Banner
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me


Calendar
The Continued Rise Of The Industry
To 1913

Bk2
Chimney
1805

1806


Fatal Accidents 1806

In the first week in January 1806 5 colliers were let down the shaft at a pit near Chesterfield but near the pit bottom one of their candles ignited some sulphurous gas and all were dreadfully burned but a man named Orange was blown some 15 yards by the blast and was killed.

On 7th Feb 1806 a collier was killed by a fall of roof at Heage.


Parliament

Prime Ministers: Lord Grenville (Whig) 1806-1807. Duke of Portland (Tory) 1807-1809.


Iron Furnaces

Other iron furnaces in Derbyshire were at: -

  • Morley Park (Francis Hunt)
  • Chesterfield Griffin or New Brampton (Ebenezer Smith and Co)
  • Chesterfield Stone Gravel by the side of the Canal (Top and Co, later Smith and Armitage)
  • Wingerworth, 1780 (Joseph Butler)
  • Stavely (Staveley) 1786 near the Chesterfield Canal (Ward and Low, later Ward and Barrow)
  • Dale Abbey, 1788 rail-way to Nutbrook Canal (English and Co)
  • Butterley, 1792 (Outram and Co, later Butterley Co)
  • Renishaw, 1792, by the Canal (Appleby and Co)
  • Hasland or Grass Hill (John Brocksopp)
  • Duckmanton or Adelphi, 1799 (Ebenezer Smith and Co).
In 1806, James Oakes, Edwards and Co (previously Saxelby and Co) had blast furnaces at Somercotes

Coal Sent By Canal

At Pinxton No1 pit there was an early railway near to Pinxton Lower pit. At Codnor Park there was a tramway from the lime kilns to the Canal where a wharf had been built.


Joseph Boultbee

Joseph Boultbee had continued to work the pits at Lount and Peggs Green until he died in 1806 but John Boultbee left the leasehold colliery and lime works at Lount and Staunton Harold.


Sinkings

Sinkings 1806: Bond pit 30 yards (27m) and Oak Tree pit 18 yards (16m) deep at Greenhill Lane, part of Swanwick Colliery (Morewood).

A stone head was driven by Sam Potter and Bourne to find coal through a large fault in the Babbington area.


Collieries Closed in 1806

  • Awsworth pit (..?)
  • Beauvale Abbey pit north of Greasley (Barber and Walker)
  • Bramcote pit (..?)
  • Denby pit northeast of the Church (Lowe?)
  • Diminsdale (Chambers) near Tibshelf at Newton Wood Lane
  • Eastwood pit (Barber and Walker?)
  • Skegby old Wharf pit (Mrs Lindley)
  • Wood End pit (Skegby Colliery Co?) near to the Woodend Inn on Chesterfield Road, Huthwaite where a small area of Top Hard coal was worked between 1800 and 1806 from a single shaft.
  • The Engine pits at Greenhill Lane (Morewood) were 121½ yards (111m) deep to Top Hard.

Turn Pike Road

The Butterley Turn Pike Road from Alfreton to Derby opened in 1807 at a cost of £7,286 or around £560 a mile.  At Denby (Derbyshire) whilst excavating for the Alfreton to Derby Turnpike some coal seams and layers of good quality clay were exposed. A potter from Belper, William Bourne, realised the significance of the find and eventually over the years Denby Pottery was established and prospered. The distinctive brown and mottled surface of the wares was achieved by throwing salt into the kilns during the firing process. Several small drift mines were established in the area working both the clay for the pottery and coal for the kilns.


Numerous Collieries

Derbyshire pits were numerous now and included Smithy Moor pits at Stretton, Barlborough Common pit west of the town.

Thomas Jewsbury Wilkes was General Manager of the Moira collieries up to now.

In 1807 Fisher and Mammott renewed the lease for Donisthorpe colliery.


Collieries Closed in 1807

  • Barlborough Widespread pit (.?)
  • Berristow (.?), South Normanton
  • Four Lane Ends (Boden’s) pit, West of Alfreton
  • Furnace or Harveys pits (Shuttleworth) (Earl of Moira) South Derbyshire
  • Gander Lane (?) ¾ mile north east of Killamarsh (North Derbyshire)
  • Little Common (.?) Brampton
  • Stanfrey or Horsecroft (.?)
  • Waterfield (.?)
  • Stanton; Woodhouse Lane (.?).

