Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Decline Of The Industry Continued
After Nationalisation 1947

Chimneys

1959
1961
1963
1961   1    2    3 

1961 - Page 2


Stanley Colliery Was Closed After 58 Years

On 7th July 1961Stanley colliery (Derbyshire) was closed after 58 yearsNo1 DC shaft 15' 0" (4.57m) diameter sunk 1903, 208 yards (190.2m) to Kilburn and No2 UC shaft was 10' 0" (3.05m) diameter. TheExit shaft at 6' 0" (1.83m) diameter was 11 yards (10m) deep to Low Main seam.

Surface drifts were driven to the Low Main in 1936 by the Mapperley Colliery Co and included Hillside (later Stanley No2) 10' 0" x 8' 0" arches by 1938 and used as an intake airway.

The pit is situated at the village of West Hallam near Ilkeston. First face started June 1941.
Pithead baths and canteen were opened 25/4/1953 and closed on 2/2/1962.

Highest manpower was 596 in 1949 and highest output 287,383 tons in 1956.

No1 shaft ceased production Nov 1958. The pumps were withdrawn from the pit bottom in Dec 1959 and the winding ropes were removed from the headgear 21/12/1959. Stanton Ironworks Co installed a Beresford submersible pump in No1 shaft in June 1961 at 140 yards (127.5m) down.

No2 drift ceased production 7/7/1961 and pumping ceased June 1962when the power was cut off. A stopping was built in the drift in June 1962and also a stopping built at the bottom of the 1in3 Escape drift.

Demolition work was carried out from April to December 1963 and bricks from the chimney, surface buildings, screens, power house, loco shed, No1 winder etc was tipped down No2 shaft and the top was filled in with shale. The water level lay at 24.3 yards (22.2m) and never rose to the surface.

This was the last mine in the district. No more walking to work for the miners who were transferred to other pits.

Seams worked

  • Kilburn -1918 and –Dec 1958
  • Low Main – Mar 1957, -1976
  • Piper 1951-1961.  Originally 2 shafts were sunk in 1891 to Kilburn at 210 yards (192m). Shaft position No1: SK44SW, 442532, 340938. 
    Stanley Piper seam opened 1951, exhausted by 7th July 1961. There were old shafts 100 yards (91m) deep.
    350,000 gallons of water per day pumped.  Low Main cover line to surface 30 yards (27.5m).

Output and Manpower NCB: No5 Area EMD

  • 1947: 187,373 tons, 537 men
  • 1948: 227,666 tons, 557 men
  • 1949: 252,533 tons, 596 men max
  • 1950: 227,921 tons, 556 men
  • 1951: 232,013 tons, 543 men
  • 1952: 256,030 tons, 546 men
  • 1953: 253,259 tons, 548 men
  • 1954: 251,382 tons, 554 men
  • 1955: 284,054 tons, 537 men
  • 1956: 287,383 tons max, 543 men
  • 1957: 248,192 tons, 527 men
  • 1958: 193,442 tons, 451 men
  • 1959: 161,190 tons, 355 men
  • 1960: 142,147 tons, 269 men
  • 1961: 75,691 tons, 155 men.  Colliery ceased production July 1961

Agents

  • FM Brown (1135) Agent 1936-1938
  • S Barber Agent 1938-1946
  • J Smillie (2828) Agent 1947-1950
  • Ben Denton (2594) Agent 1952-

Sub-Area Managers / Group Managers

  • Eric W Potts (2131) Sub-Area Manager 1950-1952
  • P Cliff Parry Sub-Area Manager (4149) 1952-1956
  • Sam S Thornhill (3123) Group Manager 1957-1961

Managers for Stanley (and Hillside)

  • Ben Denton (2594) Manager 1936-1939
  • Charles E Bremner-Smith (3084) 1939-1949
  • FM Ball (2339) Manager 1950-1952
  • John Hobley (2651) Manager 1952-1960 (been at the same pit for almost 41 years, transferred to Woodside) 1961
  • Manager William E Bridgett (3816).

Undermanagers

  • M Eyre Junior (2713) 1936-1937
  • John Hobley (2651) 1937-1952 (promoted to Manager)
  • R Harrison (2nd) 1952-1961

Surveyors

  • Bernard P Cullen (3163) under supervision of SEG Hill (870) Group Surveyor
  • Denis Wardingley (2441).

Fatal Accidents: See Alan Beales Fatalities

F Donald Severn (977) retired as Area General Manager No4 Area at Huthwaite and was succeeded by Harry B Bennett (2820), from No7 Area, who had been Manager at Bestwood and Cinderhill in the past. His salary was £3,700pa (quote by son Brian Bennett).


See also "Down t'Pit" by Joan Law in Mapperley History


The Photo Was Taken At NCB Headquarters Or Stanley Pit

And appears in the May/June 1959 West Hallam And Mapperley Parish Magazine

Men are (left to right):-
Bob Harrison - Under - Manager lived in Stanley
Ted Yates - Stanley
Freddie Miles - Chaddesden
Alf Aldred (with trophy) - Stanley Common
Harry Beardsley - West Hallam
George Pearson (Edie Pearson's husband, late of Mapperley)
Joe Hobley Pit Manager - West Hallam

This was the No 5 Area Challenge Shield.All 7 had close and long connections with the local Division of the St John Ambulance Brigade and all at some time were members of the competition team for the local Division whose name was Mapperley Division although it covered both local collieries and anyone else interested.

All except Joe Hobley were uniformed members of the St John Ambulance Brigade and all at some time helped with the junior group known as St John Ambulance Cadets. Bob Harrison was Divisional Superintendent for the cadets and at different times Alf Aldred and Ted Yates were Divisional Officers. Ted Yates, Harry Beardsley and George Pearson at different times helped to train the Cadets' competition team who themselves won many trophies.

I know because I was one of them and captained the team at one time!

Alan Cooper


Pit Pony Competitions

Inter-colliery competition for best pit pony was fierce in 1961 as a photo of a plaque shows. The photo shows a horse from Sherwood winning a similar competition.


Ripping Platform

A ripping platform was introduced with ram packer by Dowty.  Triple-web long roof bars or ‘false leg’ support system introduced at Donisthorpe (Leicestershire).


Old Wooden Headgear Demolished

The old wooden headgear at Clay Cross No2 (Derbyshire) sunk in 1850, but last used in 1930 was demolished in September 1961, as it was in a dangerous condition.


Dawson Miller

A Dawson Miller stable-hole machine was introduced at Swadlincote (South Derbyshire). A bi-di shearer with cowl used to replace a static plough and Bretby cable handler and ploughing off the AFC (armoured face conveyor).  A Joy ripping machine was installed at Coppice (Derbyshire). 

The Joy ripping machine at Coppice Colliery was taken out of service after a few months. The machine produced too much dust when it was cutting, possible reasons are inadequate dust suppression measures along with problems caused by the strata. The Mines Inspector had viewed the machine in action and was concerned about the dust production.
Phi Wyles

Menu

Pit Terminology - Glossary