Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Continued Rise Of The Industry
To 1913

Bk2
Chimney
1829

1829


1829 - Humphry Davy, President of the Royal Society died.


Glover’s Directory

Glovers Directory of 1829 listed 108 active coalmines in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
and included

  • Hallfields (3/4 mile South West of Newhall
  • Newhall (1 mile South West)
  • Newhall Park closed
  • Stanton
  • Waterfield (1¼ miles South West of Newhall) closed
  • Several other small pits mentioned in Spring Wood area, such as Russia or Blewes colliery (sunk 1812 by Nadin)
  • Others sunk to South of Newhall at Hallfield and Waterfield to North East of Stanton to Castle Gresley Road.

Competent Manager And Surveyor

Nathaniel Nadin was listed as a competent Manager and Surveyor.


Wages

In that year, miners at Alfreton were paid between 2s 6d (12½p) and 4s 6d (22½p) a day. 


Farey's List Of Pits

Derbyshire pits that were noted by Farey in 1808 and still working in 1829 were: -

  • Adelphi (or Duckmanton) near Long Duckmanton, 12th coal (an iron furnace and mines)
  • Alfreton furnace (near Somercotes)
  • Benty Field ¾ mile East of Codnor, Smithey coal
  • Blackwell, ⅓ mile North East of town
  • Boythorp, ¾ mile South of Chesterfield, 9th coal
  • Brimmington ½ mile West South West of town, 8th coal
  • Brimmington Moor 1 mile South of the town, 6th coal
  • Butterley (Carr) ⅓ mile North East of Ripley (an iron furnace and mines) worked formerly by a tunnel for boat
  • Butterley Park 1 mile North East of Ripley (over the Cromford Canal tunnel)
  • Castle Hill 1 mile North of Pentrich, 10th coal
  • Chesterfield Towns End North West of town, 9th coal
  • Clown ½ mile West of the town
  • Coal Aston 1 mile North East of Dronfield, 8th coal
  • Codnor Nether Park 1½ miles North East of Codnor
  • Codnor Upper Park 1¼  miles North North East of Codnor
  • Cotmanhay Wood 2 miles North of Ilkeston
  • Denby Hall 1¾  miles  North of Denby Church
  • Dronfield ¼ mile North West of town, formerly all round it, 8th coal
  • Eckington ¾ mile South West of the Church, 9th coal
  • Glasshouse Common 1 mile North North East of Whittington 8th coal
  • Grass Hill (or Hasland) South East of Hasland, 2¼ miles  South East of Chesterfield, 12th coal, (an iron furnace and mines)
  • Grass Moor (Platts) 1 mile West of Temple Normanton, 12th coal
  • Greenhill Lane 2¼ miles East South East of Alfreton
  • Greenwich ⅓ mile East of Ripley and 1¼ miles North West of Codnor
  • Hady ¾ mile East of Chesterfield, 8th coal
  • Hartshay 1 mile South of Pentrich, 12th coal
  • Heanor ½ mile South East of the town, South South West and West of the town
  • Henmore 1¼ miles West South West of North Winfield, Cannel, 8th coal
  • Higham South of the village, ½ mile West of Shirland, 9th coal
  • High House (or Owlcotes) ½ mile North West of Heath, 12th coal
  • High Lane North of houses, 2¼ miles North West of Eckington, 8th coal
  • Hill Top ½ mile South of Dronfield, 8th coal
  • Hollingwood Common ½ mile East of Brimmington, 8th, 9th and 10th coals worked by a tunnel for boats
  • Ilkeston Common (or Benersley) 1 mile North East of the town
  • Langley Mill South of houses, ½ mile East of Heanor
  • Lings ¾ mile South South West of Temple Normanton, 12th coal
  • Lounsley Green 1¾ miles West North West of Chesterfield, 8th coal
  • Morley Park 1 mile South South East of Heage, 9th coal, an iron furnace and mines
  • Mossborough Moor North West of village, 1½ miles North West of Eckington, 8th coal
  • Nether Birchwood 2 miles South East of Alfreton
  • Newbold Common 2¼ miles North West of Chesterfield, 10th coal
  • Norbrigs 1¼ miles East North East of Staveley, 12th coal
  • Oakerthorpe East of village, 1 mile South West of Alfreton, 12th coal
  • Pentrich ½ mile South South East of the town, 12th coal
  • Pinxton ½ mile North East of church and ⅓ mile East South East
  • Riddings South East of village, 2¾ miles South East of Alfreton
  • Ripley South West of village, 1½ miles South South East of Pentrich
  • Roby West Field ¾ mile North West of Denby Church
  • Shipley 1 mile South South East of Heanor 244 yards (223m) deep
  • Shirland ½ mile South of the town, 11th coal
  • Slack Fields ½ mile East of Horsley, 4th coal
  • Somercotes East of village, 2¼ miles South East of Alfreton
  • South Normanton ½ mile South of church. This pit was to the east of Berristow pit. A tramway from Huthwaite passed between the 2 mines leading to the main road (now A38), no doubt a loading wharf for the distribution of the coal
  • Spinkhill Common East of village, 1¼ miles North West of Barlborough, 12th coal
  • Stanton at South East end of Stanton Ward, 1¼ miles West of Newhall
  • Staveley 1 mile South West of town, 12th coal
  • Stone Gravel ¾ mile North of Chesterfield, 9th coal, also ½ mile South West of this
  • Stretton East of village, 2 miles North, North West of Shirland, 9th coal
  • Sudbrook (or Sudale) ⅓ mile South South East of Barlow, 8th coal
  • Swanwick Delves East South East of houses 1¾ miles  South South East of Alfreton
  • Swanwick Green 1½ miles South South West of Alfreton, brasses
  • Tibshelf ⅓ mile South of church
  • Troway South of village, 2½ miles East South East of Eckington, 8th coal, Smithy coal
  • Tupton Green 1 mile North West of North Winfield, 9th coal
  • West Hallam (or Ferneyford) near Lewcotegate, 1 mile North East of West Hallam
  • Whittington Moor ⅔ mile South East of Church, 10th coal
  • Wildens Mill ⅔ mile West North West of Brimmington, 8th coal
  • Wingerworth Park North West of Hall, 2 miles South of Chesterfield, 9th coal
  • Woodhouse (or Stubley) ¼ mile South West of village, 1¾ miles West of Dronfield, 8th coal. 
    (69 Pits)

