1948 - Page 2
Under the reorganisation scheme the Clipstone No1 shaft was deepened by 21st April 1948 to Low Main horizon. No2 shaft shortly afterwards.
Deputies and Shotfiring
From 22/3/1948 no Deputy in charge of a district could fire more than 10 shots per shift unless it was reported to the Divisional Inspector with the reason for fixing the number above, but under no circumstance were more than 20 shots to be fired. This did not apply to sinking or drifting.
Manpower at Bolsover colliery (Derbyshire) reached 1,515. A weekly output record of 10,779 tons was achieved at Pleasley (Derbyshire) in May. Manpower at Babbington reached a maximum of 2,025 with the merger of Cinderhill (Nottinghamshire).
Double Shift Working Introduced
Double-shift coal working was introduced at Linby (Nottinghamshire) in 1948. Generally at all pits coal turning was on days, turning over the face conveyor and maintenance on afters, with cutting shift on nights.
Newstead Dunsil Seam
The Dunsil seam workings were abandoned at Newstead (Nottinghamshire) in favour of the newly developed 4 feet (1.22m) thick High Main.
The Tupton seam was worked from the deepened No2 shaft at Moorgreen (Nottinghamshire).
Teversal Top Hard
The Top Hard seam was abandoned at Teversal (Nottinghamshire) in April 1948, having been worked continuously since 1869. The seam had a strong sandstone roof over most of the take and many gate roads needed no support, other than the odd wooden leg or a bit of cockering. Double cockering using wood is shown in the foreground and single cockering in the background, in the photograph. Roof falls are evident.
Daily Pumping Necessary
However daily pumping was required from the old North side to prevent flooding at Pleasley colliery (Derbyshire) which lay to the dip side. A pump man had to travel this roadway every day. Later in the 1960s an Inspector of Mines condemned the roadway and had it stopped off. As it was prophesied the water made its way to Pleasley stables after a couple of weeks where it had to be pumped out.
Statutory Holiday Pay
Statutory holiday pay rates per shift were increased on 1st May 1948 to
- 20s 10d (£1.04) for adults
- 16s 8d (83⅓p) for 18 to 20 years
- 12s 6d (62½p) for under 18.
Holiday pay for 1948 for the one week was
- £6 5s 0d (£6.25) for adults
- £5 0s 0d (£5.00) for 18 to 20 years
- £3 15s 0d (£3.75) for under 18.
The Craftsmen’s Agreement of June 1948 gave a national aggregate wage for skilled craftsmen on the surface of 21s 0d (£1.05) per shift. The rate underground was increased by 2s 6d (12½p) but the total was not to exceed 23s 6d (£1.17½) per shift.
Nottinghamshire Miners Being Robbed
The Nottinghamshire miners advocated that they were being robbed of higher wages by being locked into a nationalised system which subsidised less efficient mining areas.
Gas Pipe Lines And Subsidence
The Gas Act 1948 was passed, thus making the Gas Boards responsible for the installation of the Methane Gas trunk pipeline system, and certain provisions of the Mines (Working Facilities and Support) Act 1923 were adopted. The protected area was a zone of 20 feet (6m) measured laterally from the pipe for the entire length of the pipe. A large diameter pipe would be built across the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire and Yorkshire Coalfield and notices would have to be sent and possible subsidence measuring tasks carried out by Surveyors.
The mines were re-valued for rating purposes. Obviously values had increased since the last valuation.
Planning Permission Required For Underground Working
Under the Town and Country Planning Act, any new mine sunk after 1st July 1948 would have to have compulsory planning permission for the first time for underground workings and dictated that from this date any new mines sunk in the country would have to have the underground working layout approved before work could commence. This would apply to the future Bevercotes, Calverton, Cotgrave, High Moor and Asfordby mines. Existing workings were reviewed and planning permission was also tightened for pit top buildings and spoil tips.
