Sunk between 1900 and 1905 to the 740 yards deep Barnsley seam, other seams worked were the
Snibston Colliery opened in 1832 and on 16th December 1983 it closed. in 1915 a new shaft was sunk at Snibston called the ‘Stephenson’ shaft. In1963 a drift was completed down to the coal seams at Snibston. The South Leicester and Whitwick mines were later linked underground to Snibston, and from 1966 coal from all three pits was brought to the surface via the drift. Snibston is now a discovery park.
Pit Terminology - Glossary