Collieries That Were Sunk After 1808 and Still Open in 1829 Are Listed

  • Alderwasley North West of village, 1½ miles East of Wirksworth, 1st coal
  • Alton South of village, 1¼ miles East North East of Ashover, 3rd coal
  • Aspinshaw West of Hayfield, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Baslow 1¾ miles East of the town, 2nd coal, brasses
  • Belper Lane End 1 mile North West of Belper, 1st coal, brasses
  • Berley Moor North of village, 2¾ miles West of Beighton, 10th coal
  • Black Clough (or Beat) ½ mile North West of Flash in Hartington Parish, 1st and 2nd coals; a great fault across the works, worked lately by a tunnel for boats
  • Bore Lane South of Chisworth, 1¾ miles North North East of Mellor, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Bramley Moor 2¼ miles West of Eckington, 8th coal
  • Bretby (Bradby) ¾ mile North West of Newhall
  • Broadhurst Edge 1½ miles South East of Mellor, in Glossop, 3rd coal
  • Bugsworth North West of Chapel-en-le-Frith, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Burnd Edge in Ollersett, South West of Hayfield, 2nd coal
  • Calow West of village, 2 miles East of Chesterfield, 11th coal
  • Combs South East of Charlesworth, 2½ miles South West of Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Compstal Bridge 1½ miles North West of Mellor, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Cowpasture near Beard, in Glossop, 2¾ miles North West of Chapel-en-le-Frith, 2nd coal
  • Dolly Gutter ¾ mile North West of Belper, 1st coal, brasses
  • Donisthorpe North East of village, 1¼ miles North West of Measham, (pits 155½ yards (142m) deep and coal 17 feet (5m) thick)
  • Dore North East of town, 2nd coal, brasses
  • Eaves Knowl (Bower’s and Longder’s) pits West and South West of New Mills in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Goyte Moss (or Coit) East and North of Moss Houses, 2½ miles West of Buxton, 2nd coal
  • Grass Moor ½ mile West of Temple Normanton, 12th coal
  • Gresley ⅓  mile West of Church Gresley
  • Hall Fields ¾ mile South West of Newhall
  • Holly Wood (Bilborough) ¾ mile South East of Bilborough Church, under yellow lime
  • Lees Hall 1 mile North West of Norton, 5th coal
  • Longhurst Lane ½ West of Mellor chapel, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Lower House (or Cuckoo-bush Hill) ¾ mile West of New Mills, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Ludworth near Compstal Bridge, 1½ miles North West of Mellor, in Glossop, 2nd coal, crowstone
  • Measham Fields 1 mile East South East of Measham
  • Moor Top (Top of Moor) near Chinley Hay, 2 miles South South West of Hayfield, 2nd coal
  • Newhall 1 mile South West of village in Stapenhill
  • Ringinglow Bar South West of Inn, 2¼ miles North West of Dore, 2nd coal, crowstone
  • Shallcross (or Shawcross) East of Taxhall, 2¾ miles West South West of Chapel-en-le-Frith
  • Shaw Hay (or Ernocroft) 1¼  miles North of Mellor, in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Simondley South West of village, 2 miles South West of Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Swadlingcote ⅓ mile North West of village, ½ mile South South East of Newhall, Smithy coal
  • Thatch March (Marsh) in Hartington, 2 miles South of Buxton, (works 2¼ miles long, 1st coal in railway tunnel)
  • Woodwards Close South of Swadlingcote, 1 mile North East of Church Gresley. 
    (40 Pits)

