Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me
Under certain safeguards, selected and trained first aid men in the coal mining industry have the privilege of being allowed to use, in an emergency, a preparation of morphia for the alleviation of suffering.
The drug is available in special ampoule preparation for those first aiders who have been trained in its use, and certified competent for this purpose.
Normally the drug is held in safes below ground - each safe serving a main man concentration area. In certain divisions of the National Coal Board modifications to tubular containers have been devised to store the drug in safety.
East Midlands Division NCB 1955
Ray Havill's Morphia Permit
MORPHIA CARD GIVEN TO MINES RESCUERS
WHEN TO GIVE MORPHIA
After emergency First Aid treatment has been carried out
in cases with SEVERE PAIN due to INJURY, such as:
Fractures of large bones, including spine.
Dislocations of large joints.
Crush injuries of limbs.
Burns and Scalds.
Abdominal injuries when medical attention cannot be obtained for two hours.
Other severe injuries if conscious and breathing.
WHEN NOT TO GIVE MORPHlA
Cases of illness.
If is or has been unconscious at any time.
Cases of Asphyxia from any cause.
HOW TO GIVE MORPHIA
1. Clean hands if possible.
2. Clean site for injection.
3. Withdraw ampoule from perspex case.
4. Depress wire plunger to break seal (try to avoid touching the needle).
5. Partly withdraw wire plunger.
6. Squeeze tube gently with needle upright until drop of fluid appears.
7. Withdraw wire plunger completely.
8. Inject into outer side of upper arm or thigh, or into healthy skin elsewhere.
9. Fill in label with details of pulse, colour, etc.
10. Attach label to patient where it can be seen.
11. Stay with patient who must be carried on a stretcher.
12. Complete the Dangerous Drug Register as soon as possible.
ONLY ONE AMPOULE TO BE GIVEN
(see also First Aid in Coal Mines Supplement)