Fatal Accidents 1807

Greasley pit, Samuel Kirk (?) gassed in a coal pit ? Jan 1807

Skegby pit, Peter Smith (?) and Sam Smith his son (?) were both overcome by the ‘damp’ (blackdamp) on Saturday 24th Aug 1807. They were cleaning the waterway at the pit when they noticed the gas. They came out of the pit but Peter went back down as he had forgotten his spade. He returned to the shaft bottom and got in the trunk ready to be drawn out but collapsed and his father was let back down the shaft to assist him but he too fell from the trunk and perished. It would appear that by them dying from carbon dioxide poisoning the pit had little or no ventilation flow allowing blackdamp to accumulate near the floor as that gas is heavier than air.
They are noted in the Parish burial records of Sutton-in-Ashfield in 27 Oct 1807.


Nottinghamshire Pits Working in 1807

  • Beauvale Nos 1 – 8 pits (Barber and Walker) situated in the valley between Cordy Lane and Willey Lane (Hunt’s Hill) Underwood, and most probably worked the Top Hard seam,
  • Eastwood colliery (Barber and Walker) situated in the town
  • Beggarlee engine pit (Barber and Walker) (situated near to the later but now closed Moor Green colliery (1985) off Engine Lane at Eastwood) and Farey noted that 2 collieries were working
  • Brinsley Old 1 mile north of Eastwood
  • Brinsley New (Kirkby Fenton’s) which was situated close to the Brinsley Brook (..?) off Cordy Lane and 1¾ miles to the North East of Eastwood.  At this colliery with 2 x 10 ft (3.05m) dia shafts, large buckets of water descending an inclined plane were used to draw coals. 
  • Brinsley Old pit situated nearby closed down shortly after this date. 

Fatal Accidents 1808

On 6th Jan 1808 a collier Charles Hunt was killed when he fell off the rope whilst ascending the pit at Denby.

Colliery Sinkings 1808

  • Bank End (Whaley Bridge) (...?)
  • Skegby Wharf pit was sunk to the Top Hard at 101 yards (92m) in 1806-1808 on Wharf Road, by Squire Dodsley at what is now known as Stanton Hill, but was then part of Skegby
  • Clays Whymsey pit 84 yards (77m)
  • Baker pit (Morewood?) 44 yards (40m) at Greenhill Lane / Leabrooks in 1808
    At the Pinxton Lower pit in that year, wooden rails were still in use for coal haulage.

Collieries Closed in 1808

  • Aldercar pit (Butterley?) near Langley Mill
  • Ankerbold (…?) near Tupton; Arborlands (…?) nr Renishaw Park
  • Ashgate (Barnes ? ) in Brampton
  • Carter Lane (H...) (1m north of Pinxton Church)
  • Coldwell (…?) Renishaw Park
  • Holbrook (?) East of town
  • Newbold Common (…?) Chesterfield
  • Nitticar (or Knitaker) (…?) east of Barlborough Hall
  • Overthorpe, nr Killamarsh.  (8)

John Farey

John Farey Senior in his book

A General View of Agriculture and Minerals
in Derbyshire

Published in 1811 lists the pits below, located in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire observed in 1808 

All Derbyshire pits unless annotated as Nottinghamshire pits (in brackets).


John Farey in Derby Museum. The silhouette is by his friend White Watson whilst the QR Code takes you to this article

Fatal Accidents 1809 

On 19th June 1809 a boy named John Taylor was descending the pit at Ripley when he fell from the chains and was killed.