In 1829 The Following Pits Had Been Closed Since 1808

  • Apperknowl Common East of Dronfield, 9th coal, lately
  • Ashgate in Brampton, 2 miles West of Chesterfield, 7th coal
  • Berrisford Moor West of Tupton, near Wingerworth furnace, ½ mile North West of North Winfield, 9th coal
  • Berristow 1mile East North East of South Normanton, lately (1828)
  • Biggin 1 mile North East of Tibshelf
  • Birkin Lane 2¼ miles North East of Ashover, 3rd coal, lately
  • Bole Hill South East of houses, 1¼ miles South West of Eckington, 8th coal
  • Carter Lane 1 mile North of Pinxton Church, lately
  • Chesterfield Furnace (East Smith and Co) ½ mile West South West of town, 9th coal, an iron furnace and mines
  • Chesterfield Towns End North West, 9th coal
  • Clay Cross 1¼ miles South West of North Winfield, 9th coal
  • Coldwell (or Cawdle) West of Renishaw Hall, ½ mile South of Eckington, 10th coal
  • Combes Moss  2 miles North of Buxton, 1st coal
  • Dale Abbey North East of Chapel, formerly with iron furnace and mines
  • Dimings Dale ¾ mile East of Blackwell
  • Duckmanton Common 1 mile South West of Long Duckmanton Chapel, 11th and 12th coals
  • Four Lane Ends West of Inn, 1¼ miles West of Alfreton, 10th coal
  • Gander Lane ¾ mile North East of Killamarsh
  • Hallam Bridge (or Nutbrook) 1 mile North of Stanton by Dale
  • Harstoft West of houses, 1½ miles North of Tibshelf
  • Hartshorn ½ mile North East of town and ¼ mile South of town
  • Hazlewell ½ mile West of Barlborough
  • Heage (or Buckland Hollow) North of town, 4th coal
  • Heage Bent (or Nether End) West and South West of the town, 3rd coal
  • Heath ¾ mile West and South West of town and ½ mile North East, South and South East and in the intermediate space, 12th coal
  • Highfield Lane (Boden’s) near Four Lane Ends, 1 mile West of Alfreton
  • Holbrook ⅓ mile East of town, 3rd coal, lately 1828
  • Horsley ¼ mile North East of Church, 4th coal
  • Horsley Woodhouse West of houses, 1 mile North East of Horsley
  • Ilkeston South of Church
  • Killamarsh, Nether Moor, ½ mile North West of Church, 12th coal
  • Killamarsh old Delph South of church, 13th coal
  • Kniticar (or Nitticar) 1 mile North East of Barlborough
  • Little Common in Brampton, 1½ miles West of Chesterfield, 8th coal, lately 1828
  • Little Hallam North of the village, ½ mile South of Ilkeston
  • Loco Lane 1¼ miles South East of North Win(g)field
  • Middle Duckmanton ⅓ mile North, North West of Long Duckmanton
  • Miln Hay 1 mile East North East of Heanor
  • Moor Top (or Duckmanton Common) South of Calow, 2¼ miles East South East of Chesterfield, 9th coal
  • Morley ⅓ mile East of town
  • Nether Field 1 mile South South East of Beighton, 12th coal
  • New Brampton 1 mile West of Chesterfield, 7th and 8th coals
  • Newton ½ mile East North East of Blackwell
  • Nuthall on the South side of the Park, 1 mile North, North West of Bilborough 160 yards (146m) deep, under yellow limestone)
  • Onestone (or Ounston) South East of village, 1½ miles South East of Dronfield, 8th coal
  • Palterton West of houses, 1¼ miles South South West of Bolsover
  • Pebley Lane (Rode’s) West of Inn, 1¼ miles North of Barlborough, a great fault between this and Knitaker colliery
  • Perkins ½ mile East South East of Newhall
  • Pilsley Lane 1¼ miles South South East of North Win(g)field
  • Pistern 1¼ miles North, North West of Smisby, 1¼ miles from Hartshorn
  • Plaistow Green South East of houses, 1 mile North North East of Crich, 1st coal
  • Roby East Field 1 mile East of Denby Church
  • Shuttlewood Common 1½ miles North of Bolsove
  • Simon Field South East of Park Hall, 1 mile South East of Smalley
  • Smalley ½ mile North North East of town
  • Smalley Common ¾ mile South South West of town Smithy Houses North East, ½ mile North West of Denby Church;
  • Smithy Moor South West of Stretton, 1¾ miles North North West of Shirland, 9th coal
  • Stanfrey (or Horsecroft) East of houses, 2¼ miles North North East of Bolsover, lately 1828
  • Stanley Common 1 mile North West of West Hallam
  • Stubley 1¼ miles North West of Dronfield, 8th coal
  • Sutton (in Scarsdale) ¼ mile North West of Church, 12th coal
  • Tapton ¼ mile South of Hall, North East of Chesterfield, 8th coal
  • Thickwood North West of Ouler Bar, 1¾ miles West North West of Holmesfield in Dronfield, 2nd coal
  • Water Field East of Stanton, 1¼ miles  West South West of Newhall
  • White Holly Coppy or White Hollow  lately 1828
    (65 Pits)