Permission or rejection was implemented by the local planning authority overseen by the Ministry of Town and Country Planning (to 1951).
Collieries Sunk or Opened in 1948
- Broadhey (North West Derbyshire), closed previously in 1919 was re-opened, by a Day eye to Yard mine or Big or Kiln seam 3’ 0” (0.91m), old tunnel leading to Yard mine, Surveyor John Mort (187) June 1948
- Woodside No1 Drift (Derbyshire) opened during the year by the NCB to work the gleanings left by the old miners many years previously and a connection was made to Old Sam’s Top Hard shaft for ventilation purposes. Manton No4 shaft (Nottinghamshire) was sunk.
Colliery Closures 1948
- Bretby (Leicestershire) (Countess of Chesterfield), 329/129
- Broadhey (RE Knowles Ltd Furness Vale Works) Yard mine, coal 3’ 0” (0.91m), no coal, old day eye worked prior to 1919 had been re-opened, closed June 1948, Surveyor John Mort (187)
- Diglee drift (RE Knowles Ltd) Furness Vale, opened 1938 to Yard mine 3’ 6” (1.07m), 8 day eyes, one area met old workings and barren ground, the second area up to outcrop, third area up to old works and unworkable coal, 30/9/1948
- Quarry pit Mosborough, Parkgate (Swallow’s Sough an old level was in the vicinity, as was Galey’s pit and Fox’s Air pit)
- Netherseal, Little Woodfield or Toad seam, Lower Main or Slate, Four Foot or Dicky Gobbler worked
- Reservoir (South Derbyshire), sunk 1873, closed March 1948
- Ripley (ex Butterley) E440440 N349970, E440512 N349937
- Thorntree Drift No1, (ex Hall’s Collieries Ltd), Woodfield and Stockings, Nov 1948
- Stanton, Matts Yard (ex J and N Nadin and Co Ltd) (South Derbyshire), (photo), Little Woodfield at 133 yards (122m), closed, uneconomic 21st Feb 1948, Agent FM Joyce (844), Surveyor Arthur A Hook (63)
- Whitecotes Nos 2 and 3 (Boythorpe Co Ltd), Chesterfield, Piper seam
- Wingfield Park No1 (H and C Hartshorne), Kilburn 3’ 10” (1.17m), 3 adits, one air shaft, room and pillar work, uneconomical, 16th June, Surveyor William M Erskine (Cert No 1518).
Note: At New London Colliery shaft at 12' 0" (3.65m) diameter debris was tipped in during Oct/Nov 1948. Repairs were done to the brickwork around the shaft for security in Mar 1949. Pumping had continued at the shaft at 40 gals per minute for 14 hours a day since before1938. (By May 1951 there was no water standing in the shaft and there was a water feeder running into the shaft at about 80 yards (73m) down from the surface and the debris level was at 144.5 yards (133.2m, and the Low Main level was at 217 yards (198.4m) so the water was obviously entering the old workings and migrating to surrounding mines.
Birley East Became A Training Centre
Birley East (South Yorkshire) (ex Sheffield Coal Co Ltd), Parkgate at 151 yards (138m) deep abandoned 11/4/1905, unprofitable, G Bradford Agent and Manager; Parkgate, white rock and cank, blue bind 3’ 0” (0.91m), roof coal 11” (0.28m), dirt 2” (0.05m), coal 4’ 5” (1.35m), white rock and cank floor, 15/10/1943, Surveyor K Lancaster (1052) (May 1932) No1 Area, North East Division, NCB 10/6/1948; previously Silkstone 30/6/1918; Thorncliffe 29/11/1945, Surveyor A Rogus (854), Agent Rowland Bennett; Flockton 10/6/1948, Alan Newton (1900). The colliery was retained and used as a Government Training Centre for entrants from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as well as Yorks.
Agreement To Work Overtime
However the agreement to work overtime on coal production due to the country needing coal for industry etc was extended firstly from October 1947 to April 1948, then again until April 1949.