Collieries Working

  • Adelphi or Duckmanton East of Calow
  • Ankerbold near Tupton, ¾ mile North West of North Wingfield
  • Aldercar (closed) near Langley Mill
  • Arbor Lands 1m South, South West of Eckington
  • Alfreton (closed) South and South West
  • Alfreton Furnace near Somercotes
  • Apperknowle Common, East of Dronfield
  • Ashgate in Brampton, 2 miles West of Chesterfield
  • Barlborough Common (closed) West of town
  • Barlborough (closed) West of town
  • Benty Field East of Codnor
  • Berrisford Moor West of Tupton
  • Berristow 1 mile East North East of South Normanton, (closed recently 1808)
  • Biggin 1 mile North, North East of Tibshelf
  • Blackwell (Pearson and Goodwin) North East of town
  • Bole Hill South West of Eckington
  • Boythorpe South of Chesterfield
  • Bramcote North East of Stapleford
  • Bramley Moor South of town
  • Brampton (see Little Common)
  • Brimington West South West of town
  • Brimington Moor South of town
  • Brinsley North of village (Nottinghamshire)
  • Butterley Carr North East of Ripley
  • Butterley Park North East of Ripley, over canal
  • Calow West of village (closed),  East North East of village
  • Carter Lane 1m North of Pinxton Church (just closed) 1808
  • Castle Hill 1m North of Pentrich
  • Chesterfield Furnace (East Smith and Co) West South West of town (closed)
  • Chesterfield Towns End North West of town (closed), now working further North West
  • Clay Cross South West of North Wingfield (closed)
  • Clown West of town
  • Codnor Nether Park North East of Codnor
  • Codnor Upper Park North, North East of Codnor
  • Coldwell South of Eckington (closed)
  • Coal Aston North East of Dronfield
  • Cossall (Nottinghamshire ) (closed)
  • Cotmanhay Wood
  • Denby North East of Church (closed)
  • Denby Hall North of Denby Church
  • Dimings Dale East of Blackwell (closed)
  • Dirty Hucknal (Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire ) near Blackwell, South West of Skegby
  • Dronfield North West of town, formerly all round
  • Duckmanton Common 1 mile South West of Long Duckmanton Chapel (closed)
  • Dunshill or Dunsill 1 mile West of Teversal (Nottinghamshire)
  • Dunston East of village
  • Eastwood (Nottinghamshire)
  • Eckington South West of Church
  • Espley (Aspley) Engines (Lord Middleton), near Nottingham
  • Fackley (Peter Chambers) (Nottinghamshire)
  • Ferney Ford (see West Hallam)
  • Four Lane Ends West of Inn, West of Alfreton (closed)
  • Gander Lane North East of Killamarsh
  • Glasshouse Common  1 mile North, North East of Whittington
  • Grass-Hill or Hasland South East of Hasland, South East of Chesterfield
  • Grassmoor (Platts) 1 mile West of Temple Normanton
  • Greenhill Lane East South East of Alfreton
  • Greenwich East of Ripley and North West of Codnor
  • Greasley (Nottinghamshire)
  • Hady East of Chesterfield
  • Hallam Bridge or Nutbrook 1 mile North of Stanton by Dale (closed)
  • Harstoft (Hardstoft) West of houses, North of Tibshelf
  • Hartshay 1 mile South of Pentrich
  • Hartshorn North East of town and South of town (both closed)
  • Hasland (see Grass-Hill)
  • Hazlewell West of Barlborough (closed)
  • Heage or Buckland Hollow North of town (closed)
  • Heage Bent or Nether End West and South West of town (closed)
  • Heanor South East of town and South and South West and West of town
  • Heath West and South West and North East and South and South East of village
  • Henmore West South West of North Wingfield
  • Higham South of village
  • High Field Lane (Boden’s) near Four Lane Ends, 1 mile West of Alfreton (closed)
  • High-House or Owlcotes North West of Heath
  • High Lane North West of Eckington
  • Hill Top South of Dronfield
  • Holbrook East of town (just closed)
  • Hollingwood Common East of Brimington (by tunnel for boats)
  • Horsley North East of Church (closed)
  • Horsley Woodhouse North East of Horsley (closed)
  • Hucknall Huthwaite (Richard Haslam and Robert William Booth) (Nottinghamshire)
  • Ilkeston South of Church (closed)
  • Ilkeston Common or Bennerley 1 mile North East of town (Nottinghamshire)
  • Killamarsh Nether Moor North West of Church (closed)
  • Killamarsh Old Delph South of Church (closed)
  • Kniticar or Nitticar 1 mile North East of Barlborough (closed)
  • Langley Mill South of houses, East of Heanor
  • Limes South of Greasley (Nottinghamshire)
  • Lings South, South West of Temple Normanton
  • Little Common in Brampton West of Chesterfield (closed recently) 1808
  • Little Hallam North of village and South of Ilkeston (closed)
  • Loco Lane South East of North Wingfield (closed)
  • Lounsley Green West North West of Chesterfield
  • Middle Duckmanton North, North West of Long Duckmanton (closed)
