Pinxton No. 1 was actually sunk in 1788. In 1780 Reverend D Ewes Coke inherited former lands in Pinxton from Miss Sarah Lillyman. D'Ewes' mother and father died when he was quite young. The Cokes lived at Kirkby Old Hall (Sacheverell Hall) and were neighbours of the Lillymans.
Following the death of his mother, D'Ewes father left to seek his fortune leaving young D'Ewes under the guardianship of Richard Lillyman at Brookhill Hall. When Sarah died in 1780 D 'Ewes inherited her estate, much of which had been in the ownership of the Cokes but was sold off, mainly to sitting tenants by D'Ewes grandfather.
With his new found fortune D'Ewes formed Pinxton Collieries Company and sank Pinxton No. 1 (Sleights) Pit. This was Pinxton's first deep mine.
Shortly after he was involved in financing the Cromford Canal (including the Pinxton Branch) to get his coal to Leicester and the south of England.
In 1795 his youngest son, John, was involved in the construction of the Pinxton Porcelain Factory. D'Ewes died in 1811. His son John was later (1816) in the development of the Mansfield Pinxton Railway.
Hope this information is of help.
In 1852 a second shaft. No6 was sunk close to No.1 down to the deep soft seam which lay 20 yards above the deep hard. A new winder was installed using flat hemp rope to operate a cage in each shaft, which held two trams each holding up to 1 ton of coal.
In 1856 a roadway was drove some 32 yards through faulted ground connecting the deep soft to the deep hard. No.2 pit was at the bottom of Slieghts Lane, this shaft was 130 yards deep and acted as the upcast, early ventilation was by the furnace method.
In 1872 a steam engine driving a Waddle Fan was installed, and then in 1925 an electric fan was installed, No.1, No.3, No.6 and Brookhill shafts acting as the air intakes.
No.2 ceased coal turning in 1947, after nationalisation, acting as the upcast shaft for Brookhill, and pumping water afterwards, until Brookhills closure in 1969.
No.3 was 112 yards deep, it ceased winding coal in 1910 when Brookhill headings in the low main (Tupton) reached the No.3 low main reserves, the shaft being kept open as an air and escape shaft. A 20hp electric winder replaced the steam winder which was scrapped, the chimney was demolished in 1930, the shaft being filled during 1955 and the headgear being demolished in 1958.
No.4 and No.5 shafts to the north of 2 + 3 were closed during 1860.