes and Co) working Deep Soft seam to 25th Mar 1904.

Cotes Park Heighington pit plan shows main horse roads and Hard coal benk faces 1853-Jan 1868. New Birchwood Victoria pit SW of Penny Town shows Hard coal to Lady Day 1860. (John) Bulguy pit and Skellingthorpe Soft coal pit (C Seely) to July 1867. Birchwood colliery (Humphrey Goodwin) 1830 – Lady Day 1847, worked Hard coal and Soft coal. Birchwood Lane colliery met old works to SW, old pit sunk 1821. Other old works met and left off Nov 1863 – water? Heading in Hard coal by Shooter and Co, W by NW from Victoria pit and Clarke and Co, SW towards an old Gin pit. Shady pit lay due S of Balguy, and all works finished in Hard coal 13th Apr 1849. John Henry Barker, Landowner of Cotes Park Estate, later Barker pit named after him, worked Deep Soft to Lady Day 1879.

Agents:

  • George W Laverick pre 1883-1886
  • Charles Henry Oakes Agent 1886-1928
  • JO Ranger Agent 1929-1930
  • WG Ball (1095) Agent 1933-1946
  • F Donald Severn Agent (977) 1947-1952.

Sub-Area Managers:

  • F Donald Severn (977) 1947-1952
  • Alex L Middleton (3342) Sub-Area Manager 1952-1955
  • Humphrey F Watson (4986) Group Manager 1955-1963
  • Les R Watkin (4376) 1961-1963.

Managers for Coates Park:

  • George W Laverick Agent and Manager pre 1883-1886 also for Stonyford and Old Deeps
  • Charles Henry Oakes Manager 1886-1888 for Coates Park only
  • George W Laverick Agent, Cotes Park 1887-1888
  • John Henry W Laverick (2354) 1888-1903
  • Ben McLaren (1789) 1904-1924
  • WG Ball (1095) 1924-1930 then Agent and Manager 1930-1933
  • E Searson (2104) 1933-1946
  • Peter L Harley (2649) 1947-1950 (also for South Normanton), promoted to Manager Kirkby
  • Jimmy A Wright (3926) 1950-1952 (promoted from Undermanager Pye Hill 1946, previously Assistant Manager for James Oakes’s pits at Selston, Pye Hill and Cotes Park, then South Normanton / Cotes Park, transferred to Manager Teversal, eventually Deputy Director South Nottinghamshire Area)
  • Jack W Smalley (3722) 1952-1953 (transferred to Wingfield Manor)
  • Les R Watkin (4376) 1953-1956 (transferred from Planning dept No4 HQ, promoted from Pleasley, promoted to Group Manager)
  • Eric G Sellars (3000) 1957 (promoted from Newstead, transferred to Manager Alfreton)
  • George K Noble (5852) 1957-1960 (promoted from Undermanager Kirkby, transferred to Manager Teversal)
  • Charlie H Glasby (5672) 1960-1962 (promoted from Deputy Manager Kirkby, transferred to Manager Silverhill)
  • Edward (Teddy) E Bishop (5396) 1962-1963 (promoted from Undermanager Ollerton, transferred to Manager Brookhill, Newstead and later Production Manager South Nottinghamshire)
  • Bernard Smalley (3406 - 2nd ) Acting Manager, Dec 1963
  • Tommy H Jameson (2141) – Apr 1964.

Undermanagers for Cotes Park: John Naylor (726 service cert) pre 1887-1897

  • Alf Naylor (657) 1897- for Nos 1,2,3 1898-1901
  • J Searston (1757 / 1) 1901-04
  • No2, No3 T Barker (3866 / 2nd) 1904-1909 and 1912-1925
  • E Lee (4770 / 2nd) 1909-1911T Barber (3866 / 2) 1912-1925
  • WE Fisher (451 / 2nd) 1925-1932
  • J Parnham (1937 / 2nd) 1932-1946 and Bernard Smalley (3406 / 2nd) 1947-1963.

Surveyors included:…

  • Charles Robertson in 1868
  • …JG Lander 1920s-1940s
  • …Charles J Whyte (2678) (promoted from South Normanton upon qualifying Feb 1953, on Grade 5 Mining Surveyors’ Agreement. The survey office was based at the old pit at Swanwick. He was transferred to Annesley 1st Nov 1954, then Calverton, No6 Area HQ Bestwood, later Assistant Area Surveyor No6 Area Mar 1967, Area Surveyor North Nottinghamshire 7th Aug 1974)
  • Cheslaw Stasiewicz (3030) (Polish) (promoted from Annesley / Newstead, transferred to Kirkby, later Teversal) 1954-1956
  • Bernard T Bailey (2728) 1957-1959, (promoted from Alfreton, transferred to Teversal, later Civil Engineer Tips, North Nottinghamshire Area, committed suicide)
  • John M Reeve (3080) 1959-Apr 1964 (redundant, transferred to No4 Area Planning department at closure. I was interviewed for that job but was unsuccessful).

Fatal Accidents Cotes Park: William Hind (?) explosion of firedamp 15/3/1852

  • James Taylor (boy) explosion of firedamp 26/11/1852
  • Francis Mycroft (?) fell down the shaft 7/1/1854
  • Anthony Dawes (?) explosion of firedamp 29/9/1855
  • J Wood (35) fall of roof 7/2/1860
  • John Cook (33) fall of roof 25/2/1869
  • Wright Walker (21) fall of roof 12/10/1869
  • William Peach (43) fall in a roadway 30/8/1886
  • Ernest Holmes (37) fall of roof 5/5/1891, died 6/5/1891
  • Paul Horton (16) caught in machinery on the surface 16/6/1910
  • Abraham Gascoigne (29) fall of roof 30/1/1915
  • John Thomas Haslam (57) fall of roof 8/6/1915
  • Thomas Wall (47) fall of roof 14/11/1917, died 18/11/1917
  • George Waite (49) fall of roof 7/1/1930
  • Samuel Dooler (36) fall of roof 14/1/1932, died 16/1/1932
  • Thomas George Knowles (35) caught in machinery 1/12/1941
  • Kenneth Charles Warwick (27) fall of roof 19/8/1953
  • Wilfred Holmes (59) caught in machinery on the surface 30/4/1957.

Powered supports set across road heads. A road head support (Gullick Dobson) installed at Measham.


At Bentinck a reconstruction team headed by Jack Frith Ex-production Manager wth Ray Greasley as Planner, contractors were Cementation Co. Ltd. and some Hungarians were employed in the Bentinck 1 in 4.2 Surface Drift.

Last Pit In North West Derbyshire Closed

The last pit in the Whaley Bridge area, (North West Derbyshire), Furness Clough, sunk in 1905 was closed in 1963. Around 25 mines had been sunk in the small coalfield including Bank End, Moorwood, Broadhey, Diglee, Ringstones, Hockerley Hall, Mosley House, Horwich House, Coolham, Shallcross Hall (Brickbarn), Taxal, Fernilee, Errwood Hall, Castedge, Boothmans, Wharf, Shallcross New, Gisbornes and Wood. A pit at Fernilee had existed in 1606.


Parliament

Sir Alec Douglas-HomeSir Alec Douglas-Home who renounced his peerage as Lord Home (pronounced Hume) took over from Harold Macmillan as Prime Minister (Conservative) from 18 Oct 1963 to 16 Oct 1964.

Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home (Lord Home) 1963-1964.
Department of Energy created. Minister of Power, Freddie Erroll (Con), 20th Oct 1963-1964.
President of Board of Trade, Edward Heath (Con), 20th Oct 1963-1964.


Return to Top

Pit Terminology - Glossary
Page 1
Page 3