  • Miln-Hay 1 mile East North East of Heanor (closed)
  • Moor Top or Duckmanton Common South of Calow (closed)
  • Morley East of town (closed)
  • Morley Park 1 mile South, South East of Heage
  • Mossbrough Moor North West of  village North West of Eckington
  • Nether Birchwood 2 miles South East of Alfreton
  • Netherfield 1 mile South, South East of South, South East of Beighton (closed)
  • Newbold Common North of Chesterfield (closed), now working West of this
  • New Brampton (Crawshaw’s) 1 mile West of Chesterfield (closed)
  • Newton East and North East of Blackwell (closed)
  • Norbrigs East North East of Staveley
  • Nuthall South side of Park, 1 mile North, North West of Bilborough (closed) (Nottinghamshire)
  • Oakerthorpe East of village, 1 mile South West of Alfreton
  • Overthorpe South West of Killamarsh (closed lately) 1807
  • Onestone or Ounston, South East of village, South East of Dronfield (closed)
  • Owlcotes (see High House)
  • Palterton West of houses, South, South West of Bolsover (closed)
  • Pebley Lane (Rode’s) West of Inn, North of Barlborough (closed)
  • Pentrich South, South East of town
  • Perkins East South East of Newhall (closed)
  • Pilsley Lane South, South East of North Wingfield (closed)
  • Pinxton North East of Church and South, South East, also formerly South West and North West of Church
  • Pistern North, North West of Smisby and over 1 mile from Hartshorn (closed)
  • Plaistow Green South East of houses, 1 mile North, North East of Crich (closed)
  • Riddings South East of village
  • Ripley South West of village
  • Robbinetts  East of Cossall (Nottinghamshire)
  • Robey East-Field 1 mile East of Denby Church (lately) 1807
  • Robey West-Field North West of Denby Church
  • Shilo North West of Dirty Hucknall, 2 miles West South West of Skegby, (Nottinghamshire)
  • Shipley 1 mile South, South East of Heanor
  • Shirland South of town
  • Shuttlewood Common North of Bolsover (closed)
  • Simonfield South East of Smalley (closed)
  • Skegby (Dodsley), Wharf Road (Nottinghamshire)
  • Slackfields East of Horsley
  • Smalley North, North East of town (closed)
  • Smalley Common South, South West of town (closed)
  • Smithy Houses North East and North West of Denby Church (closed)
  • Smithy Moor South West of Stretton (closed)
  • Somercotes South East of Alfreton
  • Somercotes or Alfreton Furnace South East of Alfreton
  • South Normanton South of Church
  • Spinkhill Common East of village, North West of Barlborough
  • Stanfrey or Horsecroft East of houses, 2 miles plus North, North East of Bolsover (lately) 1807
  • Stanley Common 1 mile North West of West Hallam
  • Stanton West of Newhall
  • Stanton-by-Dale or Nutbrook (see Hallam Bridge)
  • Staveley 1 mile South West of town
  • Stone Gravel North of Chesterfield and also South West of this
  • Stretton East of village, 2 miles North, North West of Shirland
  • Stubley North West of Dronfield (closed)
  • Sudbrook or Sudale South, South, East of Barlow
  • Sutton (in Scarsdale) Derbyshire, North West of Church (closed)
  • Swanwick Delves East South East of houses, South East of Alfreton
  • Swanwick Green South, South West of Alfreton
  • Tapton South of Hall, North East of Chesterfield (closed)
  • Thickwood North West of Owler Bar (closed)
  • Tibshelf (Ben Chambers) South of Church
  • Townfield 1 mile North West of Heage (closed)
  • Troway South of village, East South East of Eckington
  • Trowell Moor 1 mile West of Wollaton (Nottinghamshire)
  • Tupton Green 1 mile North West of North Wingfield
  • Wales South, South, East of town, over Canal (closed)
  • Walton North, North East of Hall also South West of Hall
  • Waterfield East of Stanton (lately)
  • Westfield or Sough South West of Barlborough (closed)
  • West Hallam or Ferneyford near Lewcotegate, 1 mile North East of West Hallam
  • West Hallam Windmill Hill North West of town and also East of it (closed)
  • Whitley Wood West of Eccleshall/Barlow
  • Whittington Moor South East of Church
  • Wildens Mill West North West of Brimington
  • Wilders Green North West of houses, West of Barlow (closed)
  • Wingerworth Furnace North of Woodthorpe, 3 miles South of Chesterfield (closed)
  • Wingerworth Park North West of Hall, 2 miles South of Chesterfield
  • Wollaton West North West of town (Nottinghamshire)
  • Woodhall Moor South of village, 1 mile South West of Harthill
  • Woodhouse or Stubley West of Dronfield
  • Woodhouse Lane South West of Smalley Church (closed)
  • Wood Nook West North West of Sutton Scarsdale (closed)
  • Woodthorpe West of Tupton (closed)
  • Woodthorpe North of houses, East of Staveley (closed)
  • Bank End pit was sunk at Whaley Bridge.