The Following Pits Were Sunk After 1808 But Closed By 1829

  • Ankerbold near Tupton, ¾ mile North West of North Winfield, 9thcoal
  • Arborlands 1 mile South South West of Eckington, 9th coal
  • Bank South East of village, 1¼ miles South West of Holmesfield, 5th coal
  • Barlow Common ¼ mile West of town, 8th coal
  • Beeley Moor at South end of Chatsworth Park, 1 mile North East of Beeley, 1st coal
  • Beighton Field East South East of Barlborough
  • Belper Gutter ½  mile East of Belper, 2nd  coal
  • Belper Town North West of church, 1st coal
  • Bent near Whitemoor, 1 mile North East of Belper, 2nd coal
  • Birkin Lane 2¼ miles North East of Ashover, 3rd coal
  • Blackfordby  was a shallow mine and was flooded
  • Littleworth, Milk Hill, Norris Hill, Sweet Hill and Wooden Box
  • Brian’s Coppy 1¼ miles South South West of Calke
  • Chatsworth Old Park 1½ miles South East of Baslow, 2nd coal
  • Chevinside ¾ mile South West of Belper, 1st coal
  • Cutthorpe ¾ mile South of Barlow, 8th coal
  • Far Lane South East of houses, 1 mile North West of Barlow, 7th coal
  • Ferneylee West of houses, 3¼ miles West South West of Chapel-en-le-Frith, 2nd coal
  • Gleedless Common East and North East of village, 8th coal
  • Gosley Waste 1 mile South West of Hartshorn
  • Gresley Hall North of Gresley Castle in Church Gresley
  • Hag ¾ mile North West of Dale Abbey
  • Harwood Grange ¼ mile South of the cupola, 2¾ miles East of Beeley, dug open
  • Hasland North East , 1¼ miles South East of Chesterfield, 9th coal
  • High Ash North East of houses, 1¼ miles West of Barlow, 7th coal
  • Hopping Hill East of houses, 1¼ miles  South of Belper, 1st coal
  • Lea South of village, 2½ miles South East of Matlock, 1st coal
  • Longway Bank (or Longnor) 1 mile North of Alderwasley, in Wirksworth, 1st coal
  • Lower Hag 1 mile North West of Dale Abbey
  • Lumsdale 1 mile North East of Matlock, 1st coal
  • Measham North and North East of town
  • Newbold Field North of house, 2½ miles North West of Chesterfield, 10th coal
  • Newhall Park West of village, 1¾ miles North West of Church Gresley
  • Oakthorpe East of village, ⅔ mile North of Measham
  • Old Hall Wood ⅔ mile West South West of Mellor chapel in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Openwood Gate ⅔ mile South South East of houses, 1¼ miles South East of Belper, 3rd coal
  • Overthorp ½ mile South West of Killamarsh, 12th coal, lately 1828
  • Pingle ⅓ mile North West of Dale Abbey
  • Round Hole 1 mile North East of Church Gresley, lately
  • Salters Sitch South West of Ouler Bar, 1¾ miles West of Holmesfield, 2nd coal
  • Stanage Pole South West of the pole, 1½ miles North North East of Hathersage, 1st coal
  • Sutton Common (in Scarsdale) ⅔ mile North West of Church, 10th, 11th and 12th coals
  • Swinney ½ mile North East of Belper Bridge, 1st coal
  • Tansley Green 1¼ miles West of Matlock, 1st coal
  • Ticknall at South West end of town
  • Tor mine ⅓ mile South West of New Mills in Glossop, 2nd coal
  • Town Field 1 mile North West of Heage, 1st coal
  • Wheat Croft in Crich, North West of village, 1st coal
  • White Holly Coppy South of houses, 1½ miles South of Ticknall
  • Wigwell North East of houses, 1¾ miles East North East of Wirksworth, 1st coal
  • Wooden Box East of Swadlingcote, 1½ miles South East of Newhall, lately 1828
  • Wood Field (or Park Gate) ⅓  mile North of Newhall.  
    (50 Pits)

Companies

James Oakes and Co had 3 coal pits, 2 iron ore mines, 2 blast furnaces and a foundry and employed around 1,500 men and boys, 750 of them at the pits.   The Butterley Co (previously Benjamin Outram, Francis Beresford, William Jessop and John Wright) now owned furnaces, a foundry and had a steam engine factory at Butterley, and furnaces and a foundry and bar-iron works at Codnor.

They had collieries at Ormonde, Portland and Heanor (Bailey Brook) and Butterley Park, and owned the Crich limestone quarries and lime works, as well as the lime works at Codnor Park.

From 1824 - 1829 Jessop had pits at Selston and Thomas Francis Philip Hutchinson Barber agreed with Lancelot Rolleston of Watnall in 1829 to dig pits on the Watnall Estate.

Woodfield (or Parkgate (Nadin) closed, was sunk to the Woodfield seam which was 6 ‘ 0” (1.83m) thick, lying at app 90 yards (82m). Humphrey Nadin was the Manager. For a time it was worked by John Smedley when it was known as Smedleys pit in 1824. Previous Managers were Humphrey Nadin 1807-1810, Robert Brealey, James Heap and John Dent.


Glover

Glover stated that coal miners’ wages were between 15s (75p) and £1 per week, ironstone getters 12s (60p) to 14s (70p) and labourers 12s (60p).  £1 in 1829 would be equivalent of  about £50 in 2010.

According to Glover, pits in Derbyshire were being worked on the longway with long banks. He also stated that there were more than 15 coal mines situated around Duffield Frith, but most of them were now closed. He also stated that Hallfields (3/4 mile South West of Newhall), Newhall (1 mile to South West), Newhall Park, Stanton, Waterfield (1 ¼ miles West South West) and Woodfield (1/3 mile to North) all sunk prior to 1809 were still working.


Collieries Sunk or Opened 1829

  • Church Gresley (Mr Gregory), (South Derbyshire), later purchased by the Marquis of Hastings and improved. An excellent seam of coal some 6 yards (5.5m) thick was found at 270 yards (247m) deep and by October 1829 had been at work for some 5 weeks. Teams of men were set on day and night to supply the vendors. It was said that half the seam was hot and durable and burned with a brilliant white flame leaving hardly any ashes and could be used for Drawing rooms, Parlours and Bedrooms. The other part of the seam except the top part or Rider coal which was left in situ was also hot and durable and recommended for cooking, brewing and manufacturing. From the ‘dicey’ parts of the seam a clear hot coke is made suitable for use by Maltsters. The best coal was sold at the pithead for 5½d (just over 2p) a cwt. However the Good weight and the Long weight continued to be applied so it is unsure whether the correct weights stated were in fact absolutely true. On the Burton to Swadlincote road there was a toll bar where a charge of 3d (1½p app) was made for each horse passing by.
  • Stanton Lane (Bretby) (South Derbyshire).
  • Langley pit (Butterley Co) (North Derbyshire) commenced work.

Collieries Closed 1829

  • Overthorp near Killamarsh, 12th coal
  • Wooden Box SE of Newhall.

 

left 2

 

Go 1 1830